How many think a first time gun owner should get a Glock

Hey @RUGER9 , is this a current photo or from the time she started shooting?

3 Likes

Good start. Maybe next work on getting the hand higher up into the backstrap/ā€˜beaver tailā€™ area and get those thumbs forward + more of the palm surface of the left hand in contact with the grip

3 Likes

:wink: :roll_eyes:
It supposed to be my part, correcting that grip. :joy:

I was hoping that was her first day with G26ā€¦

3 Likes

Yes I was 99% certain thatā€™s the direction you were going and I just kind of took the wind out lol

2 Likes

Itā€™s fron 2015 when I was teachig her to shoot

5 Likes

Ya, she was learning. I bet she could out shoot a bunch of men on here today. Sheā€™s become a pretty good shot & reads everything she can about gun laws in Texas as well as uscca videos. We train together. Iā€™m really proud of her. Sheā€™s 5ā€™1" & fearless

5 Likes

I donā€™t know if anyone responded to this. If one did I apologize for the redundancy. If not, the numbering for Glocks refers to the number of the patent for the company.

2 Likes

I still can see a gap under beaver tailā€¦ :wink:
Just sayingā€¦
Tight connection will fix recoil and muzzle flip issuesā€¦

3 Likes

Just buy her a Staccato, it automatically solves all those issues.:rofl:

4 Likes

Good for her. Iā€™m partial to the un-chamberd Glock if I can be as safe and knowledgable as Lenny Magill is with it. Iā€™ll feel better as I think their triggers are on the softer side.

Saw a young family member build their overall confidence when they for first time handled a firearm safely. Safely is key.

2 Likes

It doesnā€™t matter if we shoot 2011 or Glock.
The shooting hand must marry the back strap and beaver tail the same way.
No exceptions.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not a Glock fan ( personal preference, no critique of Glock intended), but I do think that a beginning shooter should have all the chances he can of not shooting himself in the foot. Personally I think new gun owners should start out with a revolver and then look at a semi auto. A safety and training class would also be advisable. When in doubt about what type of gun you would like to own, most ranges have rental guns that you can take on the range and fire. As for glock, Iā€™ll take my Sig or my Hi-Power, K.

4 Likes

Brother Keith129, I agree with you, I started my wife with a revolver 38 caliber and she graduated to a semi-automatic, it took her about 6 months to get accustomed to The Recoil of the 38- 2in. about a year later she loves the Glock 19

4 Likes

I personally think the myth of a DA/SA hammer fired pistol with a heavy trigger pull, being somehow; inherently safer than a Glock or other striker fired brand is just that. A myth.

The largest percentage of police departments in the U.S. choose the Glock as their duty side arm for their officers. Simplicity, reliability and the genius design of itā€™s passive safeties.

Many decades ago, the largest percentage of young cadets going into the police academy were experienced gun people. Seasoned in the use of firearms either by being a war veteran or growing up in a more positive gun culture, where parents sent them to NRA Camp. Ask most young adults who ā€˜Eddie Eagleā€™ is now? They wouldnā€™t have a clue.
Itā€™s these very inexperienced young adults, that make up the largest share of cadets coming into the police academy.

A young police officer, who is also an avid gun enthusiast and frequent shooter is a rare or odd thing. An anomaly. A striker fired Glock, is by far, the easiest and most efficient self loading semi- auto to teach and train pistol accuracy, shooting discipline and the overall manual of arms to get a consistent level of training out of very young and very inexperienced people in a short amount of time.

The firearms training block of many city and state academies across this country are somewhere between 7-10 days. Thatā€™s it. And that includes, Duty Pistol, Shotgun and Patrol Rifle. So one can see, not a lot of time goes into, taking an inexperienced cadet, turning them into a trained officer and then sending them to work in the most dangerous areaā€™s of our city. Yet they are qualified to protect and defend the lives of others.

With a striker fired pistol with no thumb safety.

1. It is more efficient in money, time and skill, to teach only finger discipline on a striker fired pistol, then it is to teach finger and thumb discipline, on a DA/SA with a thumb de-cocker.

2. It is more efficient in money time and skill, to teach trigger control and accuracy with a striker fired trigger versus a DA/SA trigger.

3. The largest percentage of officer involved shootings in self defense, happens in just a few feet to yards and just a few rounds fired between both, the officer and suspect involved. So every round fired is critical in the success and survival of that officer.

Statistical analysis of police involved shootings show, whoever placed their first shot accurately along with follow up shots, wins that gunfight.

1. The striker fired pistol, with itā€™s same, 5 pound trigger pull, from itā€™s first, desperate life saving shot to its last life saving shot, gives the advantage for an officer who isnā€™t a lifetime trained shooter or gun enthusiast.

2. In my personal experience and opinion, it is indeed the opposite. The DA/SA hammer fired heavy first double action trigger? Where someone who is new or not an experienced shooter? That heavy double action long trigger pull, especially for smaller males or female officers with small hands and weaker fingers? They have a better chance of yanking that first life saving shot off and away from a vital hit because the trigger is so long and heavy, they donā€™t keep their sights on or yank them off target as it pulls to the rear.

An experienced, pistolero? With large hands and is a shooter? They can find the beauty in this type of pistol action.
But I would suggest to a new gun owner the exact same as thousands of young new pistol users in our police academyā€™s.

Glock.

6 Likes

I was at a training venue several years ago. Sat across the table from a school resource officer and asked him his thoughts on arming teachers at schools and how to respond to someone that this only cops should be armed at schools. His response was that most cops arenā€™t gun people.

This is consistent with your post.

Iā€™m not really arguing for or against the Glock. But your post was interesting, articulate, and insightful.

2 Likes

I think a new shooter should start with a handgun they are willing to commit to learn to shoot safely.
Over the years, US military recruits from the cities learned on whatever was in the inventory, everything from single action percussion revolvers to M9s and they all served adequately. Learning handle them safely is the important part of the equation.

5 Likes

Yep 1911 has always been my comfort zone. It was my first issue PDW in early days of service.Still carry one today along with others. :us:

2 Likes

At first I did not like Glocks, plastic, ugh. Metal, Walnut and other traditional materials swayed me to the likes of Cz 75, the hi-power and 1911ā€™s. Trigger pull was secondary, the ā€œmetalā€ triggers IMHO were far superior to Glock as well. The Springfield XD quickly changed my opinion of Polymer pistols, and Glock improved as well. Overall I am very happy for the variety of guns available, they all have their merits, and are the topic of lively debate. I get the 1st time buyer Glock controversy, but the way I see it is the gun that is best for a beginner is the one that feels right in their hand and that they feel they can be ā€œsafeā€ with.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve got to admit, although Iā€™ve only tried a few different models, the 19 was very accurate for me. I believe thereā€™s no such thing as ā€œone size fits allā€, but I found the 19 one of my top 5 favorites in the range.

6 Likes

I fully agree, also I love that 17

4 Likes