How Many Rounds do you NEED

There is the last four classes and my ritual training at the range over the last four years with my reloads.
I guess I am that guy! :pleading_face: :worried:

4 Likes

How does she like her 43x?

1 Like

As one of those who vary by when and where I go, small, med, larger; Ditto here when I don on ā€œ9ā€, same model. Like the flat slide field of view and thinner profile. I donā€™t mind the two spare mags, not heavy; Peace of mind for long travels.

2 Likes

She loves the gun for its simplicity and reliability. Not as nice a gun as her classic original Kimber UltraCarry but itā€™s the right gun for the times.

BTW itā€™s also the gun I took with me when I did my first DSF certification a few years back. Every other instructor was running full size service pistols and here I was with my little compact, got a few sideways looks :sunglasses:

The 43X, literally out of the box, zero break-in, new mags and it ran through about 500 rounds in 3 days with zero issues. Itā€™s the gun that made me fall in love with the new slim Glocks. Later on I moved to the 48 and gave the 43X to my wife.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s why I like NH. Iā€™ve had a permit since 1978 and never once have they asked for make, model or serial number of the firearm I intended to carry. I guess this state has enough Common Sense to realize that, if you have passed the NCIC background check and it has been determined that you are a person of good enough character to be trusted to carry a firearm of one type and caliber, you can also be trusted to carry one of a different type and caliber.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s how I feel. When I first started carrying a couple years ago I didnā€™t see the reason for more than the loaded pistol. Now I have a spare 19-round mag and a fighting knife. There is consideration to carry a 3rd mag.

3 Likes

What changed?

Itā€™s always a balance between what you are willing to (and able to) conceal and carry, and what you feel like you will need. Personally, I often carry a single stack subcompact 9mm, so I like to carry a spare mag too. However, there are other EDC items that I also want to carry (pocket knife, pepper spray, flashlight), so there is a tradeoff there. If you do carry a reload, itā€™s important to practice reloading, and as part of timed drills. I found this out during a recent defensive pistol course I took. Reloading a small pistol while under stress / timed is a lot harder than reloading a full size pistol.

5 Likes

what is this? serious question

I too am interested in how this is defined.

If I had to take a stab at it, Iā€™d say a probably relatively short fixed blade carried readily accessible and concealed. Probably reachable with off hand (or both hands) and he may also carry a maybe-not-concealed regular old folding pocket knife as a tool.

Just guessing on context but outside my area

RE Fighting Knife: As I see it a knife where its main purpose is self defence. Versus a bucknife or something that has multipurposes.

Basically what I have is designed to be gripped in a fist and you throw jabs. You dont need to be a knife fighter, just be able to throw a basic jab and not even a hard jab. I carry it weakside appendix just like my pistol for quick access.

1 Like

A push dagger?

1 Like

The answer is you need as many rounds as it takes. Now under what scenario are you going to live your life under that dictates what you most likely will need. Are you in a parking lot coming out of the store and one or two thugs try to hold you up? Or were you in Starbucks getting your latte and when you came out civil war had broken out?

4 Likes

Guessing no right or wrong answer. Value in ā€œdonā€™t leave home without itā€. Lately been thinking that what also plays into it is partly psychology and feelings. What amount helps me feel prepared. Perhaps hard to describe, but kind of like a sense of security.

Now Iā€™m ready for the trip, no matter how short or far.

2 Likes

I think youā€™re exactly correct. I think a huge part of this is how we grew up, where we grew up, our own particular Life experiences, and general personality and mindset. I know for myself I have 12 on board and a spare mag of 15. I donā€™t feel unsafe or insecure in any way. Of course at my age and health Iā€™m not hanging out in the middle of Mardi gras! I have no reason to visit sketchy areas and if I did I could modify my EDC for that one situation.

1 Like

Same concept, not quite a dagger.

1 Like

Gratitude. Yes, modifying to the day or week, indeed. Donā€™t regret my younger days of fun with football, basketball, and running like Forest Gump. But today, my ankle and knee will never be the same.

Enjoy your Spring. Today, saw my first bumble-bee of the year, was awesome.

1 Like

ā€œFighting knifeā€ which I prefer to call a SD knife, is on the right (one of several of its kind I like and carry).

It is set up to carry on a clip, accessible swiftly, opens in a blur and it is RAZOR SHARP. Itā€™s ONLY PURPOSE is to give me a weapon of alternative to my handgun and gets used for NO tasks other than what itā€™s designated to do. Inflict fast and serious damage to an attacker.

My regular pocket knife is on the left. Itā€™s the one thatā€™s called upon to cut a piece of jerky, or a steak or an apple or open a box or whatever menial task in my day demands a clean sharp blade.

I never leave home without one of each and the uses are not interchangeable. These are the ones I have on me right now.

5 Likes

Carried on my left side, one finger opening, razor sharp. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yeah SD knife would be a better name. I just think about how it would get deployed should I need it. I carry mine the samenway you do, weak side.

1 Like