How Many Rounds do you NEED

As many as you’re going to need.

2 Likes

So, you have enough rounds with you to outshoot the Hollywood types who don’t find the need to reload :wink:

But, thought I’d share what happened to me couple days ago. The usual inspection in the morning… keys :white_check_mark: EDC :white_check_mark: wallet :white_check_mark: mag pouch :white_check_mark:
Then, it hit me, why not check my mags if they’re ok.
Found one like this, which in a self-defense incident could’ve cost me precious seconds, or could’ve proved fatal.

4 Likes

What does this recommend to an average Joe? Armed drone in back pack when going to an ATM after dark? Javelin is kinda conspicuous.

1 Like

3 mags total. one in your gun and two spares.

3 Likes

The x amount of rounds fired per kill in military combat has increased exponentially in relation to each conflict that the United States of America has been involved in since the Civil War. Studies on Combat have shown that 10% of a unit involved in combat are actually using aimed fire for effect and the other 90% are basically spraying and praying.

3 Likes

There was a time in my life, and while it was not that long ago it seems like a lifetime, when I would happily leave the house with a 1911 filled with 8+1 rounds and I considered myself adequately protected from any expected harm.

Unfortunately the incidence of pack type attacks and multiple assailant home invasions and such has increased exponentially in the last few years. Don’t know if you guys saw the latest destruction of a restaurant in NYC but in my mind that pack of dirtbags could have easily and violently turned on anyone in the place. This now happens all the time around the country.

So today I carry a Glock 48 MOS (15+1) and a backup 15 round reload and I’m strongly considering adding a third mag to the EDC loadout for a total of 46 rounds.

As on character in the excellent Western Unforgiven puts it, “Wouldn’t want to die for lack of shootin’.”.

4 Likes

I’m always jealous of you full size guys. For comfort and stealth I’ve chosen to go with compacts, 6+1 or 7+1 if I’m brave. Might be time to start looking at the big stuff.

2 Likes

That would almost double your 1911 round count!
Before the end of the year, I would need to decide if I wanted to switch to a 1911, get rid of my plastic fantastics🤔
OR buy my first Glock, a G19 and get rid of my 1911s :thinking:
just in time for my renewal.
:thinking:

1 Like

My 12+1 pieces that I now carry are in many cases smaller and lighter than 7+1 options I used to have to settle for.

Though if the current urban disintegration ever makes its way out here I’d likely upsize a little to 15+1 with two spares instead of one.

2 Likes

My wife is 5’2" and she’s switched from her old Kimber UltraCarry .45 to a Glock 43X (15+1) and a reload (15) using Shield Arms magazines. Trust me this is a very compact setup that’s easily carried concealed.

4 Likes

Ah California. Can’t understand the logic of only being able to carry the couple of specific firearms you’re allowed to put on your license. I could maybe see having to qualify with a pistol and a revolver to show you are capable of handling either. But it makes no sense that if your firearm breaks you can’t carry a similar one with the exact same controls.

3 Likes

My current modified SIG P365 is a 12+1 option and it’s smaller than the old Walther PPS that I used to carry when I needed maximum concealment years ago.

Here’s a pic of the SIG P365 and Glock 48 on my nightstand. I know it’s tough to visualize with just a picture but quite frankly these two guns are SMALL! I just went to get my mail and the P365 was nicely tucked in my back jeans pocket, no holster.

4 Likes

I have the original P365 with the shorter grip. Though I usually carry it with the extended grip 12 round mags. So I know what a nice small package it is. I’m a fairly average sized guy but front pocket carry it on occasion in an Alabama kydex holster. If you’re paying attention you can see something is there but I suspect most folks won’t know it’s a pistol. My super tiny 12+1 LCP Max is easier to pocket conceal at least in my pockets.

4 Likes

I kept the original SIG short grip frame in case I didn’t like the WC replacement but so far I really haven’t missed it. And you’re right, the gun might print but no one is looking that closely at my pants…. I would hope :rofl:

For pocket carry I use a simple Kydex trigger shield. About $10 on eBay and they work!!!

4 Likes

I do recommend always carrying in a holster. Protecting the trigger is important, both for things that might pull it while pocketed, and to be sure that if you are fighting for your life from an awkward position when you have to reach into your pocket, you don’t pull the trigger and shoot yourself. We talk about crazy stuff like drawing your gun with your weak hand only and shooting upside down on the moon but none of that happens when the gun moves around, falls out, shoots you in the butt, etc, because it’s loose in a pocket

JMO

3 Likes

I like those. I use one attached to my quick access safe for my home defense pistol. That way I can’t accidentally pull the trigger when grabbing for the firearm while pulling it out of the safe while I’m waking up from a bump in the night.

5 Likes

Going to a class for training
they said bring 400 plus rounds so, 400 plus rounds.

4 Likes

Always bring more ammo and more mags than it says, and always have a spare gun that you can go straight into without skipping a beat if something goes wrong with your initial.

And don’t bring reloads

3 Likes

Uh Oh! I have 3.000 rounds of reloads just for classes.

3 Likes

Some classes I have gone to ban reloads, others have had a “that guy” who swears up and down his reloads are always so reliable while the instructor is taking time away from training to help clear the gun that’s stuck in battery and can’t be cleared after the reloads jammed it up (multiple instances just in classes I have attended myself and it’s a common refrain I hear in the wider community)

That’s the reason I say that

2 Likes