How Many Rounds do you NEED

I carry one mag in my EDC plus 2 mags, then in my vehicles safe I carry an AR with one mag and an extra as my “get home” plan.

5 Likes

Do you know of any lawful carriers who were killed and left with an empty gun?

If so, please let me know, I’m constantly looking for information like that.

4 Likes

You are absolutely right. All the USCCA training I have taken emphasize getting to cover and, if possible, leave the area. Firing in this situation is fraught with all sorts of issues particular with knowing where each one of your rounds will end up.
For the record, P365XL with 12+1, manual safety. Another quuestion that should be asked is how many carry with a round in the chamber. To do that with some comfort, I went with the manual safety.

5 Likes

Many of us do carry with one chambered. There have been at least several long, well-debated threads on that and on the external safety preference. As you stated, if you are not comfortable carrying with a chambered round, and/or not comfortable without an external safety, those are the choices one makes.

3 Likes

Unfortunately my choice of concealed carry firearm is dictated by the way I dress. If it is summer and I am wearing shorts and a t-shirt a 6 rd PMG Kahr with a 7 Rd spare mag, winter with a jacket anything from a S&W M&P Compact (13) to a FiveSeven… Spare Mags Occasionally. Hate to say it, could one always use more ammo, absolutely, but what one is truly able to carry all day can change with the situation, as well as where you carry your mags. If I was worried about spontaneous riots or looting and was going to be traveling in an effected area (which probably would be accidental) I would prepare with more.

2 Likes

No I don’t. My thought is if there was a failure to feed due to a magazine issue. If someone dies in a shooting, do they function test firearm if mag still has rounds in it? I don’t know. I carry an extra mag because Why Not.

3 Likes

For me, the why not usually boils down to opportunity cost of carrying something else more likely to be lifesaving instead. If that is not a limitation, you are indeed left with “why not”, so, go for it

4 Likes

I carry with a round in the chamber, plus my EDC is a Glock 41 or 30. I feel perfectly comfortable doing so. Been doing so for many manies of years.

3 Likes

I am a wheel gun carrier. I have not had to shoot any one but I dont think they will be interested in asking what am using when it goes bang. I carry a snubby 357 or my 856 Defender. I so carry speed strips. The the closest I have come to shooting at some one is one night some one tried to break into one of my cars. I gave him commands to leave and he was nice enough to do that so he would not have to take iron in his diet. Stay safe. My philosophy, having a gun is better than none at all.

5 Likes

I may get some flak for this, but “Merica”:

This is interesting how the topic evolved from “what to do” into “how many rounds of ammo do I need?” or “how many rounds do you carry?”.

IMHO and experience, there is no “magic” number. After having read the article, which states: “An officer arrived at the house to see a car parked in front and people standing around it and, as the affidavit states, the people standing around the car suddenly began running in all directions.”.

Unless you were one of those individuals who were standing around the car and an “intended target” (I don’t believe anyone was based on the limited information), the number of rounds needed IMO is still irrelevant.

Therefore, I propose this question: “Am I prepared and have I planned for a scenario like this?” or “Can we prepare and plan for a scenario like this?”

I like to believe that most of the good people on this community forum are far more intelligent than the people at that party.

4 Likes

I believe that the number of rounds NEEDED is as many as possible + 1. But practicality dictates that you can’t carry an ammo can around with you.
A full mag + 1 is minimum, so pick the firearm that satisfies your desires.
If a little paranoid, carry one or two extra mags, but train well so reloading comes second nature.
My EDC is a 12 + 1 in 9mm, I’d say that number is minimum. Discretion and comfort dictate how much ammo you need above the minimum - unless you like wearing body weights - that should weigh on your mind and make you aware of the threat level.
If you go looking for trouble, then ammo requirements depend on what trouble you get into… not a good situation in any case.

1 Like

Sparked some interesting posts. Whatever one’s comfortable with. Some carry two firearms. I don’t yet, but absolutely respect another’s decision to do so, especially if they carry pistol, might risk malfunction.

Odds are less chance of needing a lot, but I feel better with 3 sets, 1 set in the firearm, 2 full spare reloads and I rest easy and warm, depending on the carry day, 24-31 rounds, yet still very discreet.

Oh yes, avoid, take cover, evade, defend, call 911, “use” if you or your loved ones life’s on the line?

Random act of kindness tomorrow.

1 Like

While that is true, it will still pretty effectively mess up your medical record. :laughing:

2 Likes

Thank you. I had all kinds of training, Uncle Sam and others. With Uncle Sam you most CCW always go in heavy come out light. As a civilian non LEO, go in light, and always find a safe way out unless you have to fight.

1 Like

One observation is that the number of potential psychotics you might have to face are no more than the rounds in a 1911 magazine.

3 Likes

Another observation might be that handguns are weak and ineffective as a general rule, evidenced by the based in reality joke that goes “What does a person usually do after being shot with a handgun? Whatever they were doing before they were shot with a handgun”

1 Like

Probably go to the hospital, if one of the 75% - 80% that survive being shot.

3 Likes

Stephan Camp, IIRC, once said that you’ll run out of time before you run out of ammo.
Surveying the circumstances surrounding the homicides committed in my little town, I have to agree with him.

3 Likes

Maybe we should search community threads about caliber type — see this video – makes you :thinking:

1 Like

Example of why only 5 rounds in a small revolver might be cutting it close on rounds?

Or example of only 5 rounds in a revolver getting the job done?

(I don’t like only having 5 myself though I know people who carry exactly that and seem to be doing okay)

1 Like