How many rounds do you carry?

Rah Marine!

3 Likes

I carry an extra magazine of ammunition, so 30 rounds total. I do not know if that can be used against me in court, but I can explain why I carry 1+ spare magazines. I carry them in case of a malfunction with my magazine.

6 Likes

You know me, GUNG HO! Always be prepared for the inevitable

2 Likes

Exactly, I have 2 spare mags. They are 8 rounds, so I have 8+1 in the pistol already. But, you never know, one mag could decide to be a pain in my ass. Okay, so then I still have 17 rounds IF needed.

7 Likes

I think if you carry “a lot” of rounds, the worst a prosecutor can say would be you were looking for a fight. But thats why you get a competent lawyer who can throw that argument in the trash.

I think the saying goes “unless you’re drowning or on fire, you can never have too much ammo”.

I’ve known folks that carry 50+ rounds on them (or claim to anyway) on the daily. I say more power to them. For me… I carry what I know I can reasonably and comfortably carry all day long. Depending on which firearm I’m carrying it will be anywhere from 11 to 28 rnds total.

5 Likes

My EDC is a Sig P365XL and I carry 12 round mag plus 1 and an additional 12 round mag. I also have the 15 round mags but they don’t eject as well as the 12; so, I’d rather be safe than sorry.

3 Likes

Back in the day in uniform, I had 15+1 in my sidearm and (2) 15 round spare mags plus 10 more in my backup firearm.

6 Likes

Ahhh the Beretta M9, the pistol that has been cannibalized for a long time. But hey, if it wasn’t good The Corps would have never given it to me … cough, cough… bull$*… cough, cough

1 Like

Secondary:
NAA mini Revolver .22wmr 5rds
Snub nose .38spl 5rds.

Primary:
G2C 12+1 plus 2 mags of 12rds each
P95PR 15+1 plus 2 mags total 25rds
G34 17+1 plus 2 mags 17rds each (if running full load, an additional two 33rd mags for a grand total of 118rds)
TP9SFX 20+1 plus 1 20rd mag (8 days till I pickup extra mags, three 20rd mags and two 32rd mags but will only likely carry at most 4 extra mags like I carry full load on the G34).

TP9SFX is equipped with 800lm light with strobe, plan to add a red dot to it as well.

5 Likes

As few as 4 (Derringer & a speed strip) to 30 (Beretta 92F w/ spare mag). Normally 8 (1911 Officers Model 7 in the mag one in the pipe)

Cheers,

Craig6

6 Likes

I carry a Glock 19 with a 15 round mag in the pistol +1 in the chamber and two 17 round mags on my belt.

4 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, Glock makes great firearms. I’m just not to the point where I like them enough to carry one again. I carried one for about 2 months, didn’t like it to much. So I went back to my roots and carry my 1911 EVERYDAY.

4 Likes

While I rely on Glock, I believe the 1911 is a fine firearm. It was painful when the Marine Corps was forced to transition to the perpetually broken Beretta. I have carried the M-9 on several deployments and believe it makes a better paperweight than it does a pistol. You can depend on the 1911.

6 Likes

My grandfather carried the 1911 through multiple tours of Korea and Nam. He always said it was the Marines best secondary line of defence .

4 Likes

5 to 45 depending if it’s just a snub revolver or a full size in 9mm; it’s usually rounds in the weapon and two magazines or speed loaders in a belt holster or counter weighing a shoulder group. I used to think I needed the extras when my weapons were single stacks; things got ‘crazy’ when I finally moved to double stacked.

4 Likes

I usually carry one or two extra mags. I don’t see how extra ammo could possibly be used against you in court.

5 Likes

Not wanting to be confrontational here, but Just wondering, what scenario do you foresee where you could in any way justify firing 30+rounds of ammo? (I am coming from the perspective that we are not deliberately doing things to increase our Risk by going into known dangerous areas we could easily avoid, etc.) Statistically most confrontations end with a handful of rounds fired. In any defensive scenario after the event you are going to have to account for rounds expended. If two or three “thugs” attack that’s still 10 + rounds/each. How could one begin to justify that amount firepower being brought to bear? Isn’t our mission to neutralize the threat/ protect self and family? I fully understand and agree with the philosophy of continuing to fire until the threat is neutralized/ withdraws ( or I’m able to) but I have trouble seeing where that rate of fire would be required. If we are sending that much heat downrange in a hurry aren’t we setting up a scenario with a huge potential for collateral damage? (ie hitting bystanders). (And yes, I know nobody ever complained about having too much ammo when the fecal matter hits the oscillator). I live in a “safe” area as much as anyone can I suppose. My “worst case” scenario would be a mass shooter event, and in that situation if I’ve not either stopped him or gotten myself out of the line of fire before I’ve sent a magazine downrange I’m probably toast anyway ‘cause you know he will be shooting back. To me, accuracy and shot placement are the key, not huge numbers of rounds fired. I worry some folks may get the idea that many rounds fired makes up for a lack of accuracy (heck,the military itself fell into that trap years ago which is why the troops carry poodle shooters rather than battle rifles-BUT the military uses massed fire to pin down the enemy so artillery and air strikes can be deployed). WE on the other hand are in a defensive, not offensive, mode. The whole “spray and pray” concept is simply not the correct response in a defensive shooting. We are all still, at this point at least, able to make our own choices on such things and do what we feel is appropriate, and obviously some here hold a radically different view than I do, and that’s certainly ok. Please though, take a few minutes and Think about the choices you make, as in the final analysis YOU and you alone are responsible for consequences of these choices. Don’t get me wrong, if I was going to war I’d be carrying all the ammo I could and the heavier caliber the better- but I’m not planning on going to war, YMMV.

9 Likes

@Dwayne --here’s a great article to your point.
The only reason I see if to fix a malfunction. You’re kind of out of luck if you don’t have one with you.
Now that said, I only have an extra mag with me about 1/2 the time at most.
While I have a lot of really important ‘stuff’ in my truck, I don’t see the need for a ton of gear on a regular basis (going around town).
Traveling–different story. Feeding the homeless today? Different story–had a lot of gear with me.
But to run to Kroger for a gallon of milk? I’ll go with minimalist for that.

7 Likes

Great article! That’s the main reason I carry an extra mag for my shield when it’s comfortable. If I use my belly band, I usually just go on without the spare. If I’m wearing a belt I’ll clip one on. That leaves me with 15 rounds if I’m carrying .45.

I said this earlier, the high round count doesn’t bother me much for the simple fact, if your carrying a glock 17 (great, realiable, comfortable gun to shoot/carry) I would fill up my mag. It would be silly not to have a full mag in the gun, and then, for the sake of malfunctions, a spare mag that’s full as well. That’s a good bit of ammo, BUT I wouldn’t carry that amount of ammo because I was ready to be an action hero.

I also don’t want laws regulating ammo capacity.

3 Likes

My other practical argument is I buy good quality carry ammo. I would not be able to afford the ammo I trust the most, and that has been proven to be effective if I had to buy cycle all of those rounds. I know people say, it’s money for your life… but I have limitations. A shield (which has similar capacity to a 1911) is a reasonable amount of ammo imho.

I’m not former law enforcement, I am blessed to not live in an area where gang violence is huge, I am more concerned about getting mugged at gun point in a parking lot, or a crazy dude trying to shoot up my church or movie theatre.

There are more layers to safety than the gun. That should be the last resort. If I’m in my car, I’m not wasting time shooting if I can floor it and leave, I keep my head on a swivel, there are places I don’t go. That being said, I have that luxury. I remember someone saying when they go to south Chicago they carry extra ammo. That may be a good idea. I’m not from there.

2 Likes