How many rounds do you carry?

I gave a friend that lives in Cary that has just applied for his FOID card has not given me the reason for it yet. I plan to take him to the range teach him safety and let him try different size of guns and calibers, Since he can not have a gun in the house due to his wife has a day care in the basement (even in a safe) he will have to leave his ammo and gun in his vehicle when the kids come over. Also his wife is not too thrilled about guns.

2 Likes

If he ever, God forbid, has to use it, she might just have a change of mind.

2 Likes

I may be occasionally toting 34 + 1 rounds around here soon.

3 Likes

Just starting out, experimenting. My region’s laws places a cap on mag capacity. That led me to determine my number of rounds, which seems the “goldilocks” amount I like.

If I go revolver, I’ll carry 18; if I go semi, I’m at 30.

My numbers are dictated by the gun’s capacity, plus two spare speed-loaders or mags respectively. Not going more makes it easier for me to carry. Shoulder holster or speed-loader/cases on my belt are comfortable.

3 Likes

I typically carry one in the pipe and two spare magazines, so the precise number varies with what I am carrying. For example, if I’m carrying my Glock 19X 9mm, I carry a total of 56 rounds. If I’m carrying my Sig 229 .40 DAK, I carry a total of 37 rounds etc. So, the millage varies with the platform. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Out of curiosity, what’s the capacity limit? Carry size guns, like the Glock 19 hold 15+1 of 9 mm. A M&P 45c is 8+1, and almost exactly the same size. It will accept 10 round mags. If you are capacity limited, might as well carry flying ashtrays.

3 Likes

Watch out, he’s tryin to convert you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy:.

6 Likes

Always. Let’s all shoot the Lord’s caliber.

6 Likes

Sure. Where I live, our legal limit is 10 rounds inside the weapon. I like .38 Special, but ordered a 9MM to try as an EDC, waiting for its arrival. For EDC, I decided not to carry higher caliber, at least for now. I’m also thinking of trying out .22LR as an EDC, kind of experimenting. Accuracy been on my mind of late. For my woods gun, I ordered .357, to start out with, not yet arrived. Peace to you my friend. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I get it. From one of your other posts, I get a feeling I know the general area your from. Nothing wrong with the calibers you listed. And, glad to see another Land of Lincoln member.

5 Likes

Glad to be your neighbor.

2 Likes

Upgraded to 40.

1 Like

And this is another good reason I left Illinois in 2017, you’d think being the land of Lincoln the state would be following the constitution.

2 Likes

Illinois is the Land of Lincoln.
Chicago is the land of Al Capone.

5 Likes

Actually Illinois is not so bad with gun law.
And this is still Land of Lincoln… no matter what.
At least for me… :slightly_smiling_face:

One city is not able to minimize the value of whole State.

4 Likes

Outside of the FOID laws, it’s not as restricted as other places. And some of the hunting regulations.(come on straight wall cartridge rifle hunting)

@Ouade5 , I’d take Capone and his men over the current administration.

4 Likes

:wink: :smile:

Now we need The Untouchables to put the City on the proper tracks.

2 Likes

My girlfriends ah hah moment was when a guy just walks into the house with a knife and says, Do you have any money? She popped up out of her seat and began to give him it one side up another telling him to get the F- out of the house. She got on the phone to 9-1-1 and when the cops showed up he had two ladies down two houses held up. He attempted to escape by trying to carjack a car when the police shot and killed him.
Well, she carries now and trains too. She also is very supportive of all the guns I have and all the reloading I do.

3 Likes

My pistol has 15-round capacity and most days I leave it at that. I have a double-stack mag carrier on order and plan to carry a second mag as soon as it gets here.

I truly hope to never need 1-round but I’d rather have the rounds and not need them to need them and not have them. One event that pushed me to get my CCW and carry was when the four men with a 2x4 in MN attacked a couple repairing their business after the riots. They beat the woman first and made the man watch, then beat him. No f’ing way. So that’s easily 8 to 12 rounds assuming that all of my shots hit center mass and I don’t miss or hit a spot that’s more superficial. The thought of somebody beating my wife and / or kids, especially in front of me, is my nightmare scenario and I’d rather be overprepared to deal with such a situation than underprepared.

1 Like

She’s a keeper!:sunglasses:

3 Likes