How many of your firearms are always loaded?

Not necessarily. Springs can sit compressed for years, but squashing them to their limits does accelerate wear. I load everything 1 down…pushing a clear ets mag to it’s limits allows me to see the spring, and at it’s limit, I don’t like what I see. Lifetime dealing with metal, I feel their pain :grinning:. Got about 100 mags loaded, all 1 down… John Lovell, WPS, also mentions loading 1 down for smoother feeding of a fresh mag…
Sounds like an mfr who puts more value into honesty than in marketing to me.

2 Likes

The thing is that if manufacturers know their springs limits, they should use one hop up then.
I know everything is about the money, but if I buy 13 rounds mag, I want to use 13 rounds, not 12, because manufacturer says this… It is just not fair.

That’s the reason I use, what I use and I don’t need to think about lower round’s amount or spring’s short time limitations.

4 Likes

I wrote about this somewhere else here. I loaded up a couple of Glock mags and a couple of cheap KCI mags and left them loaded for over 10 years. Slapped them in the gun a couple years ago and they worked flawlessly. Have been using them since as range mags and they continue to function without issue. A well designed mag with a quality spring will work fine loaded to max. It is the number of cycles that eventually wear them out. I do download my rifle mags by 2 rounds because they are harder to insert on a closed bolt and 18 or 28 rifle rounds can solve a lot of problems. But my pistol mags are all maxed out. Every round counts with weak pistol rounds.

9 Likes

In which case, @Timothy110 has a shotgun made by a cautious manufacturer, who advises to do what I do. No argument with your experience, my neighbor does the same, it’s just my lifetime dealing with metal and machines has left me somewhat emotional with all things mechanical it seems :kissing_smiling_eyes:
Betting the same manufacturer supplies a bunch of gun companies springs…and yeah, if it’s worn, there’s Wulff.

2 Likes

I’m using the trust but verify model:) I’m always on the lookout for possible failures. Will likely replace my home defense gun’s staged mag springs soon even though they are functioning fine. Don’t want to discover a problem at the wrong moment!

3 Likes

ALL of them, ALWAYS.

4 Likes

My EDC and my wife’s are always ready to go so 2. However, I do have magazines at the ready for other weapons in case an outcome needs to be influenced at greater distances than a pistol can effect.

4 Likes

Jerzy, if I get to your house want me to leave a note of thanks for the gift?

I guess it could say THANKS for the claymore, couldn’t find the blasting caps, detcord, or clacker. Just the unarmed claymore.

:woozy_face:

2 Likes

It’s a decoy. You’d better watch your 6 when you look at that Claymore. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
If you read what was written there… you already wasted 3 seconds. Where will be no more time for you to pick this guy from the ground… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

:cowboy_hat_face: always watching it and all other approaches. That’s what bothered me about no means to set it off - I knew I had not overlooked anything. :+1:

2 Likes

OK, no harm no foul but I think you’re looking for solutions for nonexistent problems!

2 Likes

Yes likely won’t be a problem for awhile but my home defense gun’s mags are about 15 years old and have been emptied and reloaded countless times. Would rather change them out a few years too soon then one event too late.

I actually just ended up swapping them out recently with some new higher capacity mags. So the old ones will join the practice rotation when/if the practice mags start giving me issues.

1 Like

Currently, typically…three are “cruiser ready” and three are Condition 1. All are on person or behind a combination or PIN lock

2 Likes

For me it would be easier to count the ones which are NOT.

3 Likes

Every one I own.Everyone my wife owns.Everyone my stepson owns.We believe in being ready at all times.Mayhem hardly ever comes forewarned.

3 Likes

Well that seems unfair. In every Allstate commercial, Mayhem always warns us that he’s about to strike.

3 Likes

All my weapons are loaded now due to what is coming down the pike.the are all spaced all through the house,lol even in the bath room,i just dont want to be surprised at the present time

3 Likes

That depends upon your definition of loaded.
The ones within three seconds reach are in condition 1. That includes the one in the cereal boxes, the freezer and the toilets.
The ones in the office, kitchen and garage are in condition 2. The ones locked in the safe are in condition 3. Forgot to mention the one on my hip, is in condition 1.
FYI there are no children or young adults in my home.

3 Likes

I only have 9 loaded at any one time… typically… Subject to change…

2 Likes

Every last one of them, throughout my entire house.

3 Likes