How many first .responders. need help ❓

FROM RESPONDING TO . Mind BLOWING . SITUATIONS :question::us:

I KNOW SO MANY BROTHERS AND SISTERS. THAT HAVE TOLD ME THAT THEY CAN LOSE THEIR JOBS AND . THEY CAN not afford to say anything about what is happening At home and they are drinking and just hurting in silence for . FEAR OF BEING MISTREATED FOR BEING HUMAN . :us::100:

2 Likes

I’m not a first responder, though I have been first on scene, more than once.

There is a written agreement of confidentiality in the profession that requires them to not speak of their experiences.

These people have a job of helping others on the absolute worst day of their lives, sometimes the last day of it.

Tough job. Takes a special kind of person, and yes they need help.

Help I’m not certified to give.

3 Likes

I am a retired LEO for nine years now. Most officers active and retired suffer from some level PTSD and many departments, mine included, offer no help so officers keep things bottled up inside or find unhealthy outlets to help them cope which is shameful. I had several encounters during my career where I was nearly forced to pull the trigger and I thank God that I didn’t have to follow thru. I witnessed more death than I can recall from a baby dying from SIDS to a traffic crash victim dying in my arms. There were funny moments at times but most calls for service were because something bad happened. I have gone to counseling before and have started it again due to memories and dreams have decided to come back. I urge anyone that has experienced things that the general public can’t even imagine to find someone that they can talk to and process their feelings. Be safe both physically and mentally.

5 Likes

I wasn’t a First Responder, but I did do some time in the Military. I did some really ugly things will i was in! But this was during so called peace time! I struggled with nightmares and flashbacks, for over thirty yrs! Until i came in contact with two people. The first was a Councilor in a Methodist Church, who was a licensed Psychologist. The other is now my Fifth wife. The two of them understood complexity of my situation, and truly wanted to help. I’ve been strait for ten yrs, now! I do believe You can talk about it, without giving incriminating facts, to people you trust!

2 Likes

Ted44 SIR I HAVE NO ARGUMENT WITH YOU AND I AM NOT YOUR PROBLEM I DO W UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU MEAN SIR. I HAVE SEEN SO MANY THINGS THAT I SPEAK FROM BEEN THERE SEEN THAT AND I . AM TELLING YOU THAT WARRIORS JUST AS YOUR SELF ARE HERE TO HELP YOU BUT NONE WILL ARGUE WITH YOU BECAUSE OF YOUR . ANGER IS JUST LOOKING FOR A ARGUMENT SIR. I HAVE SAID GUNNERS HERE AT THE USCCA CAN TALK TO YOU AND HELP YOU IF NEEDED I WILL NEVER ARGUE ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS BECAUSE I HAVE MY OWN WATER TO CARRY SIR . I HAVE NOT SAID ANYTHING TO BE ANGRY .AT ME . DO YOU EVEN THINK THAT . I KNOW I AM BLESSED TO BE ALIVE RIGHT NOW I AM FIGHTING FOR MY VERY LIFE. PLEASE TAKE THIS TO ANOTHER USCCA MEMBER THAT IS NOT AS HURT AS MYSELF I DO NOT HAVE TIME TO ARGUE ABOUT ANYTHING WITH ANYONE. I am not THE ENEMY SIR

1 Like

I know I can never sit down and tell anyone what has happened to me I don’t need a preacher or a counselor I have MY GOD MY WIFE MY MOMA AND I CAN TELL MY PUPPIES WHAT I HAVE BEEN THROU AND I HAVE A DOCTOR MILITARY DOCTOR . RETIRED . AND I NEVER TALK TO HIM ABOUT THINGS THAT I CAN NOT TAKE ABOUT BE THANKFUL YOU CAN TALK ABOUT WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN THROU. I CAN ONLY TELL MY LITTLE DOG CHOPPER6PACK. I HOPE YOU CAN GET BETTER SIR . I am still wounded . Nothing can fix me sir . I HOPE YOU CAN FIND SOME JOY IN THIS WORLD TIME IT FLYING SIR DO NOT WASTE IT ON ME. YOU TAKE CARE LOVE Bobby Jean two feathers :orthodox_cross::feather::feather::owl::us::cherry_blossom::cherry_blossom::cherry_blossom:🫏:100::100::100::bangbang:

1 Like

Two things changed my life after decades of PTSD and CPTSD (Chronic Stress Disorder). Attending a conference by Dr. Kevin Gilmartin on Emotional Survival For Law Enforcement Officers (book available via Amazon) and attending and ultimately becoming a coach in Crisis Intervention Techniques (CIT).
Both helped ME personally and others as I applied it to them as trained.
I wish I had known about the concepts both teach forty years ago!
Worked for me, still apply them to me, since I’m retired from LEO.
A third source that also helped significantly, and was the first thing for me, were the various conference seminars and books by LTC (Ret) Dave Grossman. This was tremendously helpful for ME in unpacking all my military service bad memories, nightmares,…
I wish all administrations made material seminars like this mandatory, or at least strongly encouraged and financially supported - my admin actually did the first two. Truly better late than never. I did the latter at my own expense - albeit that was when I was a rookie LEO and everyone was too macho to talk about, let alone admit, these things exist :pensive:. Or usually, back then, actively suppressed by admin as potential career stoppers!
A person can gain significant insight even if they can only read the books, these can help if applied.
Cheers🍻
P.S. IDK if CIT is available to non LEO, EMS, etc , people though.

3 Likes

Right here with you on that one Rob183. PTSD from all the "fun we had. God bless you.

3 Likes

GeneC. SIR. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE SIR. I AM THANKFUL ALL IS WELL SIR. I HAD JUST ONE THING CHANGE MY ENTIRE OUTLOOK SIR JUST ONE . ROUND . . AN MY NOSE IS STILL RUNNING . But at least I don’t have the pusser in my head. Every single day is a GREAT DAY SIR LOVE TWO FEATHERS :feather: :feather::us:🫏

Pressure in my head. HAS LET OFF SO I CAN STILL BE AROUND. I UNDERSTAND HOW IT FEELS TO BE . injured and to never say anything because no one is to know I have just one little problem I have to go get CT’s and that I can never explain how I got so lucky :four_leaf_clover: I am not even upset remember I am still alive my heart breaks for everyone who has nightmares and . FEEL ALONE I AM SO BLESSED AND proud to say that I am an American :us: and I have people who love me . And some great doctors . Stay strong everyone thank has been there and done that and back again stay the course. Love Bobby Jean .SIR :owl::feather::feather::us::100::bangbang: