How long is this ammo shortage going to last?

BINGO! We Have a Winner! I think you spelled it out perfect.
This always happens before a Preseduntal election, but this year add in all the riots, Sedition and new gun owners and you have an extended delay.

Us “old timers” know this and likely stocked up while ammo was plentiful and cheap. The new gun owners are likely having sticker shock as does anyone trying to buy ammo now. I would usually say wait 6 months after the election and prices will go way down as availability becomes easy, but with all the added complications, new gun owners and riots, it may take a year this time. If you stocked up and are good on inventory wait a year and restock then. At the same time, dot shoot so much that your stash falls below a comfortable level. Maybe switch to shooting some .22LR for the time being.
John

3 Likes

This all makes sense. I placed an order with Sportsman Guide in July. It was back ordered at the time, and the anticipated ship date has delayed again already. Time will tell if it ships before the end of the year. They won’t charge me until it ships, so I’ll just wait.

Sorry. Just regular old 9mm FMJs. A box of 50 was selling for $53, I believe. The 500 count box of 9mm FMJ reloads was something like $998.

It was rather horrifying.

3 Likes

I have been reloading, and small rifle primers are getting scarce as well.
This will last a while if for no other reason than to increase profits to the manufacturers (IMHO).

Ufff…Thx God I can still see 9mm for $0.6 per round…
At first moment I thought it went up so crazy… :scream:

1 Like

I think it’s the unscrupulous retailers making the profit. Some retailers are really jacking up their prices when they do get stock. There are still some retailers that put their markup on ammo stock they’re getting, but still keeping prices reasonable. Unfortunately, they sell out quickly.

Reloading retailers are the same way. Everglades is selling all their primers on gunbroker for huge markups. Grafs and Powder Valley are still selling whatever stock they get in at decent prices.

I will remember which category you fall into!

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

This is an incredibly frustrating time to be a shooter. Somehow .45 ACP is still easily found in my area. I’ve been so tempted to buy a. .45…now may be that time to finally jump in the 1911 game :scream:

2 Likes

Maybe 6 months ago picked up 500 rounds each of 124 grn 9mm and 230 grn .45ACP. Both brass cased, double swaged, copper Bonded, reloadable FMJ , total cost for all including shipping was around $125.00. Made by Speer.

I am finding I really like the IMI Ammunition (Israeli Manufacturing Industries) rounds with the Razor hollow point. Brass cased, reloadable, and relatively available at reasonable prices.
If you have trouble finding what you are after go to ammoseek.com and let the search for you. Just plug in what you are after and sort by price plus shipping. I have had great luck with then over many years.
Ammoseek: https://ammoseek.com/

John

I would encourage you to go to the site Ammoseek.com . Great spyder checks current pricing on shipping on any caliber you are interested in. Free to use, lets you really narrow down tho specifuc rounds. Best resource I have found. I have bought through their vendors many times in the past and never been dissapointe.
g\Good luck!
john

1 Like

I have to tell you–as a capitalist, I can’t blame them, and I don’t think it’s unscrupulous. Nobody is making you buy the stuff, it’s not life or death (yet), so I say let the law of supply and demand dictate what the prices will be.

1 Like

You’re right unscrupulous may be too harsh a term, but still won’t be using them in the future.

2 Likes

I went to our local shoot point Blank gun range and they had a whole bunch of 9 mm ammo at 16.99 for 50 and a limit of five boxes. Another local place had it for 21.99 And a limit of two boxes, but if you were going to shoot at the range and then it would be 17.99 and a limit of two boxes

1 Like

I spent like 15 minutes in my local shop today when I saw 12 boxes of 9mm on the shelf. I was texting all my friends seeing if anyone needed any. I don’t have anything in that caliber, or I probably have gotten it all for me.

I was talking to the owner, and he said that he doesn’t like ordering Wolf, or Tul ammo, but that is all he can get from his distributor right now.

I’ve switched to shooting. 22LR a lot more right now, as it’s a lot easier to get, & stock up right now.

I’m almost comfortable with my stock of .40 S&W that I can sign up for a defensive shooting class.

1 Like

Ammoseek.com doesn’t work for me at this moment. Usually search results are not valid longer than 10-15 minutes, and I’m not so crazy to sit at my PC and watch the screen… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

If I need ammo, I just go to GunBroker website and buy what I need.
9mm is not my interest anymore. Still got few thousand rounds bought before pandemic and I keep them for classes.
Range is satisfied with .22LR now. And ammo costs me comparatively nothing… :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Welcome to the community. From Michigan :smiley:

1 Like

Welcome the community, From Michigan… :grinning:

1 Like

For probably the last month-ish, people who have come out for training and/or to get certified for their LTC, have been using .22lr to qual.

This past weekend I did a ladies self defense class and the ladies mostly brought .38 or .357 revolvers. They all took me up on my offer to borrow .22lr revolver and the Browning 1911/22. They said they had paid about $75 per box of 50 .38 to bring to class!

1 Like

It will be similar to the shortages that happened during the last 3 presidential elections. Those that pay attention stocked up 10 months ago. Give it 6 months or so unless Sleepy Joe wins.

4 Likes

I’m glad to hear that people are using .22lr for training & qualifications.

$75 for a box of 50?!! Now THAT’s highway robbery. Federal is selling ammo directly to the public. Even with shipping charges, you can get a box of 50 from them for less than $40.

4 Likes