How long is range trip prep?

That’s another wrinkle.

With guns unloaded, I go over range rules so we don’t become subjects of a thread on range idiots.

4 Likes

Everything is basically preloaded, mags, and all, just grab the gun, the mags, and an extra box of ammo.

Toss it in the bag I’m going to use and go…

Clean and put back when home…

3 Likes

It depends on what I am going to shoot. I always prepare my Stuff the night before. The most I take is about an hour or sometimes less about 45 minutes. I prepare my range bag with firearms, ammo, eye and ear protection, cleaning solvent and oil, shooting gloves, rags and cleaning patches. I field strip my pistols on the bench and give them a quick wipe down oiling and cleaning at the range while I am still there.

2 Likes

Like many here, the basics stay in my range bag… eyes, ears, clothespins, multi-tool. It takes me 10 to 15 minutes (depends on how much I take to decide what I’m bringing). Just a couple of minutes to grab what ammo I need, and a few targets.

Afterwards depends on what I brought to the range. If it’s the .22 snubbie, or my 1911, it’s going to take me 45 minutes minimum. The rest of my guns only take ~ 5 minutes each for a quick bore clean & wipedown.

2 Likes

If someone is coming with me, I just accept that I, personally, will ‘get done’ about 10% of what I would by myself, while taking 50% longer.

It’s not terribly different than going to the weigh room with a friend in high school vs showing up to do your programmed training day. At least in my experience.

4 Likes

There’s truth to the saying that every person you add doubles the time it takes.

4 Likes

I have a range bag with are stuff for the range so all I have to do is get the ammo for our pistols. I decide what pistol I want to shoot and take it with us. I have three pistols that fit my every day carry holster and have holsters for the other pistols I shoot.I have trained so I can carry what ever pistol I want to shoot but I shoot my every day carry.

3 Likes

Usually, I pack what I need the night before. Eyes, ears, ammo, firearms (have 5, take 2). Used to take 45-50 minutes (local and highway) to our local range. Since our new range moved into town (2 miles away from home) -it’s been great. Five-ten minutes tops, with heavy traffic :slightly_smiling_face: .

Now there are times my wife and I would go twice, maybe three times. a week. Frequency does make a difference. :man_detective:

2 Likes

We have a range about 4 miles away but the owner has the targets to low to the ground. We like to shoot at the proper height so we go to the inside range to shoot.

1 Like

Usually around 30-45 minutes pretrip.I first decide what will be my focus that day. Example of this would be deciding what weapon I will be training with that day. Then comes the decision of what type of drill I will be using. I write the plan down after deciding on drill. The targets, magazines, targets, safety gear and IFAK are then loaded into vehicle. I also add a cooler with refreshments because when I go it is an all day event.

1 Like