How long is range trip prep?

I’m curious how long it takes folks to prep for a range trip, and maybe what a post trip looks like. I can’t shoot in the yard, so I have to pack and travel. If I convince myself it is worth the bother to go, I usually pack 4-8 firearms to enjoy. (Many seem to bring one and…practice, but I’m here for the smiles. One would certainly make prep shorter!)

It seems to take me 45-60 minutes to get things out of the safe, match the right ammo, get targets, eyes/ears/etc. packed, enter related data in the logs (I track rounds through each starting with any preloaded ammo) and be ready to roll. Then a 30-45 minute drive.

The return trip ends in unpacking, bore cleaning and a general wipedown. Then putting everything back where it goes, and the obligatory logs for any updates or added-at-range ammo.

It would be so nice to shoot on our property one day!

3 Likes

My range bag is pre loaded with all the gear and loaded mags for my commonly used firearms. So all I need to do is throw my bag, targets and firearms in the car and drive 5 to 25 minutes down the road, depending on which gravel pit I want to shoot at.

This makes my wrap up process a little longer as I try to clean and reload everything when I get home. But I usually do all that while watching some TV so it makes it less of a chore.

8 Likes

For the indoor range, the only items I need to add to my range bag are locking gun cases(to satisfy a State requirement) guns and ammunition. I also take my coffee can for brass. That’s it!
To shoot at the BLM range, it’s a lot more involved 'cause I like to “mine” for lead to make more bullets.

4 Likes

I find that the more I prepare for the range, the more I get out of it. What I am saying is, I decide on what drills I should work on then what I am going to use to do the drills, which firearm to use that is. Then what targets I am going to use. These are my first steps of prep.
I have my range bag all set and ready, as well as my tools for the guns. Never know what can happen! We drive about 15 to 20 minutes to the range and get in rather quick. Then the range time is organized, fun, and has a purpose. Then we spend about two hours shooting.
I have what I call the WAR ROOM, where I have my guns, reloading, and gunsmithing stuff and I will bring the guns in there and clean them. Happy, Happy, Happy times!

4 Likes

You’re a better man than I am! the more I have to do before/after, the less likely I am to go at all. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Before our lives changed, 15 minutes, max 20 minutes to grab all my gear and go. 30 minutes drive to range. Three handguns and two rifles. Tested our GO time during a state of emergency evacuation. From the time I made up my mind to evacuate, 20 minutes flat, out the door and on the road.

“Everything” is always at the ready. Except the wife. First aid to loaded magazines. I think I followed the mantra from the movie “Heat”. “…don’t get attached to anything you can’t walk away from in 30 seconds when the heat is on…” I’m paraphrasing!

From 1992 to February 2019, was on the range three times a week a combination of indoor and outdoor, day and night.
Was it worth it? I would arrive at the range prior to sunrise, enjoy the air and peace and quiet, lay out my mat, scopes, binoculars, D.O.P.E. Logs, ammo and training emphasis. Prone behind my rifle, it doesn’t get any better than that! Rain or shine! 30 degrees or 96 degrees, high winds or dense fog. That was the whole point, everything acts and reacts differently to the weather conditions.

Someone mentioned targets. These are always in the trunk. Unless I’m zeroing a new rifle all targets are anatomical. There is no “X” on the human body!

Then ritual starts when I return home for a good cleaning and maintenance, my problem is, I want to return to the range as soon as I’m done cleaning and start all over again. If I could shoot in my backyard I would save a considerable amount of gas money.
Hitting the range no matter how long it takes is always worth it.

9 Likes

The wet blanket is money.
Money for ammunition
Money for gas for the car
Money for the range fees.

Every cost has increased while the value of income is taking a nose dive
so no wasting ammo for me. Every round spent has a purpose, just like every deflated dollar spent on inflated goods and services.
That means less live fire, more dry fire.
Less center fire, more rim fire.
Less range time, more time with 3x4 index cards taped to the bookcase
YMMV of course.

5 Likes

I shot nearly all 22 today, just a few 22M. Cheap range trip.

5 Likes

Depends on the reason for the trip-
Weekly proficiency session (ie handgun drills)-
Under 10m to grab the preloaded bags.
Zeroing/ new gear - 30-45m to get the log books & various load’s data sorted.
Range Therapy (mag dump day) - 30 seconds to scoop the GO bag on my way out the door.

4 Likes

I mainly go to the range to practice with handguns, maximum of three per trip.
All my three CCW pistols are in 9mm so that makes it easier to pack ammo. I bring four boxes but mostly shoot 50 rounds per gun.

Sometimes, I add a 1911 in .45ACP or .22LR and leave out one 9mm, and replace one box of ammo.

The night before, it takes me about 15-30 minutes
to make sure guns, ammo, eyes & ears, and miscellaneous supplies are ready.
I put them in one corner except the locked guns so everything’s grabbed at the same time.

3 Likes

Usually, about 5 minutes. Grab the mags and ammo for the particular primary firearm and put them in the range bag, pick some targets off the shelf for same.

Most things are permanently packed in the range bag. And I always have a few pistol mags in the side and a couple AR mags in the center. Just a matter of grabbing a handful of pistol ammo or a handful of rifle ammo, or maybe some of each. Then go.

Return is a boresnake a couple times, maybe, maybe not.

4 Likes

Range bag is always set with eyes, ears, bore snakes, ballistol, swabs, rags, a towel, tools, and oftentimes a jar of .22lr. Pistol bag just waits for me to figure out who’s going for a ride, boxes of preloaded mags, grab some of those, and I have boxes of ammo out on a shelf for easy pickings.Rifles, take usually 2, 3 gun case makes that convenient and same deal with mags and ammo. I have targets in 3 cars and a truck already,and my steel set up is behind my truck in the driveway. The biggest delay is deciding what the heck my plan is for the day, windspeed, temp. , mood, and total time to be ready is usually about 40 minutes. I do ballistol/boresnake my guns immediately after usage, while barrel is still warm, and q-tips the breech, bolt face, ejector etc…whatever I can reach. That way, gun is fairly clean with fresh lube, and I can save the more thorough cleanings for the inclement days.
Last outing took about 10 minutes to prep, 2 pistols, 1 rifle, all .22lr…My fun to prep ratio was a personal best :laughing:. Then I shot rifle at the pistol range, saving cleanup and set up time. I should get back into the workforce… efficiency engineer :sunglasses:

5 Likes

I love the comments. I used to have a preset range bag also, then I got two more and now I have to move stuff!

5 Likes

Boy, howdy. If you can swing it. Afraid I wouldn’t get much shooting in, otherwise.

Mostly it’s just the EDC or house gun. I figure about 10 minutes to prepare — unload defensive ammo; decide what I’m going to work on; load magazines. Everything stays in the range box except the gun and holster — including my regular drills and anything new I want to try. Targets and related supplies are in an outdoor box at the range. Two minute walk to the bench. I probably spend more time setting up on-site than prep at home.

The other end of the day takes me longer than getting out the door — probably an hour to work up my notes, replace used supplies; put the gun back in service, etc. But at least by that point :boom: :boom: :boom: I’ve had my fun, and after action time is absorbing the lessons of the day.

3 Likes

I have a range bag with all the basics like Allen wrenches, lubricant, cleaning equipment per caliber, stapler for targets, push pins as back up, a spare mag per caliber,etc. Then the night before I tailor the rest depending on what my training plan is for that day. But I try to have more than I need because sometimes you need to change up your plan due to range situations ( may need to wait longer, or use distances you didn’t plan to use etc).
Bottom line is make sure you have all the basic needs and build from there.

5 Likes

Range bag is always packed, I also have a range ammo can that is loaded with the ammo that I might shoot. My range is about 50 steps from the back door or drive 3 miles to the outdoor sheriff’s range. No, I do not clean guns every time that I shoot. It is a waste of time and I have better things to do.

2 Likes

Honestly, not long. I just grab my range bag and go. I might waste some time deciding what I want to shoot that day, but that’s about it. The exception would be if I’m meeting someone and doing something special, like if I need special targets or bringing an older firearm.

3 Likes

I only take 2 firearms with me, so I can focus on drills. This equals 5 min prep time to clear the weapons and pack them. Usually I chat with the folks at the range, before I go in, may take 30 min, does it count as prep time?

3 Likes

If it’s just me it’s 5-10 minutes. If I’m taking someone with me, about an hour cause I have to check all my backups, in case they don’t have something. Then a 30ish minute drive to the indoor range, or if I am doing long range rifle shooting it’s a 2 hour drive.

Post trip, depends on what the bullet count is on each weapon, since I last deep cleaned it.

2 Likes

Like most of those who have responded I have a range bag that stays packed. Prep is doing a battery check on ear pro, range finders, and last but not least is a check of the First-Aid kit. Then I add the ammo for what I am going to be shooting, bug spray, sun screen type items for the time of the year. I probably spend more time filling the cooler with pop, water, and snacks. I do shoot on my own property so I always let someone know where I am going and when I expect to return (like you would do if you were out hunting for the day).

3 Likes