How long has it been since you've been to the range?

Went to our local outdoor range yesterday. I try to go once a week. I usually pick a specific training exercise each time—yesterday was strong and weak side one-handed shooting at 3, 5, and 7 yards.

Next time will be shooting while moving forward and backwards.

This is why I shoot outside rather than a range where you can’t move from one spot. That’s just target shooting, not defensive training.

5 Likes

Went today

6 Likes

I’m green with envy! :green_heart:

3 Likes

I went four days ago to shoot my new Ruger Wrangler SA 22 that I got for Christmas. I took two carry guns, a new Canik 9mm, a 357mag & one 1911. My wife & I spent around an hour & a half. Time well spent for both of us

6 Likes

Is that a Glock 26?

4 Likes

In the leather holster, G19.4 battlefield green.

4 Likes

I’ve had the same model for over 10 years. Love it.

6 Likes

Nice, and yeah, me too, great all around pistol. My best add on was putting extended slide releases on 6 out of 7 of my Glocks…would have done them all…but I lost count :laughing:…another addition to the “getting older” thread. :thinking:

3 Likes

I have tritium sights on all of my semiautos & when I carry the 26, I use the 15 round mag extension

4 Likes

I just went to the range a few days ago & took it. I have no idea how many thousands of rounds I have put it

5 Likes

My one issue I had was having the trigger spring loosen up and it flipped 90 degrees and wouldn’t fire. Odd figuring that out, but put in a 6 pound spring to replace the 4 pound standard, and it lightened the trigger pull nicely. Actually, 5 of my 7 “Glocks” are P80’s, Gen 3 Glock (or aftermarket) internals, which were fun/maddening/fun to put together and a decent learning experience.

4 Likes

Now I feel really good about myself, maybe I’ll pick up basket weaving as a hobby instead of firearms. :anguished:

3 Likes

Took my GF on Saturday. She could only do 2 magazines on the TX22 due to her shoulder. She’s improving despite not being able to shoot much.

I only brought my CZ (my carry gun), and did what drills I could.

3 Likes

It will be a while until I can get back to my club range, which also happens to be the only public range within 50 miles of me. The December 10th tornado destroyed the berms, consequently exposing the archery trail and several hiking trails. There are volunteers (and firewood guys) back there clearing all the downed trees. The range is state owned, but with the state being thoroughly tied up with more important cleanup and restoration, lord only knows how long it will be before they get around to working on the range.

I happen to know someone who owns an indoor range a little further from here. The fees are pretty reasonable, but still an added cost, and I’ve never shot an indoor range in my life. Might have to try it though, just to scratch the itch.

5 Likes

Finally made it today (yay!) but it was an uphill slog.

Finally talked a few friends into likely coming. We got there when they opened but apparently the range opens 3 hours later on Sundays… Talked one buddy into going to a second range. Third guy on the way decided to head home instead. Everyone else bailed out with made up obligations like familes…harumph.

Had fun shooting most of my weird stuff (Tomcat .32, Phoenix Arms .25. Henry pump 22M, etc.).

I know a great Indian place nearby, so we went there. Google says they’re open. Their site says they’re open. their door sticker says they’re open. They were closed. (that was fun with they’re, there, and their!). Not far away is a second (get the theme?) Indian place, so we rocked that.

Easy trip home on a dreadful death highway. Decided I was far too lazy to clean anything, but I did put it all away. Hoping to get back a few times before track season starts.

5 Likes

well i was going about once a week for awhile, till ammo was scarce and went up…i still went 2 times a month. it would take me that long to get enough ammo. and get to the stores early with my chair like a bunch of others, and wait an few hours in line, hope i end up with the ammo i need. then go to the range… it was crazy here in Cali for awhile. getting better now. hopeing ammo goes way back down tho…

3 Likes

Bottom target I did “Drawl Point Fire” pointing at each individual red square. 10 yards.
Top target “Drawl Sight Aquire Fire” 10 yards.
Using my EDC with red dot optic.
Date - 2/3/22. Outdoor range.
Fired 438 rounds that day. Sighted in 2 red dot optics and 1 green laser because of battery change.

5 Likes

Due to open heart surgery featuring 6 bypasses, I have not been to the range and trained with live fire since 3 November 2021 (a little over 3 months). I just put a new trigger from W Engineering (Sig P938/238 Skeletonized Aluminum Trigger - W Engineering USA ) in my Sig P938, so I stopped at the range to test it out today. Much to my surprise the very 1st shot at 5 yards was a bullseye! This is how the 1st magazine played out at 5 yards:

And this is the same target as it was moved back from 5 yards, to 7 yards, and finally 10 yards. There were a few fliers as I threw in some really quick double taps, so the bottom line is I really love the new trigger. I honestly did not expect to like it so much because it did not affect trigger pull readings, but I can really feel the reset much better, and the over travel is much shorter.

Now for the disappointing part of the trip. I have some Sig V-Crown JHPs I have not tested in my Colt Delta Elite 1911 (10mm). Since I have been doing dry fire exclusively since the surgery there was a snap cap in the chamber. I tried to rack the slide to eject the snap cap at the firing line. The slide jammed and locked in place about ¼ of a cartridge back. I could see the snap cap had broken loose from the extractor and able to slide fore and aft between the chamber and the now partially open breach. Long story short, I finally got the slide far enough back to get the snap cap out, but the slide still would not move all the way back. I did not recognize either of the ROs, but seeing me wresting my gun at the line got their attention. One of them came over to help me. Realizing they couldn’t rack it, they stuck a rod down the barrel to verify it was clear. They then suggested maybe doing a field strip might reveal the problem. I agreed, and started to field strip it. I was quickly stopped and informed there would be no field stripping at the firing line. I packed my stuff up and went into the store to see if they had an area where I could disassemble my firearm. The answer was NO! So, I went home, disassembled and reassembled it and all was well. I had already figured out what the problem was on the drive home – the rim of the snap cap had broken out and that piece was wedged somewhere between the slide and the frame. I inspected but could not find the chip out, but this is the problem snap cap:

5 Likes

I havent been in almost two months and Im itching to go. On a positive note theres a private club in town taking new members and I got accepted. I go on their orientstion this Saturday. Im so excited Ill be able to train however the hell I want. Movement, drawing from appendix, etc.

7 Likes

Enjoy your new membership, imo it is all the difference.
I skipped last week, a bit under the weather for the weather, then got ahold of some trees to cut, haul and split some of the ash. Break time today, heading to the club…trying to decide who is going up with me :thinking:
Edit, just got back… Beretta M9 on plates, G43 a few mags, just got my mojo working when the op rod broke…quick 100 rounds of .22 on paper next door at the pistol range, the banged steel at 300 yards with my .308 RPR. Too windy for .22 at the rifle range, but was 30/30 on the plate with .308…yawn :sunglasses:.

5 Likes