How long has it been since you've been to the range?

I went to the range two days ago. I’m retired & was finished with all of the crap I needed to do that day and it was only 85 degrees (South Texas) with a nice breeze so I took a few 9s & one 1911 with way too much ammo & took my time with my usual drills and then just had fun shooting. It;s an outdoor tactical Range with metal targets of all kinds at 25 & 90 feet.

3 Likes

My live fire shooting decreased drastically in 2020 and so far in 2021. I have been dry-firing a good bit though which I think has been really helpful.

I noticed this the last time I went to the range, was that I was shooting notably left. So this trip to the range with a buddy I made a determined effort to figure it out as I don’t think the sights drifted on me by themselves. I had what I thought was a pretty good grip on the firearm with pretty fair pressure with both hands in order to control recoil. I paid extra attention to sight alignment and front sight focus. I also paid attention to where my finger pad was situated on the trigger and tried adjusting a little more or less pad on trigger. None of that made much help as you can see in the target below. I was aiming at the little orange and green circle.

Then I made a slight adjustment in my firing hand grip, loosening it just a little bit. I kept my offhand pressure about the same. Lo and behold, the shots came back to the center. Again, aiming at the orange and green circle.

All shots were at 7 yards (except the one set tagged at 5yards). The paper plate is ~9in in diameter and the little stickers are 1in diameter.

5 Likes

Went today. Took the Sig P320, Springfield Saint Victor AR, and WASR 10 63 AK out for a spin. A good time was had by all. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

9-12-21: Sounds of Freedom & Heavy Metal Day- 12ga (target & buck), .45acp 1911, .357 revolver
Shoulder & elbows will be sore tomorrow- T.G for Advil!

1 Like

Nice shot. That’s a good looking setup.

2 Likes

That is great. Even with one outside of the target, you still did a great job on that.

2 Likes

The last time i went was about a month and a half ago, when i bought a shield plus and went to put about 50-100 rounds through. I was just trying to break it in a tad bit, i wasnt even trying to group or zero it. Just break it in and get a feeel for it so i can decide if i want to put into my edc rotation.

2 Likes

As an RSO I usually don’t shoot as much as I would like! Am always watching the others! Got to shoot this Monday—two days ago—to renew my Calif CCW permit. There is a very nice indoor range for that in Sacramento with nice folks running it. In the meantime, my other home down in Santa Barbara has my home range shut down due to a fire threat (it’s an outdoor range). We are on forest service property. Perhaps when I return it will open up again. I had forgotten how much fun it is to shoot 50 rounds out of 3 different firearms in the space of about 10 minutes!! Not as tight as I would like but under a time constraint and with varying distances, there’s a bit of a challenge there! image|335x500

1 Like

Just back two hours ago. Great morning. Shot four different guns and three different calibers.

I zeroed my new Bravo5, worked both iron sights and red dot, and shot from 7.5 to 100 yards.

But most of all, it was just one of those magical days:

You can’t shoot like this indoors!

Although in New Mexico, there are special challenges to picking up your brass:

Ouch!

7 Likes

Last Friday, pistols only, and only 3. Returned to the falling plates range with my hammer guns, SA Range Officer and Beretta M9, and had fun ringing steel at 15 and 25 yards for an hour plus, then my smallest hammer gun, Ruger SR22, got to hit paper at 12 and 15 for another half hour. Nothing tactical, just concentrating on form and accuracy, as well as working on my sight picture, aka “eye exercise”.
Next rainy day will be Glock 19/laser/ new holster.
Versa Carry is having some good deals for a couple more days I believe, and my 19 has spent a week in a new one, getting the leather shaped.

3 Likes

This past weekend. It was nostalgia weekend. Shot the M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, Springfield 1903, and Mosin-Nagant M44. A good time was had by all during our stroll down memory lane. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

this is what you need

3 Likes

Funny enough, someone stopped by while I was picking up my brass and showed me one of these:

9 Likes