How do you view guns? Tool or Heirloom?

Really good tools eventually become really good heirlooms, be it a shovel, a pocket watch or a Winchester rifle.

1 Like

They are one in the same to me. Every firearm I purchase is selected with the thought of passing it down to my boys. Some, like the MSR’s, I buy because I have no idea what the law will allow them to purchase when they are of age (4 & 1 YO now). Others, I purchase with the idea that they will be able to look at it and shoot it and think of me, whether it be the Dan Wesson 1911 I carry every day and might view as one might view a pocket watch, or one of my hunting rifles that will remind them of trips and hunts that we will go on. But they are all tools. I have a lot of $$$$$wrapped up in a lot of firearms, and none of them are safe queens. I still shoot my grandfather’s guns, even though I have many that most would consider “nicer.” Perfect example, this last winter, I went on a work vendor-sponsored put-and-take pheasant hunt. I left the 20 ga citori that I would normally take on a shoot like that and carried my grandfathers worn Winchester 97 16 gauge. Sometimes they just call to you.

1 Like