How do you train without ammo at home and in the classroom?

Only if you do it at Walmart! Haha

4 Likes

Been using airsoft

2 Likes

Wayne: Strikeman Laser Firearm Training System

2 Likes

You can’t go wrong with any of the options listed, the key is to pick one and consistently practice with an objective measure to keep things honest. I materially improved my draw-to-first shot with a SIRT Pistol and LASR software (gives you times to a hundredth of a second–objective AND you can see incremental improvement).
Right now I draw and present with a red dot optic pistol; the object is to ‘grove’ mechanics so that the dot immediately appears without ‘waiving’ the pistol around searching for the dot.
My second exercise is a MantisX X10 doing 20-30 trigger presses a day.
20 presentations, 20-30 presses takes less than 10 minutes (with a slow, methodical triple-check to confirm the gun is unloaded before starting). The key is consistency: pick something that you can’t blow off with “I don’t have enough time.”
Shooting is a perishable skill. It doesn’t have to cost a lot to maintain or improve your skills. And someday a unicorn will drop 500 /real/ rounds in your gun safe so when you get back out to the range you won’t just be making noise and look like you’re patterning a shotgun. (Ask me how I know these things…)

2 Likes

Hahaha :smiley:

2 Likes

I use a Airsoft that has fully functioning slide and weighted mag so it has a very close feel to my real gun. It fits in all my holsters so it allows me to practice in my garage with a target drawing it out of concealment, shooting, and tactical reloads.

2 Likes

I’ve been using an app called Dry Fire Par Time Tracker (Android) that is a dry fire shot timer that works pretty well, though of course there is no measurement of accuracy.

That started my search for a good laser training system over the last month. My Kahr striker pistols require a rack for every shot and I wanted to avoid training scars. SIRT pistols are sold out. LaserLyte pistols have a crappy trigger and don’t allow mag swaps or racking. After lots of searching, I found a Taurus G3 at a price just over a SIRT that has consistent DA without racking the slide each shot. (It was overpriced for a Taurus, but given today’s trends, it actually was a deal.) I carry compact pistols, so the extra weight will help me rebuild after recent back surgery.

With the pistol settled, then I needed to find a laser training system. MantisX has many benefits, but my pistols all have lasers, so sadly, I can’t mount it. Most of the laser training self-contained targets (like LaserLyte) are limited to one or a few target types and lack data collection, making it difficult to track trends and brag to your buddies. I also wanted simple, quick setup, so the PC-webcam-based systems were out.

After trying a bunch of systems from the Android Play Store, it came down to two systems, either MantisX laser Academy or LaserHit. For the cost, Laser Academy offers more features for free and you can unlock more for $5 each instead of the whole bunch at once. The combination of the G3, laser cartridge, and LaserAcademy looks like a fantastic combination for me.

3 Likes

The MantisX doesn’t need to be picatinny mounted, they have magazine floor plate rail adapters , or a universal rail adapter can be attached to the base of any magazine with double sided sticky tape.

3 Likes

Welcome to the family @Bill114 @Micheal4 @Wesley33 @Wayne123 @John74 @Timothy236 @Tom98 and y’all are in the right place at the right time.

1 Like

Mantis X

2 Likes

I actually use vr, it’s a bit better than laser rounds I’ve tried especially with multiple targets, not having to rack the slide each shot is great although it’s not quite a perfect translation to real life. Still a good way to train without ammo in my book.

2 Likes

Welcome to the family @Scott337 and @S.H.I.E.L.D.JLB and y’all blessed to be here.

1 Like

I don’t use any particular drills or training tools, I just spend about 10 minutes every night before bed practicing drawing and aiming. I’ll pick several small objects around the room (such as the knob on top of the bed post or the clock on the night stand) and will practice drawing and acquiring my sight picture at different angles and distances. When you get in a real gun fight and get that adrenaline dump, muscle memory is what is going to save your a**.

2 Likes

I go between dry fire and snapcap. :grin:

2 Likes

Laser and Mantis X10. Eventually Mantis X10 at the range as well.

2 Likes

I use Mantis X

2 Likes

I use an air soft pistol that has the same grip and feel of my EDC. Helped me get rid of the “flinch” and low shot placement. Fits perfectly in my holster for draw training too since draw training is not allowed at my range.

2 Likes

ELMS by G - Sight
Victor Gomez

2 Likes

I do force on force training using gas blow back airsoft pistols. I personally find that being able to see the bb hit or miss is really beneficial over dry fire training.

2 Likes

I purchased an artists easel, draped a 4 foot pillow across the easel, an old blanket and some shoot and see targets. I then purchased a 20 round bb pistol for $50. I can take the target anywhere in my house and practice different scenarios ( Bedroom, Hallway, Living Room, both day and night shooting). It’s a bit unusual I admit, but it’s been working for me.

3 Likes