How do you mobilize your ammo

Like your post for how it touches on several subjects, including preparing for emergencies, storing, organizing, and like someone posted, creating or joining teams in advance.

My first thought was the weather, cold, and moisture effecting ammo. Enjoying everyone’s replies. Looking forward to checking this string again.

4 Likes

You had to go and remind me of what I can now call, “the old days.” For my age I am reasonably fit, and I considered myself in good tactical shape until you mention this. Because I am familiar with my former state of fitness, I would not last today under those conditions. I’d be better off trying to cache my stash someplace I know that I’ll be or would attempt to get to should SHTF. But I keep a Go Bag in my trunk and one at the coat closet near the front door. As far as carrying or attempting to move the amounts of ammo that the Op mentioned and given what you’ve posed about fitness; Man, we are all in some deep, deep Kimchi. But you keep firing until the last shot, save one, and then you affix bayonet and fight till dead. JMHO

7 Likes

Ounces equal pounds, pounds equal pain. Bugging out should not involve more than a few magazines.

4 Likes

Nancy and I have had long talks into the wee hours of the morning about this and we are of the same mind, we will stay put and ride it out. We live in a good area and a food belt (lots of farms)
and Amish People who will sell or trade what they have for what they need. I have many barter items and ammo is one of them with discretion.
If we are overrun by the “Golden Hoard” I will burn everything.

11 Likes

I love the idea of a network.

Each trusted one in the circle would be able to accommodate those who evacuate.

4 Likes

Except California, we know they can’t stockpile anything :wink::grinning:

9 Likes

My lips are sealed :kiss:
:shushing_face: :laughing::laughing::laughing:

6 Likes

We will plan on meeting up at Sasquatch Tavern :grinning::+1:

5 Likes

I can make it on foot in 4 days 12 hours :wink:

4 Likes

20 minutes, it’s all downhill for me🤣

3 Likes

Yep have to have a team to survive.

I play Apex Legends, and pretty much what happens is you drop down from a drop ship, and choose where to land. Preferably away from any enemies.

You start out with no weapons, and no shields.

You and your team have to scavenger for supplies that are dropped all over the map, you have 6 minutes to get inside the next ring before the heatwave comes and damage your team, and each team is a team of 3 and there’s 20 teams all together.

If you don’t stick with your squad mates and wander off, you’re likely to run into another squad and get ambushed.

Also you and your teammates have to help each other with finding supplies, I get frustrated when I’m in a squad and somebody’s hoarding all the ammo, the shields, health, and when we need some supplies they won’t give it to us, then they’ll get into a fight, we don’t have the resources to cover them, and we lose that way.

Even though this is a game and different characters have different super powers that can give you an edge of making or breaking it, and even though no matter what you put in your backpack, like 2 rifles with over 500 rounds of ammo, your speed never changes. I believe the same concepts apply in an SHTF situation.

4 Likes

In other words, Fortnite?

3 Likes

I agree with the concept of forming local groups to survive such circumstances. Our founders did too. They had a name for such mutual support groups.

They were called the Militia.

9 Likes

Well between us we probably have a more comprehensive armory and more ammo then the average small to mid-size cities do. Good thing we’re the good guys! I have a whole house alarm system. Outside cameras cover all the approaches. And an 80 lb black mouth cur dog that firmly believes this is her property! Unless I introduce you she’s going to have a come to Jesus meeting with you.

8 Likes

That’s what I used to hear from the preppers I knew who had more ammo than me. They had it stashed in their homes as well as other strategic locations that they had plans to get to if something happened.

10 Likes

That’s a tough question considering we’re still recovering from this last shortage of ammo. I recall two previous ammo shortages that seem like minor inconveniences compared to this recent problem. I thought an extra 5,000 primers for handgun loads would be more than enough to get me through this recent ammo drought. “It’s just a few new gun owners…”, they said. But it really showed that ammo can disappear really fast based on political climate and mass media scare tactics and that shortages can last a long time. So it’s a combination of how much I want to have onhand at any given time, plus enough “extra” to get through any future craziness in supply.

Go back 15 yrs and I used to keep a constant inventory of about 2k rounds or more each of .45ACP & 5.56 (and various amounts in other cartridges). Right now, I’m somewhere between no longer believing 2k rounds is enough and refusing to pay 60¢/round for .45ACP. That’s factory new ammo. Components for reloading is another aspect I haven’t figured out yet. It’s still so volatile in that dept.

4 Likes

A “Friend’s Idea” is that you stage things in your intended “escape route” in generally accessible route of travel storage facilities. Generally accessible, means you can drive through the fence if you have to or use the gate. A 5’ x 5’ x 10’ storage locker can hold a lot of ammo and other things for minimal cost on the way to your favorite bug out spot.

He recommended using a credit card with a high credit limit that you only use to keep your credit score up and pay it every month on time and on target. 1. it keeps your equity from being reduced because you use it every month and 2. it is a minimal “gotta pay” which you pay before it hits your credit report which means you have zero balance on a high credit limit card. I. R. MBA and think about things like this.

If SHTF I’m a hunker down and ride out the first 45 - 90 days depending on how bad it gets after that most of the major opposition will be dead and me and my fires up every time 1977 Ranchero can get going to a stable spot before it begins to get desperate in suburbia.

Cheers,

Craig6

7 Likes

Not trying to start anything. I don’t think I will ever have enough.

I roll my preparedness supplies by a First In, First Out, inventory system. As I get newer supplies, they are placed at the rear of my inventory and I use whatever was oldest when needed. I do the same with ammo.

8 Likes

Ammo makes excellent barter.

7 Likes

Either you accept this cartridge as payment or you will accept a bullet as payment. Yeah, great bartering system. :sunglasses:

5 Likes