How Do You Help Guide This Tough Conversation?

Both. Zoning and carry get complicated here in Texas if the church also serves as a school. During school hours it’s a school, outside of school hours it’s not.

The official position of the dioces here is anti gun but they are leaving it up to each parish to establish their own policy.

2 Likes

Any intelligent gun user knows the fault of the AR and 15. In country users dumped it in favor of the m1 and a capture AK. It took an average of 10000 rounds per kia.
All that being said the issue is automatic ar and AK have been used in the mass shootings. Another writer mentioned that to make one of the weapons full auto takes skill. To those who believe that I point to now outlawed bump stock and the binary trigger which can empty a 30 round magazine in 13 seconds.
IF and when this gets outlawed the gun makers will come up with a fix.
Let’s face it Trump has drank the NRA cool aid and will not sign the background check bill.
78 % if all Americans are in favor of the measure.
Again if the lodi shooter had been subject to the background check and the age requirement he would not been able to purchase a legal weapon.

The weapon isn’t the issue. It’s the intent of the person using the weapon. I can fully load a Glock 17 with a 30 round magazine - which is completely legal - and get 30 rounds off in about the same amount of time. The big difference is that I’m not using the gun to kill someone.

If someone who’s intent is to murder people cannot purchase a firearm legally, do you think it will stop them from purchasing a firearm illegally? Murder is already illegal, but that’s not stopping people from murdering others.

3 Likes

I can empty a 10 round mag in my 45, in 3 seconds. Add in 2 reloads, and I can fire 30 rounds in about 12 seconds. 30 round magazines are not the problem. Only 78% of those polled are in favor. I wasn’t polled, were you?

6 Likes

If he polls were accurate President Clinton would have already done everything she could get away with to ban every person from having any weapons other than a musket. Never mind, they want those banned as well because they make terribly large holes in people and “nobody needs a” .50 musket. And as others have voiced, I can put 25 rounds on target in less than 15 seconds with one in the pipe and 4 6 rounds magazines. It will not be a pretty grouping, but it will get the job done. And there are no automatic ARs or generally available AKs without a stamp and none of those have been used in these incidents. Contrary to popular opinion, bump stocks and binary triggers do not make a weapon an automatic.
I’d also suggest that there are probably a few NRA members who are in this forum, including myself. I am interested in protecting the “People[s]” rights and I am the people who are spoken of in the Bill of Rights. Those Amendments the protect me from my government and, should the day come, allow me, along with the rest of the “militia” to overthrow the government. Just like our founding fathers had to do. Frankly, everyone focuses on firearms in the in the Second Amendment but it encompasses “arms”, not just firearms. Taken in context of the times it was written, “arms” included all the weapons that the colonist could muster to fight a war against one of the most advanced military forces of the times including firearms and all other available arms.
This may sound like rhetoric but we do not have a gun problem. We have a people problem. Taking guns away takes one tool out of the hands of both the criminal and the “people.”

5 Likes

It’s not the guns, it’s the person behind it we need to stop. Other than a short blurb, there wasn’t a big outcry over the guy in Orange County, CA who killed 4 people including a security guard with a knife. Why doesn’t the media and the Democrats get behind banning knives? We need to go after the perpetrators before they strike with any weapon, whether it be a gun, a knife, a car, a truck, fire or a bomb.
Disarming lawful gun owners is not the answer and never will be.

2 Likes

Ooo… I like that. Clever! I may steal that. :raised_hands: :clap:
And precisely right.

Yep. And only one illegality modified one used, and no people killed in that incident.

Exactly. Exactly exactly.

^^^ THIS!!

4 Likes

YES. THIS ^^^
Welcome to the group @Robert152

2 Likes

Let us all hope that never happens @Sean7. I’m raised catholic but the official posture from the Papacy is no guns of course the pope more insulated from danger than most world leaders and I think he actually believes in his mind what he is saying. He’s old very old and his mind is living in as different era.

1 Like

You don’t need a bump stock or binary trigger to dump a magazine in 15 seconds.

You cannot even approach the same rates of fire with a semi auto that a full auto version is capable of.

I don’t care if 78% of people polled approve of something, my rights are not subject to a majority vote.

Instead of trying to constantly circumvent the bill of rights you folks should just stand up on your hind legs and try to repeal it.

The AR/AK platform rifles available today are the equivalent of the rifled musket in the founding era as they would allow us if needed to meet the enemy and have an even chance of winning the fight.

One of the main reasons we were able to win the revolution was because out troops equipped with rifled muskets could engage the enemy with accurate fire at more than twice the range of the British Brown Bess.

The vast majority of mass shootings are not committed with so called “assault weapons” they are committed with handguns and out of all the mass shootings ever committed with an AR/AK there’s only one in which you can even argue that the platform allowed for more and/or more severe casualties than could have been inflicted with handguns, shotguns etc and that was the Mandalay Bay Shooting.

So called, “Assault weapons” are the most rarely used weapons in “gun crimes” but they are simply seen as the low hanging fruit.

If tomorrow we passed a ban on “assault weapons” and they magically vanished from the planet the next mass shooting will be committed with a handgun or shotgun so what do we do then?

Shall we ban each platform as it’s used in a mass shooting? If we did that we’d be down to breech loading singles and doubles in six months and a year later we’d be lucky to even still have muzzle loaders.

Repeal the 2nd, 4th, 5th, and 14th Amendments if you think you can otherwise stop infringing on the rights of “The People” in the name of “public safety”.

5 Likes

I’ll offer a correction Mike.
“Arms” is inclusive of all the weapons and equipment necessary for a colonial militiaman to show up ready to do battle, not just firearms, not just weapons either, all of the necessary weapons and equipment carried or used by a colonial era infantryman.

3 Likes

^^^ Right on to all of @wildrose’s post and especially this.

4 Likes

A year later we may be lucky to be alive. Let’s not forget that the filth will not abide by those laws!

1 Like

I try to have rational talks about this, when I can, but it is never rationality or logic it’s feelings and emotions. That’s when I stop trying and just say my rights don’t stop where your feelings begin.

They always try to talk about militias, and I’m great, let’s talk about citizen militias, and invariably first thing is, pick your branch of National Guard. Well slight problem, most don’t know, All National Guards got Federalized by Congress, all they have to do is call governor of X state and say we are taking over your National Guard because of X,Y,Z reason so that can’t be a citizens militia if it can be Federalized. (Post Katrina would put link up but @Dawn and @USCCA are not fans of the links.)

I honestly think pro 2 A people need to start organizing, because the NRA Leadership has made itself to vulnerable.

2 Likes

I received yet another letter from the NRA just yesterday stating that they are dissolving if I don’t send them any donations. I don’t know why they give trucks and $50,000 cash away, and guns if they are so broke and worried about going out of business.

1 Like

No, I think they still get alot of money but they are doing things I find extremely questionable, that leave them vulnerable to ethical charges from within and the infighting will be the problem.

1 Like

I’m being sort of tongue in cheek @Zavier_D the NRA spends seemingly millions of dollars on printing, envelopes, and bulk postage each year and if most people toss in trash like I do, then it’s a gross waste of money. I mean everyone under 100 years old uses email and has for years. The NRA is silly.

I think newbs’ join NRA because when people who are relatively new to the gun world purchase a new gun they get a coupon-like slip of paper in with their new gun to join the NRA

2 Likes

I think the toughest part is that no matter what you say, anyone that is anti gun will ignore what you tell them. They really don’t care about the truth. I have lost friends over this. Last fall, this one person told me how these fully semi automatic killing weapons should be banned. So you are up against a lack of understanding and that is really tough to over come.

I have 2 very specific guns for competition with my kids. 1 is a heavily modified Ruger 10/22 with a pretty blue synthetic stock. The other is a S&W 15-22 Sport Competition in full black looking like an AR. (NY says I can’t have it so I store it in PA). Non gun people tell me the blue one is fine, even after I tell them the blue one shoots faster due to an aftermarket trigger…The black one is scary.

You have to approach with caution and every person is different.

Trying to get them to understand the truth is tough. I may have actually gotten through to my sister in law after I explained how the NICS really works, how and why it’s broken and it fails.

The bigger problem is you can’t legislate away angry people so they focus on the weapon. They don’t want to hear that we need to educate people, interact with neighbors. Care about each other, because this is huge.

My neighbors with young kids are not gun people but Know I have them. She asked one day if there was someone bad in the neighborhood if I would defend them, I said yes because I would. I also told her I want to educate her kids on gun safety when they are a bit older. She didn’t say no so it’s a start. Another neighbor freaked when she found out my kids shoot competition and exclaimed how unsafe that was. She refuses to even talk about it so I let it go. I will not win that argument.

So, how do we have the conversation? Very carefully and you must understand and take into consideration each person and how ignorant they are of guns and laws.

Most of all, be polite. Anything that even remotely sounds antagonistic is bad.

Sneezy (AKA Kevin51)

1 Like

They’re not sending me stuff right now… are they saying “will happen” instead of “could happen”?

1 Like