How clean are your magazines?

Ours were brand new had to take them out of the wrapper but the genius that decided they had to be parkerized should have been shot

3 Likes

Just so I can check and clean them, I have 6 mags at least for all my pistoles I donā€™t want 2 used mags and 4 new in box I want them all broken in. If we travel further from home, I will load extra mags for the ride. I carry an extra .32 mag in my left back pocket with my comb and to my surprise when I thumbed the rounds out, I found a little ball of hair in the mag. :slightly_smiling_face:
Besides, Iā€™m just a bit anal about checking my equipment and keeping it in top shape. :wink:

2 Likes

Nice thing about guns is that once you field strip them you can pretty much tell where and how much cleaning is needed. Not so with magazines. The evil lurks in the dark and hidden places.

6 Likes

You see, this was my problem. I did not have any problems till I needed them at the training class and then it was too late.

5 Likes

Actually, a training class is the best place to discover problems as opposed to having a problem in the wild.

4 Likes

Good topic. Mine are kinda still new, as I sold mine, for different models.

I imagine taking a mag apart is best cleaning, but I donā€™t trust myself on being able to disassemble, reassemble, and fear Iā€™ll lose a spring or a part. But I know they are able to disassemble.

Figure Iā€™ll clean em when they age, but I was thinking of just wearing some leather gloves, and using a dull but strong tool and push a cleaning towel down into it, and wipe it out, being careful not to scratch or break anything, being careful that no threads or strings ever get caught in there as would cause a serious malfunction. IDK.

Yep.

2 Likes

I actually have 1 out of 3 OEM magazineā€™s that is a little sticky, doesnā€™t freely fall out in my Glock. Not sure why.

1 Like

Depress the spring and secure it then you can clean with Q-tips and a towel. That is how I managed to operate that day. They were still dirty bur it worked well enough to get through the class.

3 Likes

My carry mags donā€™t really get dirty. I use them enough to prove them and then only use them on rare occasion to cycle through ammo.

My rifle mags on suppressed riflesā€¦now those are filthy

5 Likes

The price of silence!

4 Likes

Also consider the relationship of dirty ammo being directly proportional to dirty magazines.

And the price of cheap ammo is inversely proportional to clean(er) magazines.

4 Likes

My wife keeps finding my dirty magazines. She says they are disgusting!

6 Likes

Well, most of the time, they get ignored. The only times that Iā€™ve laid them all out to clean has been before going to a class where Iā€™ll be shooting 500 rounds or more. But for normal range days and shorter classes, they mostly get ignored until thereā€™s an issue. There have been times when one might feel a little gritty when Iā€™m loading it or the follower might look dirty at which point Iā€™ll set it aside to clean later. Or if Iā€™m doing reloads at the range, Iā€™ll use the same two that get dropped repeatedly and then those two get cleaned and inspected when I get home. So thereā€™s some random cleanings in there.

Thereā€™s also a factor of which magazines weā€™re talking about. For my 1911s, Iā€™ve got a LOT of magazines, all with different amounts of use and wear, and different states of cleanliness. If I go to a class with a 1911 and have an issue, Iā€™ve got plenty of mags to spare. But for some, Iā€™ve only got two or three mags. If I was going to take even a small class with one of those, Iā€™d make sure to carefully inspect and possibly clean those mags before the class. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever cleaned my Beretta mags. :grimacing: But I donā€™t take it to any classes because I suck with that first DA shot so itā€™s just a range gun anyway.

I should find a way to number my mags one of these days. I usually just use tape to identify any that give me problems or to identify which ones are going to take some abuse during training.

EDC mags are a different story of course. They get special treatment.

1 Like

Thanks, smart advice brother.

4 Likes

Something I never thought of. Thank you.

Sharpies ā€œpermanentā€ markers come in colors. I buy white or silver and mark the plate on every mag I own and keep all the mags that belong to a gun WITH the gun. I donā€™t like mix/match. Marking mags is also almost a requirement when you play/train with groups and you all have similar or same guns, or youā€™re almost guaranteed to come home ā€œlightā€.

BTW, if needed, Sharpie permanent ink comes off with rubbing alcohol. Most folks donā€™t know thatā€¦

5 Likes

I mark mine also :us:

2 Likes

I use paint pens to mark mags

Like these

5 Likes

Yep Used them. Started at # 1 on bottom plate. :us: :us:

1 Like

I havenā€™t bought Playboy or penthouse since I was in my thirties and that was three decades ago! :rofl:

1 Like