How are you doing after the 9th Circiut Court ban on carrying?

Yeah, I could see it varying between counties in CA. My initial permit application took almost a full year to finally get all the pieces complete, these days it can be acquired in a few months.

Several mass shootings had occurred that increased the demand for CCW permits and the Sheriff wasn’t initially set up to process a large number of applications and interviews. The Live Scan process was backlogged, so all the steps took time.

Par for the course when it comes to things like this in CA, they make everything more difficult and more expensive than other states, no denying that fact. It’s a privilege to have the permit. I have several gun buddies in neighboring counties (LA and San Diego) that can’t get one, so I feel fortunate to have one in these weird times.

2 Likes

I think we should leave those wildfires alone and watch CA burn to the ground so that they can start over. CA should be cut off from the USA. I’m fed up with liberals moving to my state and destroying our culture.

1 Like

It is important to realize what the Heller Decision said. One of the key sections of the Heller Decision was as follows: “Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose: For example, concealed weapons prohibitions have been upheld under the Amendment or state analogues. The Court’s opinion should not be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms. Miller’s holding that the sorts of weapons protected are those “in common use at the time” finds support in the historical tradition of prohibiting the carrying of dangerous and unusual weapons.”

The second sentence, SCOTUS gives local governments the right to regulate what weapons can be carried and how they may be carried. So, if the current SCOTUS follows the precedent of Heller, they will rule that local governments may outlaw open carry.

Additionally, the phrase, “…or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms.” is why California can legally ban “assault” weapons.

2 Likes

If a psycho is going to shoot he’s shooting everyone within a certain distance the open carry individual if they train will usually be behind cover if not somewhere else if I walk in a room with nefarious intention and I see 6 or 8 people in the room with owb holsters well my job just got harder. You mostly see this type of shooting wherever that shooter feels safe enough to do it , with the least resistance

1 Like

Any data to support your claim that criminals in mass shootings target citizens carrying firearms? There are stories where a criminal tries to rob someone that is OC and does not notice that the person has a firearm. Here is an opinion piece that outlines some of the facts and myths on OC.

3 Likes

Open carry has deterred unknown attempts of various crimes: a potential perp notices someone openly carrying and decides better to move on; it is, after all, about training. Having come from NYC, straight jacket laws thru ill-thinking politicians have made it and continue to make gun enthusiasts miserable. When I moved to NC, breathing the air of Liberty, I decided to cross open carry … thus, every time I’m in a store, that stills allows it, I have my left arm over the butt of the pistol while using my right hand for whatever I’m needing to do. Open carry gets a bad rap from those presuming little or no training but as long as it’s legal who’s to judge 'cept the self righteous. As with the gun culture in general and life, things need to be thought through carefully and considerately …

2 Likes

I feel your pain, GaryM. Back in the early 80’s I was a reserve sergeant for a SoCal city police dept. They wouldn’t give the reserves a CCW permit because back in the 50’s one of their reserve officers did something stupid.

It wasn’t till I left that dept. in '88 and went to another dept. in central CA that the chief there issued me a CCW. I kept that current even after I left the dept in '94. Moved to AZ in '96 and haven’t regretted it in the least!!

Hey, GaryM, there’s lots of room out here for you! Why not move somewhere you can be treated like a real American?
;-D

1 Like

Funny you say that Don, we’re working on getting our butts out of CA. We sold our home last year, renting a friends house, and are now trying to make that decision on the next place. AZ is definitely on our list.

I moved from OH to CA back in the mid 90s. It was fun and exciting at the time, it’s an amazing state. It’s unfortunate that the politicians, voter fraud, over population, taxation, and all the wacky laws/policies have destroyed the CA dream.

There are still good areas and good people in this state, even though many think it’s just the land of fruits and nuts. Unfortunately I don’t see it ever changing and getting better, only worse.

1 Like

Illuminating article, @Dave17. I’ll have to go back and read it again when I can focus more on it. One thing that stood out for me is the perception of open carry, particularly with regard to the normal people (i.e. non-BGs) we interact with daily.

I’m convinced open carry is a deterrent to anyone wanting to inflict harm, but at the same time, insisting on open carry and (though it’s fully our decision to do so) saying “to hell with you if you don’t like me exercising my rights,” will exclude us from certain segments of society. Concealed seems like a good “middle way.” I have acquaintances, colleagues, friends even, who have no idea that I carry, or that they are often within a couple of feet of a loaded pistol.

1 Like

No, I am not advocating that we “should” OC, only that, as you stated, it is a choice, and like anything else, we should not be critical of those that do. There are definitely places that OC is normal, certain communities, ranges, gun shows, gun stores, etc. I, personally, have no issue with someone OC.

Those I know well, know I carry, as on occasions that “gun control” or firearm rights is broached, I do make statements. My wife does not like me broaching the topic, so I do not, but when the topic arises or someone specifically asks me a question, she has no issue with me speaking. I try to provide information, not opinion, and let the person(s) I am speaking to form their own opinion. Frequently when discussing “gun control” laws, and they get the facts, they state the law is stupid or ridiculous, to which I agree. That works much better than my stating x is stupid/ridiculous. Most people are smart enough to figure it out. Then there are those that will just ignore the truth as it does not comport with their beliefs. Those are the ones that you walk away from.

3 Likes

I guess I’m lucky to live in Utah. In May concealed carry without a permit goes into effect. Open carry, 2 motions, is legal now. So as other states $#!+ on the 2A, Utah seems to be embracing it.

6 Likes

Sorry Sunshine, but you don’t get to determine what laws are Constitutional and which are not. That decision is left to the 9 justices of the Supreme Court. So, your ballyhooing that this or that is unconstitutional is pretty much worthless.

1 Like

Okay, sugarplum, which part of “shall not be infringed” don’t you understand? No need for all the name calling.

3 Likes

Now, now, be civil.

Speaking of worthless commentary…

2 Likes

Yes I do get a little fussy when I see people’s rights being blatantly violated by judges ignoring the law and clearly written English in order to further political agendas.

Happy to brighten up your day @OldCowboy :wink:

4 Likes

Ppl still live in California?

6 Likes

Depends on your definition of “live.”

7 Likes

Alley-oop, and @Alces_Americanus dunks it!

3 Likes

@Alces_Americanus & @G.Washington, yes we do still live in CA, there are reasons why we do.

Those reasons are not worth explaining to anyone nor any of their business.

I am blessed that I can live anywhere, I choose.

I can get up and leave at any moment and still make the same money and keep my job with my corporation or easily find work.

Ive also learned and know that just because I can doesn’t mean I should.

Like making ignorant comments for example.

2 Likes

Oh, don’t get so worked up about it, @KenM. If we can’t dump a little on California these days, what can we dump on?

Please don’t mistake sarcasm for ignorance. If you don’t actually know another’s experience, you might end up getting a little tar on yourself from your own brush.

3 Likes