Home Security: Moving to a New Home?

I’m looking to move closer to work. Two hours a day in the car is getting a bit old. I’d rather have some of that time back to use on the range or take the doggos to the park. Alas, house hunting presents its own sets of challenges.

Even if you’re not looking at a new place, you can look at your current home with a more discerning eye.

What do you suggest someone moving into a new place does first to improve their home security?

1 Like

There are many factors to look a and for me it changes with the location and crime rate in the area.
First where are we looking, in town, edge of town or outside of town? My concerns change on location as well as the type of construction.
How old it the building.
What type of construction
How much land
Hw many stories
MUST have basement
Does it have fences
Is there too much /not enough foliage
Is there an existing security system

I could go on and on but it all starts with choosing the land and structure that checks off as many of your boxes to begin with. Next for me is doing what I can do while getting the best bang for the buck. In other words what improvement can I afford right now that will make me feel the safest right NOW.

That might be cameras, it might be a privacy fence, it might mean replacing select door/windows or could be a simple as changing the locks.

BTW
The first thing I do when I have moved into a new house is change ALL the locks, it is easy for me as I still have all the tools I need to do this myself by just cutting new keys and repining the locks. No matter what someone tells you changing physical keys and clearing to factory defaults and reprograming any electronic locking devices, and dont forget to reprogram your overhead garage doors and/or auto gates.

Those last few things so many people forget about or seem unconcerned with. For me, it is something I will have completed in the first 24/48 hours of taking possession of a property.

2 Likes

I’m a big fan of the systems that link to your cell phone and give you video of anything going on at the house particularly if an alarm is triggered.

Beware that in many localities around the country now you can get either no service at all from police for an alarm, very delayed service, and in quite a few if they respond to a false alarm you can get handed a ticket/bill. That being the case look at the various options available and see who has the lowest false alarm rates, highest recommendations in your area, and consider whether or not you want the alarm company to notify you, police, or both should there be an alarm.

There are two schools of thought about putting a "This Home Protected by XYZ security company.

One, pro’s will probably know what system you have and the easiest way to disable it and that you have something of value in the home you’re willing to spend money to protect.

Two, it is a great deterrent to most as they are looking for soft targets, not a fight.

When looking at a move, be sure and look at crime rates for the neighborhoods you are interested in.

I take the criminals point of view. How easy would it be to get in and out quick?
Or would it be an easy place to park a work truck without too much attention. Lots of shrubs or bushes around windows? Those sorts of things is where I start

1 Like

Shrubs and bushes can actually be a good deterrent as well, just plant things that are nasty, pokey, and prickly. Here in TX and the Desert SW “zeroscaping” is very popular and you can do wonders with prickly pear.

2 Likes

And then you have to maintain them - I usually end up scratched and bleeding with those types of plants. :frowning:

1 Like

I have a passion for Roses myself and have had since I was a kid. Just wear heavy gloves and a heavy long sleeve shirt when you have to mess with them and you’re fine.

Cacti and Succulents are extremely slow growing so you probably won’t live long enough to make it a problem.

Prickly pear if you get the right strain are very easy to shape and manage simply by cutting off one of the “leaves”. You can easily raise them up off of the ground and get them to fan out in very nice, symmetrical patterns that are very attractive and very discouraging to the bad guys.

They have absolutely beautiful blooms as well and even the buds are very attractive and will attract all sorts of songbirds throughout the summer and fall.