Home defense shotgun

I have to jump on the Remington 870 train. I love mine and have had her since 1992. I recently added the Magpul stock and fore grip. It is reliable and has never once had an issue.

5 Likes

Thanks everyone for the advice

4 Likes

@William228 That is what makes this community great is the collective knowledge and the willingness to share it.
You cannot go wrong with a Home Defence Shotgun , you can fire birdshot, buckshot and slugs.
A 12ga. will take down any game in North America, 2 legged and 4 legged.
Stick to your budget and you can upgrade later if you feel you need to. I have 7 and they make up the core of my firearm survival plan. Stay safe, Bruce and Nancy.

3 Likes

Get a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 with a stock and an 18 to 20 inch barrel. You can find police trade ins at your local gun store from time to time. Pistol grip shotguns are good for hip fire, which we all know is wrong, because we have to aim as we are responsible for every pellet that leaves our muzzle.

The next step after getting a shotgun is to grab a few different brands of buckshot and see what kind of buckshot holds a tight pattern coming out of your gun. My Mossberg likes federal buckshot with flight control wads. Birdshot is fine for practicing reloads, but according to ballistics gelletin testing, it is a poor choice for HD.

8 Likes

Started with the 5XX and they are fantastic. Currently 590 A1, which is their flagship and military approved edition. I bet that once you get the 500 and use it for a few years you will dream of upping to the 590 A1. Both are excellent for home defense. My personal fear is that during a bump in the night I will pause like a deer in the headlights trying to pick between my shotgun and my M4! Train with both and I assure you that being on the wrong end of my response wouldn’t be pleasant. LOL!

5 Likes

I have a friendship with Mossberg and I look for shotguns that might be at the end of the
line some. I found a 26" Mossberg 535 12 gauge that can use 2.75 “, 3.0”, and the famous 3.5"
magnums. please remember your CHOKE system. ( 3 ) screw in type into the Barrel .
Cost: $ 300.00 + on the money.

1 Maverick 88 18.5" Barrel $188.00
1 Maverick 88 26" Barrel $188.00

I did not want 3 costly Barrels and a the pump shotguns cost less. I got the full firearm.

The 18.5 " barrel is and open choke and uses rifle slugs.

6 Likes

After decades of overspending–I buy a lot of dependable guns used (I have the money to buy new, but I’m trying to be frugal). Look for a used Remington or Mossberg. In my experience, both are reliable and will do the job.

5 Likes

I do the same thing. Mossberg really put out a great shotgun. The 500 and the Maverick 88
are great to have in different barrel length and a full choked 12 gauge works well too. I love the
10 to 12 yard distance with 12 Ga. and 2 to 4 shot and 3" ammo. The 18.5 " barrel, open choke barrel,
has a liking to 12 gauge rifle slugs with some weight behind them.

thank you.

6 Likes

One more here as well for the short-barreled 870. A very reliable 12 gauge defender.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Old school 870 Wingmaster above.
There are two levels of 870’s, Express and Wingmaster. You will find the Wingmaster to have a better action.

1 Like

Im curious as to what type of shotgun you prefer for home defense? thanks

2 Likes

Pistol grip, pump action, no stock, short barrel. :+1::+1:

3 Likes

https://community.usconcealedcarry.com/t/best-home-defense-shotgun/38026/2

I have a 12 gauge with short barrel but not pistol grip. thanks for the good feedback

1 Like

Nice piece of hardware brother.

Every shotgun seems to like Federal Flight Control buckshot.
Within living room range though, they aren’t a necessity.
My 2 cents anyway,

3 Likes

Kel-Tec KSG Shotgun dual receiver. Wrist switch so can choose between 00 buck and slug on the fly. 15 rounds in gun and 14 more on saddle.

1 Like

Nice piece of hardware brother.

1 Like

100% agree, I have mossber maverick for hm defense, the shorter barrel makes it easier to use in the house

2 Likes

I am fortunate years ago I purchase a Benelli M3, sucker is loud and would not want to fire it indoors … LOL

2 Likes