Home defense, shotgun or handgun?

Good video. Thanks @Harvey

4 Likes

Interesting video. I think after watching it, I’m even more convinced the shotgun is a less optimal choice for a couple reasons, at least compared to a 5.56.

To get a control on wayward spread (tighten your group to prevent errand pellets striking friendly targets) you need to go to a specialty defense round. That’s ok, but having super tight groups then takes away the “accuracy-can’t miss with a shotgun” benefit. Once you lose that benefit, you’re left with a big recoil (reads, harder to control) rifle with a very low round count, And much shorter effective range. Is the shotguns 00 stopping power that much greater than getting slammed with a 5.56 rifle round? Is it worth the trade off ?

just for giggles, let’s do a completely scientific (not scientific) comparison (purely on my subjective opinion), he he You decide what’s best for you.

Scale 1-10

Handgun.
Capacity rounds 6
Accuracy (ease of hitting target) 5
Effective range 5
Lack of Recoil 6
Maneuverability in CQB 10
Stopping Power 5

AR pistol (5,56).
Capacity rounds 10
Accuracy (ease of hitting target) 8
Effective range 10
Lack of Recoil 9
Maneuverability in CQB 7
Stopping Power 8

Shotgun w 00
Capacity rounds 4
Accuracy (ease of hitting target) 9
Effective range 6
Lack of Recoil 2
Maneuverability in CQB 5
Stopping Power 10

3 Likes

Definitely one of those situations where a live pup beats a bull-pup - cause some times man’s best friend does it better! :slight_smile: ( A hearty “woof” is like racking a shotgun, it says “KEEP OUT” in every language known to man "

5 Likes

I am unsure about the concept of an “attack toddler” However a teenager in “one of those moods” would seem a formidable weapon to employ on a hapless intruder.

4 Likes

@DS-1 Have you not seen “The Boys” series on Amazon Prime?

3 Likes

Well, All rightie then, I stand corrected ! ( exaggerated bow swooping the hat I’m not wearing nearly to the ground )
too-shea sir!

4 Likes

Nice piece of hardware brother.

3 Likes

:+1: Warrior Poet Society’s John Lovell had a similar concept with the chart.

5 Likes

I have a Taurus 357 & its a solid revolver that is very accurate

6 Likes

Very nice!

4 Likes

Nice pieces of hardware brother.

3 Likes