Home Defense AR15: Condition 1 or 3?

My AR15 is stored in a safe under my bed. Should it be cruiser ready or locked and loaded? Why?

Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

My handguns are always loaded with one in the chamber. Why would a defensive long gun be any different?

As to why - I don’t want to take precious time loading a round when I need one.

9 Likes

I would recommend any shotgun or an AR-15 set up for home defense to be kept in “cruiser ready” condition. Magazine inserted, bolt forward on an empty chamber.

Stay safe out there.

7 Likes

I think that depends on what you plan to have it for? Is it your primary firearm for personal defense?

My AR is locked in my room as well with the magazine in it, and the bolt locked back. This makes it fast for me to load, but not have one in the chamber. It may be different for some however because my handgun is my primary home defense firearm.

6 Likes

Safety in “pew” or “no pew”?

I see how that gives you 2 options to release the bolt, bump the butt or bump the bolt release. Every one’s comfort level is different, I am not sure I feel comfortable with a condition that could chamber itself by falling over.

However I feel more comfortable with @OldGnome approach chambered with safety “ON”

5 Likes

Agreed, no doubt always the same best answer…

3 Likes

Good point and I apologize for not including that!

The safety is always in the “no pew” position unless it’s in my hands.

5 Likes