Holstered Gun/ Safety Rules

I know this may seem silly, but the other day I had to squeeze by someone crouched in an isl at the store. My holstered gun could have potentially flagged them. I am aware that it’s impossible for a holstered gun to go off, but it’s still a scenario that bothers me. Does gun safety rule #1 apply to holstered gun on a belt? Any thoughts?

4 Likes

Being a firearm it is always loaded, regardless. What weapon were you carrying? Why were you worried?

Larry

2 Likes

My thought is this:
It’s like driving a truck with a long trailer… Observe and anticipate the pinch points or dead ends, and just go a different way. Sometimes it’s the long way, or out of your way, but you don’t get stuck.

3 Likes

IWB/AIWB holster is flagging lower body parts of the person wearing it all the time.
If you have GOOD holster nothing to worry about.

4 Likes

These are my thoughts. I’ve just never discussed the topic before. Rare instances do I even think of it, but it happens.

I’m a first generation Conceal Carry :sweat_smile::rofl::joy::joy:.

2 Likes

Just realized I probably should have posted this in a different place :grimacing:

2 Likes

Place seems to be OK… Let see what @Dawn decides.

2 Likes

Same here, first generation, second year :laughing:

2 Likes

Been carrying for over ten years, I used to worry about close encounters. I’ve learned that the world around me is quite clueless. So tell me how does a hard object in your pocket or on your hip (that’s dry humor) alert someone that it’s a firearm? I used to carry a Buck 110 knife on my hip for 30+ years, both openly and then concealed. As far as anyone is concerned it’s your phone or IFAK.
Don’t ever give them a reason to think otherwise. In other words don’t flinch when the crowd or the person in the isle gets too close. I carry all around 24/7 I’ve had some touchy-feely situations, like hugs from strangers, bumps and grinds at Best Buy, Home Depot, outdoor art and craft fairs. I consider carrying a firearm as normal as wearing underwear. No one knows you’re carrying except me, now!
Be completely aware of the condition and the condition of your firearm, keep it cleaned and well maintained and you should have no problems.
Carry on!

3 Likes

I had an incident a while carrying concealed a couple years back that led to a couple of very good business opportunities. I was a a formal meet and greet type business function, suit, tie wingtips the works. I was doing my best to be polite, pleasant and trying very hard to relax in a social setting. I struck up a conversation with a fella that did a lot of major construction work and we were discussing the day to day madness of project management. It so happened that we were kind of close to a wall as we were talking we were engaged by some other folks and he and I ended up side by side facing into the room.

All of the sudden and at the same time he says “Hey there’s someone I want to introduce you to.” as he put his right hand on my right hip to get me going that direction. Just a friendly gesture but his hand landed right on top of my 1911 and my elbow slammed down on his hand before I even realized I moved. He jerked his hand back and I’m thinking “Oh crap I’m done.” He looks me up and down, nods his head and says “Impressive.” Just like nothing happened he takes me over and introduces me to the CIO of a fortune 100 company that we ended up doing a lot of work for there after. The fella that did the introducing and I have gone on to have some pretty good days shooting various platforms. Obviously it could have gone 180* the other direction.

The incident did cause me to take my suits back to my tailor and I had some additional padding installed on the right AND left side so it hung straight and the purchase of an Otter Box for my cell phone which in dress situations rides right in front of my EDC now to “cover” casual gestures. I can now flip back my jacket and say “Oh, it’s my phone”

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes

Proper belt, proper clothes, proper holster. The belt must support the weapon in its place. The clothes should well fitting. The holster should have a trigger cover to prevent accidental firing. The gun should stay in the holster while you want it to be in the holster and be able to draw the weapon successfully without catching anything. You do what you can, the best you can. Your gun is always loaded and should be treated as such. A big responsibility to take on but should be taken seriously.

2 Likes