High burglary rates in gun control countries

Could religion have played a role in keeping keep the burglary rate low in the United States?

In other countries, the burglary rate can be higher.

In most western countries, people don’t go to church etc.

1 Like

I don’t know, man… I’ve been to a few countries (both Western and Far East), and in many of them where the general populace was considered religious the crime (let’s say against most universal religious teachings) was pretty high. IMO, reduction in crime might be better attributable to the potential to get caught and face some form of punishment, as well as things like the quality of life of poverty stricken individuals.

3 Likes

Welcome to the family and hope you stay with us for a while and God bless you.

Land and different beliefs are what cause most conflict. I think that we’d all be better off without any deities. One of the pluses about the young ones is that they seem to have a much better hold on reality in that regard.

4 Likes

I don’t think that religion is a cause for crime.

3 Likes

There is no use in comparing two countries in my opinion. Factors that contribute to crime vary so much, that drawing conclusions is not scientific.

2 Likes

Burglary rates might be higher in other gun control countries not only because of you know, but because the people are not religious. Most of U.S. is religious about 50% go to church, while 30% go to church in Canada.

1 Like

I’m wondering if there truly is a reduction in crime or of the goalposts are being moved by redefining what is considered a crime.

I’ve noticed near where I live an uptick in people breaking into cars on people’s driveways at night. I’ve also heard, but not confirmed that in a neighboring county, if noone gets hurt and if the theft is under a certain value, the county won’t file charges.

Meanwhile, my county wants to end cash bail and replace it with specially tailored programs to encourage people to show up for trial and end mandatory minimum sentences for punishment tailored to then criminals situation and needs.

2 Likes

Some of the countries I’ve been to, the authorities are either lacking (including their statistical analysis of such crime) or sometimes having questions about police corruption.

Recently, for example, a businessman was traveling in one country, was kidnapped by police and hostaged in the police headquarters in the country’s capital city, was accidentally killed while they were trying to extort him, and then they pretended he was still alive so they could extort his wife. Similarly, there are many instances of theft where it simply goes unreported because it’s a family member, its a bad area where reporting will do nothing, or it’s considered “normal” for the area and the victim “should have known better.” When looking at statistics from other countries (but even sometimes in the US) on crimes, both inaccurate statistics and civilian sentiment towards the police cause crime causation hyptheses to be invalid, IMO.

A simple example of inaccurate statistics, although not related to burglary, would be in MN where it is illegal to have certain types of sex (or at least the last time I heard about it)… one type starts with an “o” and the other with an “a.” I doubt accurate statistics related to the “crime rate” would include many of these actual acts that are considered illegal.

1 Like

Does anybody have actual stats on how these other countries compare to the United States? Violent crime with a weapon either what’s legally left in the firearm department or other weapon?

1 Like

Most people that actually go to Church and practice their Religion tend to be more Law Abiding than those that don’t blieve in God or any Higher Power.

1 Like

That might be why there are higher burglaries in Canada

1 Like