HI all I'm new to this & Guns

Welcome to the community, @Richard384 . Don’t be afraid to ask questions, no matter how basic. We all were newbies at one time.

Welcome to the community @Richard384 , hope you enjoy your stay!

Marrio,

Welcome to the community. Congratulations on your first firearm. We have awesome people in the USCCA community. There is a world of knowledge here. If you have questions, ask! No question is a stupid question, only the question not asked is stupid. My advise to you if I may… SAFETY FIRST! Educate yourself on your Firearm and Gun Safety, Get trained, Practice always and frequently, always be alert and pay attention to your surroundings. Welcome aboard!

Good Luck!
Vince from Las Vegas, Nevada

2 Likes

Welcome, Richard!
I’d recommend you do all the training available on the site here–it’s a great resource.
TRAIN, TRAIN, TRAIN.

1 Like

FINNALY. SOMEONE older than me! LOL NOT laughing at you Richard because I’m myself 70 and everywhere I go I look around to see if I’m the oldest. And usually I AM! hahahaha

I went to bed last night at age 15 and when I woke up this morning and slung my legs outta’ bed and looked in the mirror, I noticed this 70 yo guy starin’ back at me. It goes JUST THAT FAST!

2 Likes

9 Likes

I’m there right now kiddo…right there now… lol

1 Like

Hi Richard, I am from Southern Idaho and yes I carry a few guns when boondocking, one on me at all times and A special 12ga. Shotgun in the trailer for bear deterrent you can never be over prepared now adays. Be safe is my motto!

Great, have no fear, relax and enjoy the experience. I still recall my CCW course and testing when living in TN.
Now in AZ and 81 I love to go out into the desert with my home made targets and shoot till either hand gives out.

I am a one handed shooter.

1 Like

Welcome the USCCA Family. Getting the training is a must do.

Welcome! Read, read and then some more. Watch Youtube videos, Nra, USCCA videos. There are lots out there. Get familar with gun. Dry fire practice at home daily with an unloaded gun, from your holster. Go to the range weekly. Pick one thing to work on rach time. Ammo is precious. Find a good instructor.

Remember when I first got my concealed carry license. Didn’t have any formal training but thought I knew what I was doing. Then I took a class at a place called Front Sight in Nevada about an hour away from Las Vegas. Found out that I really didn’t know anything. Great place to train and now I try to get there a couple of times a year. They’re offering a 4 day defense handgun training for free right now. Just looked on my email and couldn’t find the link, but if interested I can hunt it down and send to you.

Too big to carry and almost armed!

Friends

2 Likes

Another Las Vegan…70 y.o. but armed the last 8 years.

Be sure to download the USCCA App and step through the state reciprocal laws map for each state you’re travelling through.

You might want to get a Utah license at the same time as your NV CCW license. Other than Florida, I believe it gives you the most reciprocal states.

2 Likes

Good point on Utah permit. I did Utah before Illinois complied with court orders and passed a law. I understand Utah went permit less not long ago. Things may be changing!

1 Like

Expect bad guys to close the distance unexpectedly. They want to surprise you, hurt you, and dominate you at close range. Considerable dry practice with your gun can make you so familiar with it that you can operate it without consciously thinking about how to operate it. Shooting at an established range can make you familiar with shooting your gun, but holding your gun out like you are encouraged to do at an established range will make it easy for bad guys to disarm you when they surprise you up close. Read, train, and practice for that up close surprise encounter, and hope it never happens.

2 Likes

Welcome, Richard,
Good to have some young blood coming aboard (I’m 74). Train and train some more. Also, as you travel in your RV, know the laws about carrying in each state you visit, and make sure your gun is secured in a safe and ammo stored locked up elsewhere when you leave your gun in the RV (only when necessary). Don’t drive West, but we up here in Oregon are pretty gun friendly!

1 Like

Welcome aboard Richard,

You think you know nothing now? Wait until you start training and you’ll realize you know even less than you thought you did. And the more you train the less you’ll feel you know… at least for awhile☺️ Just stay after it and you’ll eventually feel your confidence start to build. Realize gun skills are perishable so continually train ( or at least as ammo availability and finances allow) AND always carry your firearm
Stay safe, stay healthy, and shoot straight. :wink:

1 Like

Great to have you @Richard384 . Check out the Protectors Academy in the members section of the USCCA. Great training source. God bless you!

Hi Richard, welcome.
Wanna know the secret to breezing through your CCW live fire test? … Relax! No need to tense up, you got this. Put in some live fire time at your favorite range! Breath control and … front sight, front sight, front sight. Squeeze, don’t jerk, confidence – you can do it!

1 Like