HELP! Overtightened One of the Screws that Keeps the Clip in Place on my Kydex holster

When I changed the clip out to the UltiClip 3, I accidentally over tightened one of the screws. Now, when I try to loosen it, I feel the post turn with the screw. I’d tried using something similar to LockTite, but what I had didn’t set up, even after more than 24 hours. Dorian’s at least going to be coming close to us, so the stores are either out of a lot of stuff, or closed. I’ve tried getting Needlenose pliers on the bit of the post inside the holster, but I can’t keep them on it due to how little there is to grab. I need to be able to get the screw out, since I received my new gun belt from Tactica Defense Fashion, and I want to be able to “test” the belt for myself. Any ideas on what I can use that is most likely somewhere in the house to hold the post in place so I can get the screw out? I’ve thought of trying some superglue or liquid nails (in case mom doesn’t have any super glue), but I’m wary even though it is the screw that’s in the middle hole out of 3. Any thoughts? To limit any confusion, I uploaded pictures of the offender.

1 Like

@HeatherLP At first blush I would leave the thing alone if it is functional until AFTER Dorian passes just in case the removal process takes down your holster. That said the next thing I would try is taking out the other 2 screws and pull the whole thing off with the eustachion still attached assuming it is not shouldered from the other side. If it is shouldered you could get at the eustachion from the other side to hold it still. Last option is to slip something inbetween to lever against the clip and the eustachion while unscrewing it. Hope that helps

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

I have belly bands that I’ve mainly been using, but since I received the gun belt I’d ordered, I want to change the clip out for the O clip so I can use it with my new belt. I’m not sure what you meant when you mentioned the eustachion. I attached pictures to my post so it’ll be more obvious what I’m working with, and which screw is affected.

1 Like

@HeatherLP
Have you tried needle nosed vise grips? They might give you enough resistance to work with the screw, and you would have both hands free. Worst case scenario-drill off the head of the screw. Good Luck!

1 Like

Haven’t tried the vise grip version of the needle nose, since I had issues getting the needle nose to even grab a hold of it to start. The angle’s difficult, and there’s not much for any tool to grab the post inside the holster. Don’t think mom has any needle nosed vise grips, or any vise grips, for that matter.

1 Like

@HeatherLP The eustachion is the metal bit that the screw screws into, you called it a “post”. You may be able to get at it by removing the 2 tension screws and prying the holster wider with say the handle of a hair brush or similar. This may buy you the space you need to get your needle nose onto it.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

I took a good look at your pics, and it looks like the e-whatdoyoucallit-I call them rivet-nuts-has broken away from the backing plate and is rotating with the screw as you try to remove it. I would drill off the screw head take the clip off and try removing the rest with pliers. Kydex is not very strong, so I think this attach point is probably unusable. If you can make do with the other 2 attach points, you should be ok, but IMHO, this one is a goner.

1 Like

I can get the needle-nosed pliers on it, but they slip off quick. It’s a trick to get a hold of it to start with, since it’s thin. I’d need at least 3 hands, 1 to hold the holster at just the right angle, 1 to hold the pliers, and 1 for the screwdriver. The hand holding the pliers would need to almost constantly re-grab the eustachion, judging from what kept happening when I was trying to do it by myself.

1 Like

That is why I was thinking a set of needle-nosed Vise-Grips would help. They would be your ‘third hand’. You can get a pair that will work at Wal-Mart for less than 5 bucks.
Good Luck!

1 Like

Honestly, if you are prepping for Dorian, this is not the time for new. Go with muscle memory over new

1 Like

I’ve used my Kydex, my Hip Hugger Big Shebang, and mom’s Hidden Heat. They’re all “old friends”. I’m just trying to get the Ulticlip off the Kydex so I can swap the clip. I finally have a belt that’ll fit me And the holster, without cramming the holster more into my abdomen than is necessary/comfortable. Mom and I have almost everything ready for Dorian, just a few last things to put in the storage room tomorrow. No Store trips for me, Stores are either gonna be too crowded, low on what’s needed, or closed, at least until well after Dorian goes away, indecisive wench that she is. When I go in the storage room tomorrow, I’ll grab all the pliers mom has. So far, the regular needle nose have been frustrating me. Maybe mom’ll have a pair of either the locking or the angled ones. Mom’s willing to act as my 3rd hand either way.

1 Like

In no way did I mean to sound/or be disrespectful, it’s just change during a stressful time is seldom a good time to make a change.

My advice would still be the same, but maybe not so strenuous now since you have experience in the other carry type. Be safe during during the coming storms.

1 Like