Headlines and News Stories

Or anyone living in a rural area with streams, lakes, creeks, bays, fields, etc.

2 Likes

A worse case scenario would be significant portions of the electric grid going down, either through cyber attack, EMP or the sun sending a larger than normal burp in our direction. Fuel pumps won’t work so tractors, trucks and trains won’t be moving. A lot of people will be very surprised just how quickly the forests and waters will be emptied of food under those conditions. I suspect the majority of elk, deer and free range cattle would be gone in my area in a couple of months if not sooner.

By the way NASA puts the odds of a Carington size solar flare hitting the earth at about 10% over a five year period. Other researches have estimated 20%. I’d be buying a lot of lottery tickets if the odds of winning were that high.

Given current fuel and fertilizer shortages along with drought and heavy storms in the US and in other countries food supplies are going to be stretched further than they have since WW2. I remember reading the stories of food ration cards from those days. Even under this more mild scenario poaching would increase significantly and wild sources of food will be much harder to find.

@Ouade5 , the vast majority of people may not starve here in the US due to this years shortages but a lot more folks will be hungry and very unhappy. Think BLM and Capital gatherings on a much larger scale. Many other places in the world will not be so lucky.

2 Likes

Let them eat cake. :wink:

3 Likes

That is the phrase that keeps popping in my head whenever I hear wealthy people and politicians talking on the news or social media these days!

The disconnect and divide between the wealthy and the rest of us seems to be approaching French Revolution levels.

2 Likes

Another good reason to have weapons in the home. You just never know when a bear is going to jump through a window and start attacking your family!

And now, the homeowners, one of whom is a police chief, is getting death threats because he killed the bear.

Death threats? Really? Stupid people.

5 Likes

I’ve seen this headline multiple times, today. Can I please tell you, as a kid born & raised in Northern Wisconsin, it’s not Abby-Normal for a bear to break into a house. Maybe not a cub, but those timid black bears are curious and they can smell food a long way off.

2 Likes

The “Green Dream” errr Nightmare. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Is that like mostly peaceful protesters? The bear jumped through the window and attacked the woman. It must have been triggered by “mean tweets”. It did not like being yelled at and was going to teach her not to dis her.

Black bears matter.
And yes, as far as bears go, black bears are pretty shy. That doesn’t mean they’re always ready for a belly rub.

1 Like

Yes, I have read that. I just found it amusing that in a story about a bear jumping through a window and attacking a woman that you stated how timid they are. As this story shows, even those can be dangerous.

Well sure, I’m not suggesting that anyone here try to hug a bear cub.

1 Like
2 Likes

1 Like

2 Likes

Transportation Secretary Newman is on it. :face_with_spiral_eyes:
Of all places, the Yellowstone River. :roll_eyes:

Bridge collapse in Montana sends train tankers into Yellowstone River; officials assessing possible hazmat spill

Story by Mary Beth Dickson • 1h ago

[image]

(KSVI/NEXSTAR) – A bridge that crosses Yellowstone River in Montana collapsed overnight, causing portions of a freight train that was traveling over it on Monday morning to derail and crash into the water below.

No crew members were injured, but gates and portions of the river have been closed over concerns of the potential spill of hazardous material, officials in Yellowstone County have confirmed.

Numerous tank cars were partially submerged in the river early Saturday, and railroad crews were at the scene in Stillwater County, near the town of Columbus, about 40 miles (about 64 kilometers) west of Billings. A yellow liquid was pouring out of tank cars, an Associated Press reporter claimed.

Several train cars are immersed in the Yellowstone River after a bridge collapse near Columbus, Montana, on Saturday, June 24, 2023. (AP Photo/Matthew Brown)

The Yellowstone County Sheriff’s Office initially said the damaged tankers were leaking petroleum products. The agency, however, later cited a local news outlet with more “current information” which indicated that none of the eight tankers involved in the derailment contained oil.

The leaking substances were identified as asphalt and another “slow moving” substance which has yet to be determined, according to local fire and disaster officials, according to Stillwater County News.

“There is no immediate threat to Yellowstone County. Precautions are being put in place,” the sheriff’s office said earlier on Saturday morning.

Unconfirmed reports say the bridge has been battered by high water recently, though the reason for its collapse has not been confirmed.

2 Likes

That guy knows as much about transportation as Hunter knows about gas. I mean, he has a degree in history. That’s useful here, right?

3 Likes

The Bridge looks like older riveted construction. There are a lot of them around.

2 Likes