Having a weapon in an apartment in virginia

I recently moved to virginia and im confused on whether i can have my weapon in my apartment or not? if anybody could help please do!

Thanks in advanced

3 Likes

Ummm “Weapon”? Pistol, rifle, shotgun or 240B?

2 Likes

@Triston1. Welcome to the community, stay safe and train hard. :smiley:

4 Likes

Unless you moved to the part of Virginia called Washington DC the answer is yes. That said check your lease for the fine print there may be some prohibition by the landlord or rental agency.

Welcome aboard and welcome to Virginia!!

Cheers,

Craig6

8 Likes

@Triston1 Info from Virginia laws.

POSSESS A HANDGUN ON MY PRIVATE PROPERTY WITHOUT A PERMIT?

Can I possess/carry a handgun in my home without a permit? Yes. A permit is not required for anyone legally entitled to carry a firearm to carry a handgun in a person’s place of abode or the curtilage thereof or in his or her own place of business.

[ Va. Code Ann. § 18.2-308(B), (C) ]

4 Likes

Welcome to the family @Triston1 glad you’re here; and I hope your question was answered!

5 Likes

I live in Arlington, I’m not quite sure if that counts as dc

5 Likes

@BRUCE26 it’s a pistol

4 Likes

OK so Craig6 and my post should answer your question, by law it’s legal and check your lease. :+1: :grinning:

5 Likes

Arlington still counts as Virginia but it may succeed if DC becomes a state.

Cheers,

Craig6

7 Likes

I can’t find anything in my lease, thank you guys very much! @Craig6

5 Likes

Yur very welcome. :+1:

3 Likes

Welcome to the family and god bless you.

2 Likes

Just wanted to share this with some Virginians. Increased gun restrictions emerging in northern Virginia

By Tyler Arnold, The Center Square

September 24, 2020 - 10:00 AM

[](sms:&body=Increased+gun+restrictions+emerging+in+northern+Virginia https://washex.am/2RWaLow)

Get home delivery of the magazine. Subscribe today!

Gun owners are beginning to face heavier restrictions throughout northern Virginia as localities are passing ordinances to prohibit the carrying of weapons on some public property.

Local governing boards in Arlington County, Fairfax County, the city of Alexandria and the city of Falls Church have passed ordinances that prohibit people from carrying weapons in publicly owned buildings, publicly owned parks and at certain events that require a permit. Loudoun County is considering a similar ordinance.

Violations in the four localities will be punishable by a Class 1 misdemeanor when they go into effect. In Virginia, a Class 1 misdemeanor carries penalties of up to a year in prison and a $2,500 fine.

“Ending gun violence is not a simple problem with simple solutions,” Fairfax County Board of Supervisors Chairperson Jeffrey McKay said in a statement. “We must attack this issue from many angles, including widely supported restrictions. Our Board’s decision to ban guns from government property takes us one more step in the right direction.”

Story continues below

Mary Curtius, the communications manager for the Arlington County Board, told The Center Square the ordinance makes the community safer by establishing common sense rules.

“We believe that all who work, do business with or visit county buildings are safer if no one is carrying a gun,” Curtius said. “In order to avoid any misunderstanding, the ordinance goes into effect only after the county posts clear signage at all locations where it applies – within 30 days of adoption of the ordinance.”

The ordinances have received fierce opposition from gun rights groups that believe residents will be less safe when they go into effect.

“When good people are prevented from defending themselves, it allows evil people to carry out their evil deeds,” Erich Pratt, the senior vice president of Gun Owners of America, told The Center Square.

“Consider the tragic story of Kate Nixon, who worked for the city of Virginia Beach and was prohibited from carrying a firearm,” he said. “She had considered taking a gun to work because she was worried that a disgruntled employee might try to harm her fellow workers. But not wanting to break the law and lose her job, Kate left her gun at home. Sadly, she became a victim of a mass shooting.”

Along with putting people in greater danger, Pratt said when gun laws throughout the commonwealth are not uniform, it creates headaches for concealed carriers trying to follow the law.

Pratt encouraged local governments to pass Second Amendment Sanctuary ordinances, rather than stricter gun laws. More than 100 Virginia localities have passed these sanctuary ordinances.

State law used to prohibit local governments from imposing these restrictions on gun owners, but ordinances have begun to pop up after Gov. Ralph Northam signed a bill into law earlier this year that allows localities to impose these restrictions.

1 Like

Let us just say that it is concealed and the only people that know that is the people that you tell

3 Likes

I have a baseball bat and a pet rock in my apartment —

2 Likes

Think you mean secede, as nothing in DC is a success these days :roll_eyes:…13 months later. Posts get old, but never die.

1 Like