Have you ever been asked why do you carry?

The short answer is: I don’t wish to be caught dead without it.

The longer answer is: My wife and I, both in our 70’s, were accosted by two drug addicts in a parking lot at 11:00 pm in Austin, TX. Neither of us had LTC’s at that time. Fortunately, I was able to convince them to leave after a tense 10 minute encounter. Shortly thereafter we both obtained our licenses and do carry.

I have taught at a State University in Texas and always concealed carried during classes, but never told the students to avoid distractions. I have carried in the Texas State Capitol Building, meeting with Representatives, Senators, and Governor, where the 2nd Amendmen is honored.

God bless Texas and America, and long live the Republic.

Peter

11 Likes

@Peter45 Now that you have your LTC that should change to around a second, or a second and a half.
Welcome to the community.

2 Likes

They usually do a quick follow up question of “What are you afraid of, I don’t want to live my life in fear.” At which point I ask if they own a fire extinguisher. When they answer in the affirmative, I ask them why they live in fear or why don’t they leave fires to the professionals who have been trained to handle such situations.

As to “Is it loaded?” Answer”Yes and so is my fire extinguisher.”

12 Likes

I read through some other responses, not to see which ones have that ecumenical pro-2A answer. But more so to see what purpose folks believe in. I’ve been asked why I carry several times whether I’m carrying open or concealed. I have been asked if it was because I’m a Police officer or agent both of which I’m not nor have been. I have even been asked if I really was but couldn’t tell them if I wanted, but being honest I reassured them I’m not that guy. Many times in the interest of their time, I keep It as simple as “I do a lot of training for personal and private security.” Or when time is really short and for a smidge of humor, “Don’t worry ma’am, I’m a trained professional.”
The real answer is more than that. I have had the blessed fortune of travel, and I’ve been to some seriously seedy places, all legally I wouldn’t do otherwise. I have seen people so scared they’d sell out out theiR slow uncle or pain in the butt cousin just to get on in their day. All the time carrying, always carrying and training. Now that I’m retired slouching in my regimine has slowed, but it seems silly to not carry. I saw a guy murdered in WA state once, nothing I could’ve done at the time for me or him or anyone around me. The constant throughout human time is weaponless people will statistically lose every time bad things happen. Good people or bad, little stick or big gun, when bad things happen good people (some bad people too) inherently help, helping is an innate survival construct. Just pray you never help Darwinian theories.

7 Likes

Roger that!

3 Likes

It all depends on who is asking. Assuming this is someone I know, even loosely, and they are asking out of genuine “why” its a teaching/learning opportunity. I answered the below in another thread that has similar points.

I live in a pretty liberal area, so not a ton of people know i carry or even have firearms (I’m sure more than a few can guess). The area is very low crime, and there has never been a mass shooting near me (altho two “big ones” in the state).

My answers around “why do you carry” or “why do you have a gun” usually go something like this (it sounds better if you know me and have heard me speak):

although the risk around here is very low, the risk is never zero . And if I only carried when it’s likely that I need it then I’d never carry, and then when I needed it I probably wouldn’t have it. Because it’s not like I go romping through drug-dealer infested dark alleys where I can say “today I need to carry”. So if I ever need it, I know I have it.

When it comes to mass shootings, by definition they almost always happen where people are not expecting to be attacked. Our churches, places of work, our schools, our theaters. I absolutely will not be one of those people cowering behind a desk waiting to die.

And then I can even give them a very specific personal example. There was a murder, quasi-famous around here because the murderer fled the country and was later extradited from his country back here to stand trial, and of course I have bookmarked the article(s) from appropriate anti-gun friendly news sources. That murder… happened a few blocks from my house. I used to walk my dogs that way, the wife used to jog that way, I’ve driven past it untold times. So I then re-iterate… around here… while the risk is low … the risk is never zero .

5 Likes

They ask an I’ll say , because there are people that are intent on harm , cops are not everywhere. An I proceed to give an impromptu lesson on them. Education on the spot that I know how to use an when.

4 Likes

A few times my friend my answer is always … to protect people that can’t or wont protect themselves I even got a kiss on the the cheek from an ol gal in a electric scooter in wal mart made my day…Tim

4 Likes

I assume you must be in an open carry state because no one knows I have been carrying. I only open carry in uniform back in the day but now strictly concealed for the element of surprise!

3 Likes

I have had exactly the same discussions with persons from other countries on various cruises. Once you explain it to them in a calm, logical manner along with facts and figures, the reaction is generally the same: “Wow, I have never heard that. I understand now.”

3 Likes

I’ve had the same discussion with very anti-2A teachers from our state capitol. They are friends of my moms. She doesn’t discuss what I do with her friends as she knows how they feel and she knows it would cause an issue with them.

I spent a lot of time educating them very calmly about what an AR is, what laws there are about automatic weapons, what a pistol is, what a revolver is, etc.

The best question I heard is why do I need a semi-automatic pistol when I can just get a Glock? That’s when I launched into teaching mode… :innocent:

14 Likes

Here you go @TexasEskimo (sorry, I didn’t check my email after Saturday this weekend. :smiley: )
USCCA Community Cards.pdf (237.9 KB)

4 Likes

At a traffic stop I told the LEO I was carrying when I handed over my DL and CCW. No problems. During the subsequent conversation he asked me the pertinent question. My answer was then and, if I’m asked, still is: “In case I have to shoot someone.” By the way, I seldom have been asked. Very few people know I carry and I keep it that way.

3 Likes

@Dawn

I may print a few of these out.

4 Likes

I sure am brother

1 Like

You know, I think it is Hollywood that is gun-happy, not America. I remember in “Hunt for Red October” when the Russian Captain thinks we’re all cowboys. I now live in a rural part of the People’s Republic of California. There is nothing wrong with being a cowboy or a cowgirl. They are the most honest, courteous people I know.

6 Likes

I have been asked why I carry and I go with the short answer- to even the odds. Is it loaded? It doesn’t function properly if it’s not :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My Response, to “Why do I Carry”?

I’m a 67 Year Old Retiree!
I refuse to be Car Jacked!
I refuse to be an Easy Mark for Criminals.
I am not a Hard-Ass! Just a Retired Guy that wants to be secure in my Environment.
My Answer is Yes, It’s loaded!
Yes, There is a Round in the chamber!
The main 4 Rules apply 24/7.

1. Always Treat any Gun as Loaded.
  2. Never Point it at anything or anyone unless it’s to Defend yourself.
  3. Always treat your Firearm, as the final solution to protect yourself.
  4. Never Ever, Openly Discuss your CCW casually with the General Public. These days, Gun Ownership is Considered Tabu! Know who is Pro-2A like minded.
    Digression is the better part of valor!

My point, is be cool! The 2A is our Right as Americans! This is, my advise to deal with the General Public. Stay out of Gun Debates with Liberals! They, Really don’t Respect your Choices!

5 Likes

Yes all the time, mostly from my wife. Doesn’t quite understand why I keep it on my hip always, even at home. Told her it takes some getting used to the feel of it, and trying to make it eventually feel like a part of me. Honestly still go places sometimes, and feel almost like I’m doing something wrong. But it’s getting better. An extension of me, it will be eventually.

3 Likes

I like that, I haven’t really been asked yet, I try to conceal it well. So much that it’s affecting my choices of clothes I can wear now. Do you open Carry? I’m about to the point where I’ll just deal with a profile through the clothes. That kind of takes away the element of surprise in a situation, but sure would be easier to dress. What are your thoughts on that?

2 Likes