Hammer-fired vs. Striker-fired

I have 2 DA/SA pistols to make measurements on. I just tested a Baretta PX4 in SA - the trigger pull was consistently 5 pounds on my fish scale. My FNP measures the same. Not trying to muddy the water, but all 3 of my 1911s consistently measure 5 pounds +/- 1/2 on the same scale.

Trigger pull length on the Baretta in SA is ~5/8". I did not measure the FN as it is loaded in a bedside safe, but I know it has as long if not longer length of trigger pull as the Baretta.

You are 100% correct about the SAOs having significantly less trigger pull length.

I donā€™t own a striker fire pistol, so donā€™t know how long the length of trigger pull is on any of them.

FN specifies the current FNX series to have 3.96 to 5.06 pound trigger pull in SA ( FNXā„¢-9 | FNĀ® (fnamerica.com) )

Glock specifies the 19 Gen 5 at 26 N (4.45 pounds) GLOCK Inc. | GLOCK Pistols | Buy Guns Online

I understand. I am not picking on you, I am trying to understand why holstering a striker fire is perceived as safer than holstering a DA/SA with the hammer cocked and safety OFF. I appreciate your answer regarding the short trigger pull length for SAO.

1 Like

Factory specifications for trigger pull weight always interest meā€¦every single one Iā€™ve measured as come out lighter than advertised. Well, okayā€¦Glock and FN come out at or above.

And the pull length is as noted a big difference. The striker triggers have a bit of a takeup on their first pull (or every pull if you do trigger recovery vs trigger reset) before getting to ā€˜the wallā€™ where the resistance picks upā€¦SA tend to be a length of travel more akin to the reset only distance on a striker.

I think the design aspect of the DA/SA itself shows that it is not considered safe in DA.

Who, be that manufacturer or reputable trainer/instructor/organization, will tell people to holster/carry/draw their DA/SA w/manual safety pistol, safety off, in SA?

1 Like

Iā€™m a relatively new gun owner, and my first priority is not to shoot an innocent person or myself so I like seeing the hammer down, decocked. Also that first long da pull prevents newbies from getting startled and firing when they donā€™t mean to.

1 Like

When you say ā€œfirstā€ long DA pull, that to me implies DA/SA, which means there is a short light SA after that.

Do people never get startled after having fired that first shot?

If we are worried about an ND due to trigger finger discipline and being startled with a shorter or lighter trigger, why are we recommending the shortest and lightest trigger pull out there with that SA?

2 Likes

Well, if Iā€™m startled firing on the first and subsequent shots, I would just give up on owning a gun altogether, lol.

1 Like

You donā€™t think you, or anybody else worthy of owning a gun, could be startled after having fired a shot?

Regardless of that, I donā€™t really buy the pretext of ā€œneed a heavy trigger to compensate for violating rule #3ā€ logic that put us on this road anyway.

Not that a SA trigger is heavy or long or accomplishes that anyway, IMO

3 Likes

I also like hammer fired my kimber 1911 pistol is my favorite not sure what it is about it but I just like hammer fired pistols

2 Likes
2 Likes

I was watching a True Story detective show the other day. A competition shooter loaned his tweaked out competition grade pistol to a first time shooter at a range. Long story short, there were many safety failure issues with the range and with a newbie using a tweaked out gun, when he fired first round he accidentally fired a second during the recoil without knowing it due to extremely light SA trigger pull killing a teenager located in a building behind the berm. The route the bullet took was amazing. It was the ultimate 1 in a 1M shot.

1 Like

That also brings up another thread here, Would you loan your gun to another person?

2 Likes

What gun, what circumstance, what other person?

What does loan mean? To use at the range with you as in the story? I have, as recently as a couple weeks ago, so my answer is a definite yes, I might.

3 Likes

Sometimes itā€™s about the classic look. All 1911s look perfect as a semi auto pistol. You will never find anything even close to it. Perhaps 2011ā€¦ but it still can be considered as the same family.

Some shooters prefer hammer over striker because of the thumb being used as a safety point during holstering.

Whatever is your reasonā€¦ you are on the right side of this threadā€¦ :wink: :joy:

3 Likes

Hop on over to that thread and read my friend. I only referenced for your enjoyment.

1 Like

I donā€™t really have a preference. I shoot DA revolvers a LOT, and not just slow fire. Biggest problem with hammer fired carry guns is the small selection in the subcompact range. Iā€™ve been thinking about upgrading from the LC9s in this category, and thereā€™s not a hammer fired option in my top 5. I wish there were, but I donā€™t think the market would support it.

4 Likes

Sig P250 compact?

2 Likes

Going to get my new Canik TP9 out this afternoon to shoot it for the first time. Iā€™ve been having a devil of a time getting the red dot to mounted and finally just put the iron back on. Looking forward to this afternoon.

1 Like

I prefer striker fired.

I like the consistency of the trigger, no cringy decocker / manual safety. I had a S&W4006, hated that gun, only pistol I ever sold.

Theyā€™re okay for a range gun, but not EDC for me. My first rule of EDC: In the hand, ready to runā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m considering options in the p365, Shield, LC9S, Hellcat, etc. weight class. I have a Springfield XDe 3.3 9mm, and it is a great gun, despite looking like someone took a compact pistol and flattened it to 0.9ā€ width in a hydraulic press. Itā€™s just too big and heavy for what it is. Apparently they designed it for 45acp and adapted it for 9. I think in the compact class I can still just carry the XDe or my M&P compact (1.0).

3 Likes

Well, with sustained winds currently at 15-20 mph, looks like today out. Rain starts in an hour or so.

1 Like

Thatā€™s the perfect weather for hammer fired handgun :joy:

4 Likes