Had a Dynamic Critical Incident, had to discharge firearm!

I’m going to make a different observation. Considering the diameter of a snake, good shot. :wink:

7 Likes

I’d hope it was a good shot with cci rounds. A tiny shotgun round with that much spread you would be a terrible shooter to miss

2 Likes

You have to get within about 2-3 feet for they are non effective. They have them for .22lr as well and I have never used those but there can’t be many pellets in those.

The other thing I was thinking about this morning, when you see folks in fire fights on TV in and out of buildings, there is no way their hearing can’t be affected! Especially when they get in a back and forth with multiple rounds! Of course when they get punched or kicked in the face, their is never swelling or even a bruise.

Then, the other thing I thought of, not so much these days with military ear protection but back in WWI,WWII,Korea,VN. Thank you vets! Thanks for your service!

8 Likes

I grew up in a house my Dad built, we moved in when I was 5. My Mom loved color, so her bathroom was pink: pink tub, pink toilet, pink vanity sink, and pink tile. To go with all that color she had bright towels and wash clothes. My Mom ran a tight ship and at sunrise one morning she was annoyed that one of us kids had left an orange wash cloth lying on the sink. She went to grab the wash cloth and it was an orange rat snake! She woke the whole house up running out of the bathroom screaming bloody murder. On the other end of things she scared the snake and it went into one of the sink overflow holes and wrapped up inside the overflow cavity.

If we waited long enough the snake would poke its head out of one of the overflow holes, but not far enough out that my Dad could grab it before it pulled back into the overflow cavity. My Dad came up with a plan to get the snake out of there that included me – nothing more exciting than helping your Dad catch a snake. Dad put a gantlet welding glove on one hand to grab the snake with. I was given an empty soup can with a little bit of gasoline in it and a funnel with a hose on it. My job was to pour a little bit of gas into one of the overflow holes forcing the snake out the other one. Man did it ever work! That snake came out so fast it went right thru my Dad’s hand before he could close down on it! 

Of course now we have my Dad and me in the bathroom with a pissed off snake, and my Mom and two sisters pushing over each other in the hallway. To say the least, it was a pretty crazy circus! I was honestly surprised at how big the snake was and still don’t understand how it was able to get thru that hole, much less wrap up inside the sink, but it did!

I’ll save the snake in my in-law’s toilet for another time …

11 Likes

So I think if indoors there is a firefight then yes there is the probability of going deaf, at least a permanent case of severe tinittus. But if it’s just a single round you’d be pretty ok. Yes there would be hearing damage but I know a few oldies from WWII and Vietnam who have only slight hearing loss.

Now I’m already hard of hearing and I’ve only ever fired weapons while wearing hearing protection, but I’m not willing to find out unless the need arises. If that time ever comes and going deaf is a side affect of myself and loved ones being able to live another day from having to defend ourselves than so be it. I’d rather be deaf than dead.

5 Likes

Picture me squatting on my desk chair cause I don’t want my feet on the ground right now…

I did once get a call while I was at the car dealer getting a free oil change. My daughter was literally screaming on the phone and I couldn’t get her to calm down enough to understand her. (Middle of summer, kids were early teens.) So I hung up on my daughter and called one of my sons and asked what was going on. There was a snake in the house outside my daughters room.

I told them if they didn’t get it out of the house by the time I was home there would be hell to pay. I don’t know how my daughter slept in her room that night, but she did.

6 Likes

Gary, we have to hear the snake in the toilet…post under funny stories!!! Dad and the snake was hilarious and enjoyed it!!!

3 Likes

Fiz,
you are right about all the gun fights on tv, everyone can hear clearly!!!

2 Likes

Since I hate snakes, I had an encounter and posted the story under humorous stories, check it out…

3 Likes

If you want to see a big guy run and scream like a little girl, show me a snake. That being said, I believe you were under gunned. 12 ga. Was what I was thinking. Pretty handy I could repair the floor.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

I know this will sound like an over reaction, but I have a pair of noise cancelling ear buds that I carry around on my neck all the time now.

It started from conversations here about how loud shots inside closed spaces are. So I said to myself. “Self that sounds like something you should add to your EDC, some hearing protection”.

So self did. I carry the noise cancelling ones the most because they look normal but I had a custom black set made up that I carry when I know I’m going to be shooting

4 Likes

Humm, that’s cool.
Similar to that, on all our Mules we have attached to the underside of each roof a scoped Ruger 10/22 and a set of headphones. Along with this, in the trucks are an AR and tractors a bolt .223 and both have a set of headphones. I still never thought I’d need a set inside a house.

The most common need for headphone use are Armadillo, Racoons, Hogs, Rattle Snakes, and Coyote.

4 Likes

I live in a suburb of Birmingham, Al. Since Corvid 19, I have seen a raccoon, a possum, a boar, and someone saw a bear about a mile from my house. The boar and evidently there are a bunch of them have been going around tearing up people’s yards and gardens there’s been some talk about bounties on wild hogs.

4 Likes

Boars/Hogs are super destructive. They absolutely can destroy someones yard, overnight! So you’ve got evidence of them in a suburban neighborhood? I remember reading about a lady, I think it was in the Dallas area, who got out of her car to go into the house in a neighborhood and there were sleeping hogs in her front yard that she didn’t see. They attacked her and killed her!

6 Likes

Yeah, it’s been crazy. The bear was the one that got me weirded out. I mean with my history of gunning down poor BooBoo the man eating Griz err, lost milk cow Bessie

2 Likes

Do you think it was a true story on the bear?

1 Like

Yes, they took a picture of it next to a street sign. Posted to our neighborhood app. My wife has it and showed me. The town I live in was actually all owned by one family and they sold half to make the town. The rest is about 5,000 acres of woods twisting around and about.

3 Likes

I can tell you all from experience that lighting off a belt fed weapon inside a room will cause some serious issues to your hearing even if auditory occlusion occurs (ie: your A$$h@!& slams shut around your neck). I have had no ill effects from a single round of hunting ammo during buck fever but my hearing is such that it may not have made a difference. I take my hearing aids out every night and they are on my night stand but I have a pair of Peltor Tac Pro Electonic’s on my home D gun. The hearing aids take 30 seconds to install the Peltor’s less than 5 to install and turn on. It improves my hearing in general and God for bid I have to shoot will help.

Cheers,

Craig6

7 Likes

While in college in CA I was renting a room from someone a few miles from school. One day the neighbor lady came over, freaking out over a snake that had entered her child’s bedroom. So I took a length of dowel rod that was used to lock the sliding glass door, and which had a screw eye on the end, and I tied a length of parachute cord to it in such a way as to make a loop I could draw tight. The snake was a small rattler, and quick, but I managed to corner it and get the loop over its head. Drawing it tight I took the snake outside and cut off its head with my sword, burying the head (knowing it could still give a venomous bite even dead). 'Twas an exciting day for all!

5 Likes

You end up shooting another cow in disguise and the authorities are going to have some questions for you. :thinking:

2 Likes