Gun Magnets for Cars

What are folks thoughts about Gun Magnets for Cars usually adhered or screwed to console. If I used one, of course I would use a trigger block or trigger guard holster. Thoughts on safety and usefulness? Anyone use one regularly?

3 Likes

I want to hear about this too. I currently have a kydex holster mounted in my glovebox. It keeps the weapon concealed and safe if I need to leave it in the car. But the magnets interest me.

4 Likes

Seems convenient. I’ve had bad luck with sticking thing to car surfaces. If I were to do this mount it would be screwed.

2 Likes

I’m wary of these because the forces that can occur in a car accident can be extreme. What’s the force rating on the one you’re looking at? Many are rated at 45 lbs or so, some as high as 70. Lbs.
Acceleration during an accident will easily exceed 45 lbs even in lower speed accidents, causing your firearm to get loose and go wherever momentum takes it.

here’s a link to a force calculator:
https://www.omnicalculator.com/physics/car-crash-force

Here’s an example:
car speed: 30mph
weight of loaded firearm: 2.5 lbs
kinetic energy of the firearm in motion at 30mph: 75 ft-lbs
force of the impact on your firearm: 573 lbf (pounds of force)

I’m not a physicist, but I’m thinking a 45 lb magnetic hold of the holster on the gun is not keeping your firearm where you put it in a 30mph crash… its going to be on a solo flight inside your car cabin. NOT something I’m willing to risk.

If someone on here has specific experiences or can confirm my calculations please do if I’m off here.

I think I’d be fine with magnets for under a desk or other stationary objects, but not for moving ones.

6 Likes

Finally a use for Serpa.

2 Likes

I use a very powerful magnet to hold my gun safe to the front of my drivers seat. It came out of a specialty electric motor used to rotate a gantry (think MRI sized ring weighing over 1500 lbs). I only use the safe for securing my weapon while at work but the magnet is strong enough to make me use both hands to take a RI .45 out of the safe.

The safe is also secured with a hardened cable to the drivers seat frame. The magnet is to keep the safe in place. It is attached to the back of the safe and the seat frame. I am not the engineer @zee is but if I am in an accident that will jar this magnet loose I will have other major problems to worry about other than my safe moving. It takes extreme effort with a pry bar to get the safe to move from its location and even then is limited by the cable (unless opened and cable detached).

I have another one of these magnets mounted under a desk in my house. I had to put a barrier material on the magnet to be able to efficiently remove a Glock 22 from its resting place with out a great amount of effort.

3 Likes

That’s more in the weight class I’d be comfortable with… anything I can use one hand to remove a firearm from… yeah, not in my car.

2 Likes

I’m no physicist, but I would be concerned that a magnet powerful enough to keep a gun secured in an accident might affect the car’s electronics, the cards in my wallet, my phone, or even my watch.

2 Likes

I have had it in the car for over 6 months and have not seen any of those types of issues. If it was mounted in a different location than what I have it (or I had a much newer vehicle) it is perhaps possible.

4 Likes

@Sully_LST I have a blackhawk serpa mounted with screws to my glove box. And I would be concerned with a truly heavy magnet attached under my dash as @OldGnome and @DBrogue have discussed and the effect it could have on electronics.
And @Zee’s force calculations are assuming a single car against a stationary object. If you are dealing with a head on, those forces are presumably doubled, assuming impact at the same speed and if they are angled, the calculations are much more difficult having to deal with the DeltaV and rotational forces. More math than I am qualified to do and hire experts for.

2 Likes

Well again mone is not under the dash near electronics other than what is on the safe and it has not do e any damage to that

3 Likes

@Zee Excellent points!

2 Likes

They are very handy and useful if you dont mind having an exposed trigger, and not worried about the thing becoming a projectile in a wreck. Works well if you have a rotation of multiple guns. I’ve used one regularly now for 7+ months. No problems yet.

1 Like

This is what I have for my car. There’s no screw holes. It covers the trigger. And you can get a thumb release add-on that locks the gun in place. You can also easily adjust the cant of the gun.

Also when I’m not using the holster i can take it off and store it in my center console leaving only the soft part of the Velcro pad.

1 Like

Have been for quite some time. Easy access to firearm and two extra magazines. No problems at all. I practice extreme defensive driving in large empty parking lots (yes I have to buy new tires every year) using cones, nothing even shifts. Just don’t buy the cheap ones.

1 Like

My car holster, Jotto locking holster:

5 Likes

Is that how you lock it in your truck? I’m getting to the question of do you leave the gun visable to people looking in the window?

1 Like

@Brian1 the hasp that’s forward in that photo locks back over the slide. The holster is screwed into the floor of my truck (or can be riveted there). Once locked I toss a black fuzzy lap blanket over it.

4 Likes

I have one (2 actually) mounted horizontally. As zee points out the forces associated with an accident or a pothole can jar your firearm loose. I really just use mine to hold my spare magazines and it works great for that. I also stick my firearm on it when I’m at the ATM.

1 Like

What brand? Mine dont work that well.

1 Like