green deal my A$$

4 Likes

I work in the mining industry, I’ve been through the permitting process for mines and power plants. You can’t even imagine the tactics the environmentalists use.
Here’s one, in Arkansas, after years of hassle the power plant got a permit to be built and construction was started. The environmentalist were furious so they filed yet another law suit. Basically what they said was, The power transmission lines give the predatory birds an unfair advantage because they were above the trees.

Litigation[edit]

Though first proposed in 2006, lawsuits aiming to protect the environment surrounding the project’s proposed site delayed its groundbreaking. Plaintiffs cited potential damage to the area’s fish, wildlife, grasslands, and cypress and hardwood groves.[4]

As part of a settlement reached in December 2011 with the Sierra Club, the National Audubon Society, Audubon Arkansas and the Hempstead County Hunting Club, American Electric Power/SWEPCO agreed to close one of the 528-megawatt generating units at its J. Robert Welsh Power Plant in Texas by the end of 2016 and purchase 400 megawatts of renewable energy capacity by the end of 2014.[5]

The settlement also required the company to contribute $8 million to The Nature Conservancy, $2 million to the Arkansas Community Foundation, and reimburse $2 million in legal fees.[6] American Electric Power/SWEPCO agreed to never install additional generating units at the plant or build another coal-fired facility within 30 miles.

SWEPCO announced in January 2012 it had reached 20-year agreements to purchase 359 megawatts of wind power from sources in Oklahoma, Texas, and Kansas, more than quadrupling its wind power portfolio.[7] The Oklahoma Municipal Power Authority, 7 percent owner of the Turk plant, entered a 25-year agreement in 2012 to purchase 49 megawatts of wind power capacity.[8]

9 Likes

And all those environmental concessions and plant closures come at a cost of significant higher retail electric costs. Think of it as an environmental tax you pay each month in your electric bill. It is a tax enacted by unelected administrative agencies (e.g., the state PUC that mandates compliance with various environmental concerns) and reviewed and approved by unaccountable judges who rule on challenges to the administrative agency rulings.

4 Likes

8 Likes

“Green “Deal” my A$$”

That’s exactly what’s going on.

In the old days, this was called “Getting the Shaft”.

3 Likes