Going to Active Shooter Training at church this evening

This time it’s being put on by the PD.
I’m hoping it will be worth attending.
Two years ago the training given was less than worthless.
Evacuate people as quickly as possible That’s all.
We’ve got slow moving seniors with walkers
Sitting ducks.
Worthless
Maybe this time the training will actually be useful.

7 Likes

There are recent times the Police just stood by out side while people were being wounded and killed inside,we had a recent in Texas where that happened!

3 Likes

Local PD is giving a similar training next month.
I’m planning to leave my CCW locked in the car.
Only the pastor and an elder are known to carry.
It would be an interesting day.

2 Likes

I found it pretty good for an eight hour course condensed into a one hour presentation.
Of course I would have preferred the eight hour course.
What was interesting was that CCW holders were encouraged to carry in church provided they get some realistic training on moving targets.
Maybe the eight hour course provides some direction on where that training is available in my town.
Anyway I’m glad I attended. The instructors were officers from the DA’s Office.
We also learned that Gov. Newsom wants to make all churches in CA gun free zones, which will prohibit CCW holders from carrying

4 Likes

here in Michigan Churches are gun free zones except for the security team
last Sunday we had an incident with a college student
he was late and hurried into the service with a large back pack
triggered one of our team members and gave pursuit
the member radioed me in the service
spotted him and watched him closely to see his demeaner with others
pointed him out to one of the pastors and he cleared him
he is a ROTC student at Michigan Tech
had a quick meeting with the team reassuring them on their actions and getting them settled down.

Mike

2 Likes

Now, that would be an interesting development.

1 Like

I believe the technical legal term is “fish in a barrel.”

4 Likes

A number of states have made churches gun-free for years. Given the state of (anti) gun laws in the PRCal, I am surprised that is not the current law.

2 Likes

https://le.utah.gov/xcode/Title76/Chapter10/76-10-S530.html?v=C76-10-S530_1800010118000101

I know the Mormon Church has said their church houses are Gun Free Zones but I know for a fact enforcement is passive at best.
And even if you Do Violate this law:
(6) A violation of this section is an infraction.

2 Likes

That, for me personally, is why I don’t let other people know I’m carrying. Only my wife and kids are aware of it.
Concealed is concealed.

6 Likes

I have brought up armed security to the priest and they don’t seem to believe it. The church has a school which complicates things. Maybe I can talk to the police chief at a city council meeting. An active shooter drill by the police might convince them.

1 Like

That’s great that you all had recent Active Shooter Training @John292. We will be having one at my church on the 25th of this month, and I am looking forward to it.

2 Likes

For those who have the interest and have the time to sit through it, I found this to be very enlightening. There are nine videos in this playlist. I believe the next one starts shortly after the previous video finishes.

3 Likes

The speaker is Ed Monk, retired US Army officer, experienced high school teacher, and police officer. He is a national level expert on the topic of active shooter intervention, the only one to address what it takes to stop an active shooter event in progress, minimizing number of casualties. Almost all others in this arena look at prevention or aftermath. Ed is currently traveling nationwide giving a variety of presentations on the subject.
You can follow him on his company’s site, Last Resort Firearms Training.
Find his events on Eventbrite.com searching for Ed Monk.
He will have three classes in Nashville on Jan 27 & 28.

2 Likes

On October 13th my church Safety/Security team had a scenario based training at the church. We had approximately 50 people there including security volunteers, ushers, several pastors and we also have members of local LE that were present. Mistakes were made but this is the place to make them. Afterwards we hung out and critiqued the training scenarios and learned a lot.

3 Likes

Doug48
thank you for posting the training

Mike

3 Likes

So, I’m supposed to let LE know during “official interaction” (not when I bump into one of them at a donut shop) that I’m a CCW permit holder, whether I’m carrying or not.

What if during church safety training, the officer asks, “if you have a CCW permit, please raise your hand.”
I’m not saying it would happen.

If not asked, am I still required to inform the officer that I have a permit?

I’m not ready to volunteer to be part of our safety team and I carry only for my family’s sake.

2 Likes