Glock 17 vs Glock 43

@Forensic_Wow ,

Your grip does not look bad at all according to the photos. The webbing of your hand is high up into the tang and beaver tail. Don’t change the grip and next time you go to the range take your time and shoot. Focus on your front sight and just take your time and don’t over grip the gun. Relax and breathe and a smooth trigger pull. You can do it, I guarantee it.

2 Likes

It may be that the length of pull on your 43 fits your hand better than the 17. It sounds crazy sometimes, but your trigger finger causes most of the shots off target. I would try to focus on your trigger press and also practice a lot of dry fire training with your 17. That should help a lot.

I would also ask, are you looking for marksmanship type accuracy, or are you looking for defensive hits for carrying/home defense?

3 Likes

I’m looking for defensive hits in a home defense setting cause this is my home defense gun.

4 Likes

Ok, awesome. Since it is a home defense gun, I would not be too concern about not being as accurate YET. Keep practicing and getting used to the longer sight radius that you have with the Glock 17. Have you checked out any of the drills that we have on our website to use at the range?

3 Likes

I would honestly like to get a new range report from you now that you swapped out the backstrap/grip panel on the G17.

Please keep us posted.

4 Likes

I don’t have money to go to the range or get ammo yet. I will update when I go to the range.

4 Likes

Dry fire is free and many instructors recommend that it should be about 80% of your trigger time. Add in one of those firing pin activated barrel lasers for $40 or so and you can get some pretty good feedback on how changes in your grip and trigger pull will affect your accuracy.

5 Likes

I’ll bet one of my full-size 1911Baer’s that a methodical study of you and others on your 17 and your 43 would strongly suggest that the difference is the result of something that you’re doing when aiming and firing; that your guns are innocent. But another aspect is a question of how accurate do you need to be inside the case law preference of 21 feet? Virtually all DGU’s are within the range of 3 to 6 feet, if I correctly recall the FBI data and my POST training (sheriff’s armed posse, tactical medic, POST curriculum limited to use of force - joint locks to firearms). Yet another aspect: how accurate will you be while handling the adrenaline dump provoked by the fear of your imminent annihilation conveyed to you by your SMS. Train, practice, train and repeat. And then find a training facility offering a law-enforcement-quality scenario simulator.

1 Like

Always carry the gun that you are most efficient with. Opinions don’t matter. What does matter is what gun is best for you.
My concealed carry is a Glock 27. I am very comfortable with both the way I can shoot it and the comfort of the carry.
The popular Gun today is the 9mm. I carry and own the weapon that I know will be effective for me in the case I ever have to use it.
The best gun is the one you chose.
My advice is work with one gun and be elite with it. Drawing, dropping the magazine and quickly reloading the weapon. I practice shooting a 3 burst when drawing. The first shot at the hip. the second at the navel, and the third at the arm extension.
In the case you to have to use your weapon for protection, the extended arm aim will most likely get you killed.
Range shooting is fun but training with your weapon is mandatory.

1 Like