Gifting the new Hellcat... How?

Hi, So my husband just bought me the very sought after Hellcat as a surprise gift. My question is, can anyone tell me how I/we go about getting it transferred out of his name and into mine as it will now become my CC? I have looked on line and searched other pages but I keep running into dead ends. Any help that you can lend would be appreciated. TIA

1 Like

Welcome aboard!!

In reality there is no need to transfer it from your husband to you unless you REALLY feel strongly about a paper trail or you live in one of the very few cities that require essential registration of firearms. Not a lawyer, but property when purchased while married becomes “our” property. It will really come down to state law and possibly local ordinances. Where do you live?

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

Welcome @Jface82

A lot is going to depend on what state you are in. I would imagine the retailer where he bought it or an FFL in your state could let you know what the legal requirements are.

PERSON TO PERSON FIREARMS TRANSFER

430 ILCS 65/3(a-10) - Any person who is not a federally licensed firearm dealer and who desires to transfer or sell a firearm or firearms to any person who is not a federally licensed firearm dealer shall, before selling or transferring the firearms, contact the Department of State Police with the transferee’s or purchaser’s Firearm Owner’s Identification Card number to determine the validity of the transferee’s or purchaser’s Firearm Owner’s Identification Card. This subsection shall not be effective until January 1, 2014. The Department of State Police may adopt rules concerning the implementation of this subsection. The Department of State Police shall provide the seller or transferor an approval number if the purchaser’s Firearm Owner’s Identification Card is valid. Approvals issued by the Department for the purchase of a firearm pursuant to this subsection are valid for 30 days from the date of issue.

View the entire Gun Safety and Responsibility Act on the Illinois General Assembly’s website by clicking here.

Maybe you let him keep it and you buy your own! :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Hi,

Thank you!! Yes everything that we do purchase does become “our” property. And to me a paper trail really doesn’t matter to me. I was more or less just concerned how it would effect my CCP. I life in Utah.

Thanks, Jaymee

Looking at a quick Google (Duck Duck Go) Utah does not require a background check for personal transactions.

So your husband is good to give, gift, sell or otherwise let you have the pistol as long as you are not a prohibited person in which case getting a CCP will be your bigger issue. I also see no instance where you have to declare what firearm you are carrying on your CCP. From what I see you are good to go.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

Hi,

Thank you!!! We live in Utah. I will see where I can look up all the laws here in Utah and see what I can come up with. I was more or less concerned about it interfering with my CCP in anyway is all. I will also call the store where he bought it and see what they have to say.

Let him keep it?? you are silly!!! He knows how bad I’ve wanted this so even if I tried to tell him to keep it, he wouldn’t. :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

@Craig6 ,

Thank you for this!!! That is what I found as well. No, we do NOT have to declare what firearm we carry on our permit. If that were the case, I would be very sad because I do have a couple that I like to switch up with every so often. :wink: :wink:

Also, thank you again for being so helpful and nice. I was nervous to post a question because I didn’t want to get told to do more research or that as a CCP holder I should have already knew the answer" You made making my first “post” a lot less painful.

Congratulations on the new gun! Good luck with your CCP. Make sure to get a proper holster!

2 Likes

Thank you!!! :slightly_smiling_face: :upside_down_face: :blush: I already have my CCP. I have had it since 2015. I’m using the same one that I used with my Ruger sub-compact 9mm. It fits perfect. I didn’t realize that they are pretty much the same size. I’m going to shop around and see what’s out there for these. Do you happen to have have recommendations that you would like to share?

1 Like

@Jface82 We all started someplace, usually at the beginning! :flushed: Gun boards can be tough and a little rough around the edges but on this particular forum you will find most folks very helpful. Ask questions, fill in the blanks or paint a picture, the more info you give on a question the better your responses will be. Don’t forget your experience is just as valuable as mine or anyone else’s because YOU have had the experience. :sunglasses:

I’ve been carrying for 32 years but always a 1911 and always leather so I am as new if not newer than you are to the current crop of holsters and guns. My youngest son has a Hellcat and is struggling to find an IWB holster and I am no help to him. I recently picked up a Glock 43x and am lost on which IWB holster to choose, I’ve never owned a “plastic” pistol before. No thumb strap on a holster, no manual safety on the gun are still freaking me out a bit, that and the whole pull the trigger to get the gun apart thing. Add to it I’m a rifle guy and even us old dogs come hat in hand looking to learn new tricks.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

In Oregon, you can just gift it to family without a background as long as you know that person is not a prohibited person…

@Jface82 I love my tier1 concealed. I carry appendix. It hides really well with a good belt and is quite comfortable. There are lots of great choices out there though. I prefer kydex for a precise fit. Main thing is that the trigger guard is fully covered so that nothing can get in to contact the trigger, it has to remain open without the gun in for safe reupholstering and it has to hold the gun in place when you turn it upside down and give a little shake. Have fun holster shopping!
Oh, by the way, did you get the red dot for your hellcat?