Geomagnetic Storm predicted beginning today

Consider trying to protect delicate electronics.

Your car can be a Farady cage:

6 Likes

It’s been a long time since I have seen the Northern Lights. Maybe they will make it down to Northern AZ tonight?

The biggest threat from this event is likely some temporary power outages and maybe some satellites getting pushed around and disrupted. Especially those in low earth orbit. Could be a problem for my satellite internet:(

Unplugging electronic devices might be a good idea. Pretty sure the energy waves from CMEs are fairly long so small electronic items that are not plugged in should be OK even if things end up worse than expected.

5 Likes

As far south as Louisiana was suggested.

5 Likes

WOW ill have to check the sky tonight
we get some awesome northern lights up here

6 Likes

OK! This is just F**kin’ FREAKY!
Last night I started reading a Linda Howard book
After Sundown. It deals w/ a CME ‘EV’ENT and the Main
characters are in Tennessee. The ‘couple’ are a local
Convivence Store Owner and a Retired Special Forces (Seal? Delta?)
and he was ;Warned’ ahead of time and let his Woman know so she could prep
before the Chaos took the area of 16K people.
For a change he is not a damaged Vet. and she is recovering from a series of family
deaths and an A-hole husband but the Townie’s are looking to her now for Leadership
and he lives up the side of the mountain self Isolated (lucky guy)…
and so anyway…weird what the Universe throws at us amirite?
We are doing just what the characters did and it’s a kick Ron you posted this.
I already had most of this crap so I don’t have to go running around like a maniac.
Water, Generator(s), gas, MRE’s etc etc. disconnect this unplug those, charge everything up.
Craft show cancelled Manana, Severe weather today, tonight and Sunday…

This is going to be a kick if this hits…I’ll talk you in a couple of months or years if this hits! Boo-Ya!

WWG1WGA

5 Likes

This book I just mentioned (above) the sky is ‘Painted’ Reds and Greens because of the flares…
It sounded awesome… (I’m sorry folks but I still can’t believed the timing of the book arrival (2) days ago from Amazon and I didn’t shelve it like a do a lot of the time. AND I was re-reading 'The Presidents Vampire" Trilogy for the second time (and those are page turners !) But I couldn’t sleep again last night and from 2:30 this morning I picked this up and read 250 pages.
If this event happens it’ll be Biblical, all the stuff you take for granted changes, drawing water from the Taps, Gas pumps won’t work, 'Lectric zapped, Think about it. WILD STUFF!
.Gov in disarray–shouldn’t be too drastic a change on that front! Who would notice? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
This is gonna be so Kool!

4 Likes

Happy community Anniversary @MICHAEL_LEE1.

2 Likes

I think this is key. Prepare for what you can afford to - economically, emotionally and physically. The rest we will all just have to deal with the best we can.

I’ve done all I can afford to do. I’ll probably unplug my TV tonight and make sure my phone isn’t plugged in. Then I’ll deal with whatever comes tomorrow the best I can. Just like I do every other day:)

3 Likes

Yes Sir,
We do what we can and let (you know who watch over us until this Country/World) rights itself.
I DON’T Panic. I just don’t, I never did. It’s just not in my DNA. I PREP. And I’m not even a serious Prepper. My view is a JIC Prep mode. Sure I have stuff some might say 'Well Don, Isn’t that a little extreme?
Well, I don’t like going hungry, or being cold, thirsty, in the dark, unarmed etc.
So, I prepped for those situations. I also don’t like last minute panic buying, along w/ Thousands of other of my fellow citizens. All I want is to be safe (or as safe as I can be). You know what people say right? Your best laid plans go right out the window w/ the first punch from Mike Tyson.
I did what I could to minimize the discomfort.

3 Likes

As this CME event is happening, the Water Board had a water main burst, and put out a boil water warning for 96 hours. I just went downstairs and broached a 55 ga. drum and we are hand pumping water. I try to keep a years worth of food, medicine, supplies and water on hand, while keeping the perishables in a FIFO inventory (First in First Out).

5 Likes

Site won’t allow me to post it, (files are wrong type or too big) but I have a short time lapse from north side of Denver of the northern lights!

It took me a minute to recognize what I was seeing, from this angle they’re quite different from what’s seen in Alaska or Canada.

None the less, this is real, and I personally viewed the northern lights from Denver Colorado!

No other effects than odd colors in the sky.

3 Likes

4 Likes

Got some good pictures here in the mountains of central Calif. Set the phone to night picture, turned off flash and pointed North. Bright red with blue tinge on the top. Would post picture if I could figure out how to do it.

3 Likes

Bottom right of the reply box

We could only see a bit of a white glow with the naked eye on the far Northern horizon which shouldn’t have been there since there are no towns or cities in that direction. But the camera set to long exposures captured purple and reddish splotches overhead and to the North. The light in the lower left is from a sliver of the moon behind the clouds.

Our satellite internet apparently had a couple of outages each less than a minute last night but seems to be working fine at the moment.

4 Likes

I honestly do not understand the article about your car being a farady cage at all - especially the parts where they recommend you keep the windows closed to increase the effectiveness. If my car was a faraday cage, then a cell phone would be completely useless from inside a car, especially if the windows are closed :rofl:

I am receptive to counter points …

2 Likes

I’m the same way. By hard core prepper standards I’d be a joke, but compared to 99% of the population, we’re pretty well set. All the political unrest and social issues aside, just the last week of storms should show everyone the need to be prepped for basic survival without infrastructure. Keep food, fuel, ammo, water and comms on hand. To me, water is one of the most important and overlooked needs. People have no idea how much water they use. I have a well, and would only ever choose to live in a house with one. I can’t feel secure depending on water from the government.

3 Likes

I can’t seem to access the site at the moment. Maybe they stuck their server in a faraday cage:)

I agree with your argument though. I’ve read how people test their faraday cages by sticking their phones in them and seeing if the phone can get a signal. I could see a vehicle maybe reducing the energy waves a little though. When I’m in the middle of nowhere trying to get a signal it sometimes helps to stick my phone out the window. Maybe CME and/or EMP waves can be more impacted by the metal shell than cell signals?

2 Likes

Prepper Lesson #1 : "Don’t DEPEND on ANYTHING from the .gov
(You’ve learned well Grasshoppa!)
Water is THE most important tool for survival, You can live without food for days
but you need water to stay alive…well and GUNS N AMMO too! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Washington State

7 Likes