Full frame .380 auto

I am looking to add a full frame .380 auto for home defense. But finding it hard to pin down what to purchase. Any suggestions?

3 Likes

Welcome Scott442 . IDK. But what do you think of the Smith Wesson EZ?

3 Likes

Hello and welcome @Scott442
Full frame .380 5”?
How about 4.25”

2 Likes

Hi @Scott442, welcome to the forum.

Not everybody’s definition of full frame is the same, so with that in mind, would you consider a Browning 1911-380 with 4-1/4" barrel full frame?
1911-380 Pistols - Browning

Edit: @Karacal, you were editing while I was typing :laughing:

4 Likes

Welcome

3 Likes

Welcome to the Community, @Scott442 :handshake:

Unfortunately the Idea of 380 was to have a less kick for a small gun… so I believe the only option for you is already proposed 1911 Family.

1 Like

The Beretta 80X might be another contender. I used to own an 84 - I still rue the day I sold it :frowning_face:

80X Cheetah | Beretta

6 Likes

The problem with most of the larger size .380s I see out there is they have single stack magazines with a limited capacity. If I had to settle for a .380 for home defense I might look into the Ruger Security .380. It has a 15 round magazine and while not full size should be big enough for most people to shoot comfortably. The smaller Sig P365 .380 has a 12 round mag option and should also be pretty comfortable to shoot as well.

The Beretta Cheetah pointed out by @Gary_H above would also be a higher capacity larger frame option. Though the double/single action trigger takes more time and practice for most people to master.

4 Likes

It is very comfortable to shoot! :sunglasses: I prefer it over the EZ.

2 Likes

Look at some Ruger or Taurus models :us:

Welcome to the community. Just so you know.
A semiautomatic weapon fires one shot every time the trigger is pulled. An automatic weapon fires continually until the trigger is released .

I am out of my house and can’t look it up. I think Walther has made a new .380 with a larger frame. I saw something about it in a gun magazine. Don’t hold me to it though. My memory is not what it used to be. Lol

1 Like

Yup.

2 Likes

There it is! Thanks sir,

2 Likes

I own one of these, It’s no longer in production. 'tho. Never had a malfunction. DA/SA. Thin for CC. Accurate thanks to fixed barrel. Lower recoil, so it’s possible to practice with.

1 Like

I have a little experience with the .380 cartridge compared to the 9mm Luger, both in standard loading, both fired from pistols with 4" barrels. I found very little difference in recoil between the two. None of the other handling characteristics were appreciably different either.

So, if recoil is the concern leading you to the .380, I’d recommend finding someplace to try some comparison shooting to see how it feels to you.

Welcome to the group, @Scott442 !

2 Likes

I’m surprised no one has talked about the Ruger Security 380. It’s a double stack 380 that has good size to it.

1 Like

My wife has the Ruger Security 380. It’s not a pocket gun. It’s a mid-sized pistol & shoots extremely well. Also holds 15 rounds with a big fiber front sight. I enjoy shooting it at the range unlike her smaller 380s which are by no stretch a range friendly pistol

3 Likes

Thank for all the feedback. I was able to try an Beretta 80X Cheetah and brought one.

6 Likes

… Just so you know… .380 Auto means .380 ACP :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like