From Fox News - GOP rep shouts down hearing witness for claiming nobody has died due to gun restrictions

GOP rep shouts down hearing witness for claiming nobody has died due to gun restrictions

5 Likes

Without context, it seems a bit weird to plant the 2A flag during that conversation. Maybe bring it up as an ā€œaha, gotchaā€ to another congressperson, but Iā€™d be pretty salty if I went to appear before a committee on topic A, and only got questions on topic Z.

Now, the gentleman proclaiming no one ever died for being denied 2Aā€¦ well, thats a special kind of lack of knowledge there.

2 Likes

Please forgive me if I missed something, but his question doesnā€™t seem relevant to the topic of debate

I believe it was quite relevant. The issue at hand was hindering minority access to a basic constitutional right. Although the speaker went to great lengths to point out 2A is also a basic constitutional right and these people are doing themselves and everyone else a disservice by targeting voter rights and not addressing the problem in terms of ALL constitutional rights. I think what the speaker did was commendable in the way it asserts that all constitutional rights should be protected from erosion.

4 Likes

Considering the Constitution does not grant our rights, but guarantees those rights, it is actually a valid point to argue that the Right to Keep and Bear Arms is indeed a right as much as voting.

ā€˜Jenkins said. "You are taking the time that weā€™re trying to deal with a constitutional right to be a citizen and turning it into something else.ā€™

Jenkins does seem to wan to cherry pick which rights are discussed, when it should be all of them and the Constitution itself that is defended and supported.

1 Like