Friday Favorite: League Handgun?

The pistol league at our local range starts up again in a week. This league has a variety of targets, scoring, and distances for shooting - which changes every week and we don’t know what the next week’s challenge will be until we get to the range.

Given the unknown aspect, I’m debating what handgun I’ll shoot with. I could use my carry firearm knowing I may shoot a little worse than using a full size 1911 but it gives me extra training with my carry. Or I could use my 1911 and go for points.

What would you do?

• Use a full size handgun - go for points
  • Use your carry gun - for extra training
  • Trade off depending on the challenge

0 voters

What firearm do you (would you) use to shoot in a league?

3 Likes

I answered go for points, BUT that’s contingent on how much training you normally do with your carry gun. I get the impression that you shoot several times a month so you may not need the extra training.

If your range time is a month or less frequently, then I would use the carry gun for the extra training.

3 Likes

If you’re just “playing” then use a large target pistol and go for points-if you are trying to improve SD skills, use what you carry. I’m not a competitive shooter these days, so I definitely would use what’s on my hip every day…

3 Likes

I’ve voted for FULL SIZE. Not only because of points (however: league means competition -> means scoring the points) but also to practice with other firearm that I use in home defense situations.
League gives extra stress during shooting, which is great for training.

3 Likes

It depends on the league and my mood. We have a 2 handed league. It’s for training and fun. Sometimes I use my 1911. Other times my Shield or my Sig in 380. Many of the people there have commented that I shoot my 380 best and should use that. It is my go to carry gun but I like to swap it up. I’m there for the training so if I lose a few points I am OK with that.

2 Likes

Full-size with either a SAO or DA/SA trigger.

2 Likes

Typically my Canik TP9SFx with the red dot… ok, it’s kinda cheating :smiley: but actually I have compete with stock glocks in a couple sizes and with my Caniks. I like to keep the same geometry, and the Glocks are all the same grip angle, the Caniks only slightly different. for me the geometry matters more than the size.

Since I don’t compete a lot, I don’t have a single competition gun. I’m not there to win, but to push myself so it doesn’t matter which of my roster of carry guns (compact or full size) I compete with. Its all good training.

2 Likes

Big difference between league and competition!!!

I have 2 S&W Model 41’s, (.22) a Colt 1911 (.45) for 50 ft competitions I no longer shoot but might shoot again someday… I have 2 S&W Victory’s (.22) for outdoor rimfire. One of them has an extra set of grips to adapt it to 50ft competition for my wife. All have red dot’s but my Victory (I’m stubborn).

I did shoot my comp guns for league and was jokingly told I was cheating. The comp guns are all 1 handed! If I can shoot 1 handed better than your 2 handed, I don’t think it’s cheating…

To me, this is one of those things that makes guns so much fun. Once I am done explaining the use for each gun, people really think I’m nuts!

2 Likes

League on the left, competition on the right.

3 Likes

I’ve never heard of a pistol league.

3 Likes

@Dawn, You’re a Professional. Use the right tool for the job. If you need extra trigger time with the carry gun, go train with that separately.

The 1911 sounds like the right tool.

3 Likes

Our “Community monthly target competition” can be treated as league :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

A lot of indoor ranges have them… once a week for 6 or 8 weeks, different courses of fire each week. Weekly winners, and a champion winner at the end of the series.

3 Likes

Understood, thanks.

2 Likes

Definitely go with the gun more suited for the purpose. If you are only ever going to shoot 1 gun, then why have 2. Your skills are being perfected with whichever gun you shoot.

5 Likes