Free Firearm Training

I know at the range I use they regularly have free class on the law from
defense attorneys. They also offer at minimum cost Intro to handgun safety and first time shooters. I’m sure if you check with your local range they probably have something similar. [quote=“ShawnT, post:1, topic:95, full:true”]
Hey Community!! Second topic from me. How does everyone feel about training for new firearm owners and those that don’t feel comfortable around firearms. Me personally, I think more people would feel comfortable if they had a better understanding.
[/quote]

2 Likes

I think it’s both depending. Most want to get the lead down range but the fundamentals are most important

1 Like

After carrying concealed for 20+ years and being in the military for 15 I can tell you that training is everything. To top it off it’s addictive. I started with yearly basic courses of fire for the M-9 and M-4 and moved on to tactical classes for the M-870. Then it was NRA basic Pistol and onto advanced pistol and instructor courses of fire. Now I’m looking at Gunsite and Thunder Ranch, yes the big money. Divorce may be in my future.

2 Likes

I put together an unofficial beginner firearms primer. Tried it once on a couple who knew nothing about guns. The guy loved it, the wife was bored. Then we went to the range and practiced. They liked it, but haven’t been back. They know who to talk to if they decide to pursue more training. I have talked with others, but many are apprehensive. If someone is considering attending their first LTC course, I would much rather they have a basic knowledge of firearms, and at least one trip to the range, instead of going in blind.

1 Like

We have offered free training to veterans, and some basic training to others. We have also offered training with the sirt device, and some shot trainers for indoor to churches and to students. We only have had very few responses. We would even enjoy talking about firearms safety, to churches, those members, children, students, etc. No takers. We are always available, and will continue to be.

2 Likes

I would love it. I haven’t been able to get any type like that and would for someone to go through some things with me in person just to tighten up the basics. Especially for free

1 Like

@TX_M what part of Texas are you in? might be someone on here in your general area… Sometimes even if you’re not working with an instructor, just having another experienced shooter watch you may yield a critical insight or two that you can use to improve your practice.

I live in Dallas, downtown area

1 Like