For the kids

We own a couple guns. It’s myself, 2 grown since and my grandkids. Oldest grandson is 9, too young for classes at the range.
I did take the advice of one topic and bought bear spray. One for the front door, one for the back.
Any ideas on how to include him in our home safety plan in a way that makes him feel relevant?
Most option crowd control devices are or of stock everywhere. He’s 10 next month. Think being in charge of one of the bear deterrents would be a bad idea? Any good ideas to help him feel empowered?

3 Likes

Get him a pellet or BB rifle and/or pistol. Not that it would do any good in a home defense situation but, it will allow you to instill in him Gun Safety Rules. I have a permanent scar from 45 years ago thanks to a BB.
Also, it will help train him on sight acquisition and trigger control; both of which will carry right over to powder burners.

4 Likes

If you have “family” drills or exercises for defense (similar to fire drills) and have a plan together for how to react to a particular event, put him in charge of conducting a drill or two. Opinions may vary, but as long as he is trained in the deployment of the spray, it would in my opinion be good for him. Gives him a sense of purpose and makes him an integral part of the team.

3 Likes

I got my 8 year old a Daisy BB gun. Like @Robert401 mentioned, I am instilling the safety rules into him now. When he shoots int he backyard, he learns to keep his finger off the trigger and is wearing eye protection when shooting.

3 Likes

If he hasn’t had training I think I would start with showing him how to get to safety and call for help (911, etc). You should also cover never opening the door for strangers no matter who they say they are and those type of things. He will feel relevant if you let him know that he (and your other grand kids) is at the top of the list of what you are trying to protect.

3 Likes

Another poster mentioned this in another thread, but the primary mission is to keep the youngster safe (or get them to safety), so focus his part of the plan on hiding, calling for help, keeping quiet and out of the way.

Do you honestly think in an emergency situation you would be able to focus knowing your 9 (soon to be 10) year old grandson was trying to take up a defensive position with bear spray? I’m guessing your focus will revert to him and his safety and therefore take you off task of being able to effectively defend yourself/home.

I’ve got a 14yr and 16yr old still at home and that’s their role…to get low, get out of harms way (either in the house or out whichever options presents itself as best) and get help on the phone.

Now that’s not to say you can’t take him to the range and familiarize him with firearms and allow him to shoot (start off with .22lr and then move up according to his comfort level). That will help ensure he has a healthy respect for and knowledge of firearms and hopefully be on his way to being a responsible gun owner one day.

But in the near term (my opinion) no to manning the bear spray, no to making him a “relevant role” in your home safety plan outside of hiding/escaping and maybe calling for help (with hiding being his first mission), so that gran can take care of business without worrying about him.

5 Likes

Beginning to hear a lot of concern from people and places not seen on this community. Desperate times, I guess! Think it’s time to remain calm and for most of us to follow our training. Some of the voices I’m hearing sound unfamiliar with confidence handling of home defense weapons. Wish we had more time to train and instruct. Nothing will prepare you more than physical training, the sights, sounds, capabilities, stress, etc.
When it comes to small children in the house where a firearm may be used, I would recommend some safety equipment nearby to don in emergency, headsets, eye protection, phone, first aid, reloading magazines, etc all of those things are relevant. An escape plan or a hide in place plan if escape is not possible.
At the very least teach the 4 basic rules of firearms handling.
Small hands, small weapons and very basic marksmanship. Even with bear spray.
I have two grown grandkids, they started training with me at ages 11 & 13. The situation we’re in now requires an explanation that I can’t even describe to my grandkids, I only have the knowledge that they are proficient in weapons handling and they understand self protection.
Overall, sounds like fear is not an option.

3 Likes

Check with your local 4H. Many have air rifle teams for kids, starting at 8 years old, and many have small bore(.22) starting at 10. You are the parents, so, it’s best for you to decide when your kids are ready to be introduced to firearms. That said, I started my son at 5. At 7, he was using a single shot, bolt action .22. Now, he’s 11. We were sighting in the new peep sights on HIS Ruger 10/22 yesterday. It helps that I’m the 4H rifle coach in my county.

3 Likes

Thanks, that’s been drilled in him for years. All the kids.

2 Likes

That would be great, but we’re in the city. No 4H

1 Like

That’s a common misconception. If you go to the 4H website, it can direct you to the clubs within your county. You don’t have to live in the country, to participate.

3 Likes