Flashlights!

1,000 Lumens. @Todd30

Please check all the links for the info on the light.

2 Likes

@Todd30

2 Likes

@Todd30

2 Likes

The streamlight HL-X is 1000lumens and 27,600 candela

Its not just the lumens that are important. Whenever possible, compare flashlights on their lumens, candela, and beam pattern. Some lights are better suited to some tasks than others. In the video i linked above the Modlite OKW with only 680 lumens (but 69,000 candela) outperformed all the other lights at distance including those with more than double the lumens. But that same light because of its tightly focused beam would be of less use indoors where a wider beam pattern would be much better.

A 60W bulb is ~800lumens, a 100w bulb is ~1600lumens. Neither of those will illuminate someone 20-30yards

2 Likes

So how suited do you think my light I’m plannng on getting will be?

1 Like

That’s a very nice light I would buy it.

The first question you have to ask yourself is “what is the purpose”? With that, we can answer whether or not it is suited to the task.

Is this going on an HD rifle? :+1: Its fantastic for that. It has IMO a good balance of flood & throw (near and far) and can throw plenty of light around pretty much any household. You can see a good distance outside as well. They have an available kit that comes with a mount & switch and you will have an ambidextrous setup very inexpensively.

The HL-X is very much a good “general purpose rifle light”.

Some scenarios, maybe you would want something else. You need something with more throw (75+yards), something more compact, you have money to burn on more expensive competition, going to war in the middle east, etc.

1 Like

It’s for use outside with situational awareness as an everyday carry light, to identify people from a distance if I need to, and check my surroundings.

1 Like

Ahhh, for an EDC light it may not be what you want. Personal preference plays a part here though.

The HL-X is meant as a tactical light, which means its pretty much on or off. 1000 lumens or 0 lumens. You can certainly pocket carry it (its a reasonable size IMO), and it will certainly identify people at a distance.

But for EDC you probably want something more purpose built for the task. For EDC you don’t always want full output (1000 lumens for the HL-X). Sometimes you might just want enough to read something in your hands or otherwise up close without losing your night vision. Maybe you will use it for extended amount of time and full output will certainly eat up battery, but if you can reduce to 1/2 or 1/4 the light you can extend the runtime by hours (days in some cases). If you use the light a lot ease of recharging will come into play.

Olight is a well regarded brand (there are several other Olight fans in here as well) and they make several models which are more EDC-like. I would recommend you take a look at their M2R Pro Warrior or maybe the slightly older M2R Warrior which are similar to the HL-X in that they are tail-clicky for tactical use, but the Olights also add a side switch to access lower-lumen modes when you dont need “all the lumens”. The body on the M2R Pro is slightly thicker because it uses the larger 21700 battery (HL-X uses one 18650 or two 123A), but the head is significantly narrower, making it easier to pocket carry. Olight’s magnetic recharging cable is quite frankly amazing, it is super simple to use (you don’t need to take the battery out) and it makes keeping the light charged up a breeze which is important for a light you’ll use every day. The older M2R Warrior (not pro) uses an 18650 battery so has slightly less lumens, runtime, and is more flood less throw than the newer Pro version.

Olight makes a couple other EDC lights like the S1R Baton II (this is my EDC) and S2R Baton II but those lights are way more flood than throw, not meant for distance. So for your states use-case they may not fit.

The M2R Pro Warrior is normally around $110 (comparable to the HL-X), but if you can wait I highly recommend signing up for their email list, and several times a year they have amazing sales where you can get stuff for up to 40% off.

There are some other brands as well for EDC lights, but Olight is my current favorite for pushing the limits of brightness, battery-tech, and convenience features geared towards the EDC market.

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

It’s just for general outdoor use, but it comes with the ten tap program. Other than 1,000 lumens it has 400 lumens and 65 lumens.

Accessing Other Programs
The ProTac¼ HL-X features a TEN-TAP¼ programmable switch allowing the user to select one of three different programs. To change to the next program, starting from the “Off” position, tap the switch rapidly 9 times (within 0.4 seconds per tap) and hold it down the 10th time. Continue holding the switch until the light turns off (approximately 1 second), then release the switch.

Available programs are High-Strobe-Low (Factory Default), High Only or Low-Medium-High.

1 Like

nebotools.com All weapons lights are out, wow. A sign of our times? :thinking:

1 Like

The HL-X is a great tactical light. Odds are you will just use it in primary mode as triple-clicking to get either low/high (depending on which mode you’ve set) will get tedious if you use it regularly. Some folks love the simplicity of on/off only, and some folks (like me!) love and use all the different modes regularly. We have lots of good options in flashlights, if you like the HL-X I think you’ll be happy with it.

As an aside, James Yeager had a video before Youtube nuked his channel ranting about this, he hated all the buttons and modes and eventually got Surefire to make a on/off only model the E2T-MV Tactician.

1 Like

Maybe I’ll like it maybe I won’t but I certainly see it as money worthy.

2 Likes

Update I just ordered one!

2 Likes

I was just looking at an Olight that uses CR123A batteries.
There are other models using rechargeable batteries.

My main concern is dependability of those that use rechargeable batteries compared to one that uses batteries you can find in store shelves, granted the CR123A is a specialty.

1 Like

I always go with CR123A lights. I do not trust rechargeable anymore. They lose their properties over the time and may fail easily in cold weather conditions.
CR123A are cheap and accessible everywhere. I always keep 2 extra in my bag.

4 Likes

@Jerzees

Thank you.

2 Likes

I’m using Surefire CR123A batteries. They are incredible. I bought 2 extra just in case
 and my first one still works great.
I know, I don’t use it so often these days, but the flashlight is still bright as before after several hours of low light condition trainings.

2 Likes

From nebotools.com in stock again. I have 4 (2 with the old switch and 2 with the new switch) and bought 2 more, I like them that much. :+1:
$44.99. Hi, Low and Strobe. CR123A Batteries

1 Like

I bought the blue one of these, a pair of NITECORE-NL1826R, and a pair of NITECORE-NL1835R. The batteries have a built in charging port, so no external charger. Superb items, all.

1 Like