Fixed vs Folding

@Erik17

Agreed! Welcome to the community, we are glad to have you here. Stay safe, Bruce and Nancy. :+1:

3 Likes

My EDC rotation is mostly folders, but here’s a sweet Ronin Fixed blade for good measure.

!

3 Likes

I prefer fixed blades for camp chores and woodcraft. A Randall #1 was my constant companion bush flying in Alaska in '94.
When I was involved with a SAR Posse in the Sierra National Forest I carried a folder, a Spyderco Rescue, and every once in awhile it got quite a work out,
So I guess it all depends on the situation!

3 Likes

Q: What’s your favorite knife?
A: To do what?

Camp? Survival? Self Defense? Pocket utility? EDC? Hunting?

Not trying to be a wise guy. Just like guns, I haven’t found one that meets my every need. My answer will change as frequently as my socks and fully dependent on anticipated tasks for the blade. That’s why I have a whole shelf in one safe dedicated to my custom fixed blade knives and a drawer full of folders and commercial fixed blades.

Oh I forgot to mention a plastic container with a bunch of vintage USA made SCUBA knives which are no longer made… yep, not one single USA manufacturer left of good dive knives and I hate the new breed of dainty blades :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

My “favorite” depends on the task at hand honestly.
I have a Morakniv Bushcraft Black in my get home bag. It’s not a huge fixed blade but it is plenty to get the job done.
My camp style knife is a TOPS Tahoma Field Knife. It’s a bigger knife that I know i can rely on for a lot.
For self defense pretty much anything with a softer metal than can take a razor edge. I don’t need the edge to last months, just long enough to get me out of the situation or to my firearms.

I could recommend knives all day, but they’re just as much about personal preference, grip and hand size as pistols are.

3 Likes

Ka-Bar does the heavy lifting while at camp and hunting, CRKT Moxie folder for EDC and the light work.

1 Like

A locking folder, because I will always carry it, and so it will always be there.

2 Likes

For edc and daily uses a folder is my preference. For self defense purposes a fixed blade is preferred.

4 Likes

I just snagged a couple of fixed blades to shore up my survival kits. An Esee 5 and a Gerber StrongArm. These are not daily carry knives, but likely to be attached to various packs and such that I might take into a survival situation. So ya, not very likely to see much use. Praying.

8 Likes

Welcome to the community,train hard and stay safe. from Michigan :smiley:

2 Likes

I’ve been looking for a fixed blade and that Gerber looks pretty sweet. I’ll have to check that out. :+1:

3 Likes

At the end of the day I am a sucker for pretty fixed blade knives…

!

6 Likes

nice collection of knifes you have there, brother

1 Like

Thanks!

2 Likes

Depends on the application. I do like carrying a pocket knife for everyday tasks like opening boxes, cutting sandwiches, opening mail, etc. I do prefer an auto OTF knife overall for these purposes. I also like carrying a weak side fixed blade. I never plan to use it, but if the need came up, a fixed blade is easier to draw and engage a threat if I cannot readily draw my carry gun. (I like having back ups for my backups for my back ups -Tactical Toolbox).

For outdoor purposes (camping, hiking, backpacking) I prefer a fixed blade and typically carry a bowie in these situations.

2 Likes

you gotta love a beautiful knife, don’t you? I’d love to be able to EDC a fine fixed blade, Just a simple, and sometimes beautiful tool.

3 Likes

I have about 4 folders and 3 fixed blades (CRKT brand. Except for the small Squid which is my regular carry, the rest are all locked up. Recently ord’d and rec’d the Izula and Izula-II fixed-blades with the Micarta grips by ESEE.

2 Likes

In CA, it’s is illegal to carry concealed a fixed blade knife of any length, the lawyers tell me.

1 Like

Struck me as funny, but forgive me for this. Portland hardly seems like the USA any more. My niece and her family used to go there all the time. Not any more and not after dark.

1 Like

In the field I carry a machete and a combat Bowie. Around town I have a pocket stile spring assist work knife, think Buck and a stiletto from Steel River in a less obvious place.