Fixed vs Folding

@Erik17

Agreed! Welcome to the community, we are glad to have you here. Stay safe, Bruce and Nancy. :+1:

2 Likes

My EDC rotation is mostly folders, but here’s a sweet Ronin Fixed blade for good measure.

!

2 Likes

I prefer fixed blades for camp chores and woodcraft. A Randall #1 was my constant companion bush flying in Alaska in '94.
When I was involved with a SAR Posse in the Sierra National Forest I carried a folder, a Spyderco Rescue, and every once in awhile it got quite a work out,
So I guess it all depends on the situation!

3 Likes

Q: What’s your favorite knife?
A: To do what?

Camp? Survival? Self Defense? Pocket utility? EDC? Hunting?

Not trying to be a wise guy. Just like guns, I haven’t found one that meets my every need. My answer will change as frequently as my socks and fully dependent on anticipated tasks for the blade. That’s why I have a whole shelf in one safe dedicated to my custom fixed blade knives and a drawer full of folders and commercial fixed blades.

Oh I forgot to mention a plastic container with a bunch of vintage USA made SCUBA knives which are no longer made… yep, not one single USA manufacturer left of good dive knives and I hate the new breed of dainty blades :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

My “favorite” depends on the task at hand honestly.
I have a Morakniv Bushcraft Black in my get home bag. It’s not a huge fixed blade but it is plenty to get the job done.
My camp style knife is a TOPS Tahoma Field Knife. It’s a bigger knife that I know i can rely on for a lot.
For self defense pretty much anything with a softer metal than can take a razor edge. I don’t need the edge to last months, just long enough to get me out of the situation or to my firearms.

I could recommend knives all day, but they’re just as much about personal preference, grip and hand size as pistols are.

3 Likes

Ka-Bar does the heavy lifting while at camp and hunting, CRKT Moxie folder for EDC and the light work.

1 Like

A locking folder, because I will always carry it, and so it will always be there.

1 Like

For edc and daily uses a folder is my preference. For self defense purposes a fixed blade is preferred.

2 Likes

I just snagged a couple of fixed blades to shore up my survival kits. An Esee 5 and a Gerber StrongArm. These are not daily carry knives, but likely to be attached to various packs and such that I might take into a survival situation. So ya, not very likely to see much use. Praying.

6 Likes

Welcome to the community,train hard and stay safe. from Michigan :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve been looking for a fixed blade and that Gerber looks pretty sweet. I’ll have to check that out. :+1:

3 Likes

At the end of the day I am a sucker for pretty fixed blade knives…

!

1 Like

nice collection of knifes you have there, brother

Thanks!

1 Like