first to call is very important

some time back while residing in another state… was late at night… raining… and one of the street lights had gone out on my route… which just happened to be right about where I turned onto my street…

I had seen the bicyclist as I drove toward my turn but thought he was too far back to reach me by the time I was going to turn…

so I hit the blinker and started my turn and BANG bicyclist hits my front bumper???

he said to me… I saw you but thought I could beat you here???

so insurance info etc exchanged… called in when I got home and was told where to file a report so the next day before work went to report the accident where I was told to go…

told officer about it all and asked to fill out a report… while I’m filling out the report a call comes in…

I heard the officer… oh? he’s right right now filling out an accident report… and I can see he is entering in the information he says you gave him… so saying he left the scene sounds kinda wrong…

the thensaid officer said OK and hung up… looked at me and said I’ll get you a copy of everything… FREE…

insurance finally got back to me at a later date… all the bicyclist wanted was repairs to his bike…

hmmm… pays to be first to report an incident ESPECIALLY if a firearm or self defense is involved!!!

otherwise things could go very wrong for you!!! Report it!!!

8 Likes

I don’t disagree, however, some of us have had some pretty questionable contacts with police. I for one don’t call the cops. My wife is a little more eager to call but even she knows, get the cops involved and things can go really really bad very quickly.

5 Likes

perhaps… guess it depends on your area and if you have a relationship of any sort with said officers?

even so calling em and reporting things is a form of self defense…

getting on record first can often save you some trouble later…

but I hear you… depends on so many things and yet lawyers often say they need a paper trail???

5 Likes

Wow, that’s so unfortunate but often true. The kicker is, if you’re not first to report the incident whoever the witnesses are can do so and paint their version that can and sometimes do conflict with whatever you may claim later.

That’s why I teach, call 911 (give them the basic facts), call your attorney (if you can’t get them, leave a detailed message), and call your family (inform them of the fact that you called your attorney and to let them know where you may end up, and that they are not to consent to any searches without a warrant or your attorney present, but no other details beyond that). Try to maintain your composure.

5 Likes

I’ve never had a negative LEO interaction. I’ve called the police many times within the context of our church security team and in the course of my employment. (I even had to call the police on a coworker for something shady he did.) I totally agree with being the first to make the call.

I’m glad your situation worked out and appreciate the anecdote.

1 Like

I absolutely agree. You need to call 911 first.

3 Likes