First Time Carrying In Public

You have to realize I was starting work in a gun shop, owned and operated by one of the Lieutenants of the local Metro Police Department. Everyone else on duty there were Police, Sherriffs, and US Gov Officers. I was the odd man - “in”. It was an honor.

3 Likes

My first time? That’s between me and that poor girl…oh wait…what’s the topic?

Oh, sorry, head was somewhere else…yeah…carrying concealed the first time…Thought everyone knew I had a gun, thought everyone was out to kill me, thought, “Damn this damn holster is digging into my skin”, Kept picturing the scene from Blazing Saddles, “Excuse me while I whip this out.”

Edit: and that’s the only scene I actually laughed at in the movie. The rest was cringworthy.

2 Likes

Please remember this is a family friendly forum… :confused:

Thanks!

6 Likes

I may have eluded to things, but never said anything…:wink:

I will always keep it above the line. :slight_smile:

1 Like

But I did edit to soften it even more :slight_smile:

1 Like

Particularly since Blazing Saddles just got a trigger warning slapped on it recently :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

haha, you are the fine-thin line that comes running from that back to cause trouble hahahaha

Just messing. One thing, I love your boldness.

I’m sure it got you into much trouble growing up. If your like me, you tasted a few dial soap bars over your youth! haha

2 Likes

Nervous & paranoid…

I thought everybody saw my :gun:. Standing in line (before the 6 foot social distancing) took way too long. It’s crazy because some folk open carry around here & others print so bad they may as well be.

I also remember 1st time carrying at :church: & the 1st encounter with LE.

Confidence & comfort come in time. :muscle:t5::v:t5:

1 Like

My very first time…”I hope I don’t get caught.” I then ask myself, “caught by whom?” I reminded myself that I was legal. Once I calmed down I might have started walking like Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder in “Stir Crazy.”

4 Likes

I can honestly say I have not only tasted, but eaten a few bars of soap. I consider it a right of passage to adulthood :wink:

As my wife and I like to say, we’ve earned these wrinkles!!!

2 Likes

Cheers to that brother!

The pleasures of being an adult, bills, worries, and regrets :rofl:

For the record, I would love to go back and wash the thought of being an adult out my mind with a bar of dial soap haha

2 Likes

I want to address your #3 comment. I found the same when I started carrying and went with a CC handbag. Not ideal, but I still use one when I’m dressed in something not conducive to a holster. Normal times, I wear jeans & T-shirts. Jeans never fit me well in the waist (you know “the gap” at the back). I borrowed one of my hubby’s belts and it really works. Turns out, for me, the sturdier belt is better. Women’s are flimsy. Bought my own in the men’s department, then prettied it up with a small, flat rectangular silver belt. I carry IWB, that and the belt have made a huge difference. I, also, now buy my T-shirts one size larger and never have a printing problem. I have never wore my shirts tucked in as that’s uncomfortable to me.

4 Likes

That’s a great upgrade :+1:

If you decide to take it to the next level, you will be surprised how much better a belt labelled as a “Gun Belt” is. There are a plethora of them available on Amazon, sporting goods stores that sell guns and holsters, as well as almost every holster maker/brand. You can also find a lot of reviews on this site, Amazon, pewpewtactical, etc.

3 Likes

Great idea. I’m one of those shoppers who like to feel things. I had bought a few online, wasn’t happy and had to return. Most labeled for women were too soft and sagged with the weight of the handgun. A female deputy sheriff recommended the men’s department. I ended up finding just the perfect belt for me. replaced the heavy buckle with something a little more “girly”. Found another one, tooled leather, at the local western store that I liked. My husband bought a small silver buckle for it. I don’t normally dress in western wear (only during rodeo week, because everyone does here) but it works really well with jeans.

3 Likes

a word of caution about “gun belts” on Amazon… I have asked various companies online if their belts are sturdy enough to carry guns and have been told–yes… I ordered 2 from one company-- $60.00 each and when I got them NO!!! Nice dress belts, but for $20.00 more, you can get true gun belts from holster makers (I like theis holsters-- https://www.theisholsters.com/) or your local gun range. I use a CrossBreed Belt that I purchase from my gun range… with 15% discount… $60.00…

2 Likes

I appreciate what you are saying @Danny28, I am guessing you tried Amazon’s "best seller " aka Relentless Tactical? I have been using a Daltech Force belt for a couple years that I bought off Amazon. I don’t stress it very much as I carry a 16 oz subcompact 1911 and a spare magazine most of the time. I have recently changed to a Commander/compact 1911 at roughly twice the weight. I intend to start a thread about the differences I’ve encountered making the change.

1 Like

My first time was horrible. I kept thinking everyone could see. I went from 5pm to 4pm to 1pm to 11. I finally settled on 1pm, appendage carry seems to work for me.

3 Likes

Welcome to the family and god bless you.

2 Likes

@ray23. Welcome to the family,train hard and be safe, from Michigan.

3 Likes

Yes, I remember thinking everyone would be able to see I was carrying. Truth is, nobody notices.

I accidently carried in places that don’t allow it a few times. In my state it’s only a misdemeaner offense. I have figured out that nobody really cares. Question: when was the last time you were stopped anywhere and patted down by a law enforcement officer to see if you were carrying? For nearly all of us, that would be never.

Carry on, friends.

4 Likes