First AR-15

I just purchased my first AR-15

https://www.del-ton.com/DTI-16-Carbine-MOE-Rifle-p/rfth16-mlok.htm

I am new to this platform and a little nervous about the operation and if I made a good choice when it comes to an entry-level rifle. Any feedback would be appreciated

7 Likes

Youtube is a wonderful place to review firearms and to see what some avid shooters think of the different firearms.

I have made several purchases from those recommendations. Hope this helps

5 Likes

YouTube is excellent to learn.

I think before buying anything, I spend hours on Youtube just learning about the firearm.

7 Likes

I have a del-ton, it was also my first ar-15. I’ve since added to my collection, but it is still the one I choose when I go to the range. It’s very reasonably priced as well. Good choice.

5 Likes

Del-Ton is a great first AR, you can learn what you like, what you don’t, easy to change stuff on and if it gets a little scratched and weathered it’s no worse for wear. Once you establish what you prefer, there’s nothing wrong with going for a premium rifle as a “go to” rifle. Daniel defense, BCM, LWRC to name a few.

5 Likes

Congratulations! You did fine! Del-ton makes a fine rifle. I have one and it has never failed me. Be proud of what you have! As you gain more experience it will also make a fine rifle to start making mods to and testing to see what works best for you. Let us know how it works out for you. Congratulations again! You will have BRD (Black Rifle Disease) before long and be broke like the rest of us.
John

5 Likes

Avoid listening to the internet operators, you’ve got a good weapon. As your skill improves you’ll make changes to the rifle. We all have! YouTube has some great videos on how to field strip and clean it.

If I could warn you about only ONE thing, I would warn you about what range to zero it at. Please do your OWN research and be realistic in your skills and what you want out of a rifle. There are pros and cons to all of them, so find the zero you think best fits your needs(wants) and stick with it till you get more familiar with the platform. Then maybe revisit what zero you want to go with.

5 Likes

I’m in the same boat will be purchasing one before the end of the year. But this one looks really nice and the price is great. Any time you can get an AR for under $1000 it’s a great deal. This one looks very decent.

4 Likes

I’ve actually seen several Delton reviews in the past few months, pretty positive noting that usually this is a budget option, from folks like Mr GunsNGear, Sootch00, nutnfancy, Military Arms Channel, etc. They note it misses a few features on some other mid/upper level competition, but all noted it was reliable with no failures.

I’m thinking, you should be plenty fine.

5 Likes

USCCA dashboard has weekly training for beginners with AR15s. I watched them and they are very good. Go to the training and education section/weekly training.

4 Likes

My combat vet best friend just got a Del-Ton upper. He was quite pleased with it, especially with how little he had to pay. Based on his experience, I would buy one if I needed it.

Welcome to the black rifle club. It is America’s Rifle. You will never regret having it. Well done!

4 Likes

The owner of my favorite gun shop, prefers the Del-Ton Guns over Smith and Wesson and Ruger. He has one as a home defense gun. They are a fine gun.

5 Likes

Don’t everyone get wrapped around the axle about uppers/lowers and barrels and name brands. For lowers in mass production there are about 6 providers, the only difference is the engraving. For uppers there are four providers. For barrels there are about 5 providers. That does not include the high end custom shops that produce one at a time for all of the above. Del Ton gets their stuff from the same folks that Knight Armament’s that supplies the Navy SEAL’s get their stuff from.

I like Aero Precision M4E1 because of their features but if I needed a general AR cheap build I’m good at $49.00 for a Del-Ton or PSA or what ever. AR kit prices are up about $100 from 6 months ago and that is due to having to buy an assembled bolt carrier. They were $500 guns but are now closer to $600 guns to build your own. You would really have to sell me on some Voo Doo to get me to pay $1K+ for an AR-15 platform. AR-10 mebby.

Cheers,

Craig6

6 Likes

The internet is a fantastic resource. Just be cautious of self proclaimed experts and the hold my beer and watch this type.

Watch multiple sources and only start to believe what you see once you’ve seen 3 or 4, or more, say the same thing.

6 Likes

Congrats on your first AR purchase. It is an enjoyable platform to shoot. Being retired and on a budget, I built my rifle for $400. I built a pistol last year for $409. Both prices are before taxes, sights and magazine. With Covid and riots, the pistol build would cost $600 now. I have taken several people to the range including teens and an eleven year old. They all love the AR pistol as it quite accurate with little recoil. Range time has been curtailed as I was paying 30 cents a round last summer and seventy now. You have a rifle that will last many years as is or you can modify it as the possibilities are endless. Enjoy.

4 Likes
5 Likes