Firefighter/EMT - Armed Ambulance Personnel Your Thoughts?

A very troublesome situation that should not exist. Folks like yourself who dedicate themselves to helping others in their time of need should not be risking their own lives doing so. This turns my stomach. Paramedics, Firefighters, should not have to double as Police Officers. Maybe that’s the answer… Hire enough Police Officers that would make it possible for at least one Officer responding alongside each ambulance call… at the very least, have them (Police Officers) shadow Ambulance calls in areas known for the very criminal conduct you describe. This may be wishful thinking on my part, but in my humble opinion I believe Ambulance/Paramed Personnel has to focus 100% of their attention and efforts on the person/persons in need of their help. Adding carrying a firearm and the incredible responsibility that goes with it… knowing full well being distracted from your primary responsibility, helping others in need, could create a catastrophic outcome. My personal wish would be having well trained Police Officers, handle the “protection” needs of all ambulance personnel. Thank you for all you do to help others and please stay safe.

5 Likes

Good Point.

1 Like

Welcome aboard KMO, As a past volunteer Fire fighter and part of the volunteer EMT squad in a very rural town, I feel for you. Back in the late 60’s and beyond, when insurrectionist/arsonists would set fires, they would try to pick-off the fire fighters with firearms.

4 Likes

The BG’s? Aren’t they all dead? :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face:
God they were annoying!

Welcome Back geoff! (Sorry, it was your turn!) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

I am surprised this is even an issue. Too many people in high ranking positions want to dictate rules and regulations to prevent the real workers from protecting themselves . Common sense would tell you that some if not all ff/emt’s should be carting. However, they need to be trained, certified and have to maintain their certification. I am all for it!

5 Likes

Let’s not get to confused about all of this. I would not advocate for EMT’s rolling in and engaging a house full of crack heads while trying to save the life of a gal that OD’d in the basement. I just want them to have the means to suppress and evade. Also as I’ve said before, it would be a bit of a deterrent.

4 Likes

Welcome and Yup

3 Likes

Welcome to the community and thanks for your comment. I would think if a FF/EMT wanted to protect them selves they will get the training they need. I think everyone who can safely carry a gun or have a way to defend themselves and others should. I guess it’s more complicated than that. Looking forward to your input.

1 Like

@Philip_A Welcome to the community!

2 Likes

I. Live in a small town. In Texas. And . The EMT.’s carry. !! And . We . Have. A lot of Reserve. Deputies. And firefighters. And. HELL. Yes. This Day .In. Time. Our. First Responders!! Can. And .Will. Defend. Them. Selfs. And. The. Victims. Of. A. Tragedy.!!! How can you SAVE.someone’s LIFE. If .someone is truly. Trying to KILL YOU ??? HELL. Yes. DEFEND. Your self. At. ALL TIMES. Love Bobby Jean an. Debbie ann. :chile::us::100::100::100:here’s a Root.Beer. For. All you all . DO.FOR.US.:beer::us:THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. :heart::white_heart::blue_heart::bangbang:

1 Like

Bruce71, well said where . I live. !! Every firefighter and EMT. Is . Reserve. Deputies. !!! Love Bobby Jean. A Debbie ann. Here’s ya a . Root.Beer. .:beer::chile::us::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::cherry_blossom::cherry_blossom::heart::white_heart::blue_heart::bangbang:SIR.

1 Like

Steve353. Our EMT’s and Firefighters. Are. Reserve. Deputies.!! And a lot of the . Citizens of this town.!! Here’s ya a Root.Beer. SIR. :beer::chile::us:.Love Bobby Jean an.Debbie ann. :heart::white_heart::blue_heart::cherry_blossom::cherry_blossom::cherry_blossom::100::100::100::bangbang:

Dude!! Chill! Calm Respectful discourse, that’s what we’re about here. Agree to disagree and be done with it without the

4 Likes

Thanks for your service!

With the current WH Admin’s “Defund the Police” agenda, we can not count on law enforcement agencies to be able to cover us all (made the old adage “I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy” a stark reality).

Remember the Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990 was passed as part of a suite of legislation that Joe Biden sponsored, known as the Crime Bill. How has that worked out (rhetorical question)? While he and the elites are protected with tax payer funded armed security.

And the criminals became more brazen knowing George Soros backed woke, Progressive DAs won’t prosecute many crimes anymore.

Add to this the likelihood that most criminals looking to rob others are carrying illegally and do not need to steal our weapon to rob us (If we outlaw guns, then only the outlaws will have guns).

Looking at the USCCA maps makes states like MD the most dangerous places since their 2nd amendment stances are anti American, and Anti-God (God gave American our inalienable rights, not man). This unfortunately makes them battlegrounds. They will need the most help. But the help needed isn’t more government. It’s less.

I say arm everyone and start by teaching safe gun handling in schools. Companies like USCCA should be mainstream, teaching safe gun handling. I remember when the NRA stats showed that legal conceal carry owners PREVENT more crime than adding to it by always carrying. Those are stats suppressed by the Big tech and MSM monopolies.

I think we can all attest to how much more “responsible” we all now feel when carrying and know how much safer the society will be with more of us walking around.

But we need to change the party running things in this country and make America SAFE again.

Every vote for Trump will make everyone safer. Who can be against that?

4 Likes

I absolutely agree! As an EMT for a large ambulance corporation myself & a CCW holder within my state, I believe we should be able to carry on the job for protection. Though it’s against company policy, on the other hand that’s when wrongful death lawsuits can come into play. As with fellow coworkers in another state (same company) were shot & killed for their meds & equipment while sitting at a post providing service coverage waiting for a call. With that they were able to protect themselves as well if only the company would have allowed them to. So the dangers are definitely there no matter if you’re on a call or not.
As to the other comments about retention, if policies were to change, that’s when we would be able to carry with triple to quadruple threat retention holster. Furthermore, depending on area & types of calls, there’s a large amount of calls that don’t get or have police attached to it.
So if we as first responders are there to help & save lives, why should we jeopardize ours without the possibility of protecting ourselves?

7 Likes

Welcome

4 Likes

Hello and welcome @JonesMD

3 Likes

Welcome JonesMD. Feel for you.

I’m not EMT, but have had similar experiences as you my friend.

I realize this can be an emotionally laden topic, Unions. But do EMT’s in some regions have an option to be in their local Union? Not sure if that is a good or bad thing or even if a Union would support exploring such self defense preparedness as CCW.

Be well.

2 Likes