Finally Taking the USCCA CCHD Instructor Certification!

I’ve been a certified instructor through the NRA for over a decade. But for the last few years, it’s really not been anything I’ve spent any time maintaining due to changes in my job/life and my complete disinterest in the organization. I joined the USCCA a while back knowing that the work they were putting in behind the scenes to offer a genuinely purpose-built training ecosystem.
So today, I finally registered to take the CCHD Instructor certification and can’t be more excited!

10 Likes

I wish you the best of luck in the training,and there are so many new weapon owners that know nothing about weapons safety

3 Likes

Based on the conversations I’ve had online and offline it also seems that there is a much stronger interest for knowledge. It may not be the loudest voice in the room compared to the obnoxious Tiktok and youtube junkies that think they have it all figured out because they dropped a bunch of money (or a little) and went to some range and a buddy “showed them how”. But there is an honest thirst for knowledge and direction given the state of things.

5 Likes

Best to you, I’m confident that you’ll also bring a lot to the community as well, so it sounds like a win/win situation for sure. Big up’s to you. Here, here!

1 Like

Due to the school of thought ‘that the body can’t go where the mind hasn’t been’ sorta lends space to that thinking. The discussion type modality affords you the opportunity to share experiences that will be pertinent to one’s survival is paramount. Having both experiences can be of great benefit to you (having had both experiences) and will definitely be a great benefit for the people that you will teach. I’m excited about your future as it pertains. Again, my very best wishes to you in this connection.

1 Like

:crossed_fingers:

1 Like

This is great news. I got certified a few weeks back and I’m very impressed with the training materials, the curriculum, the different certifications and the assistance provided by the USCCA.
The information provided to new gun owners and the training philosophy that the USCCA puts forth in their classes is really second to none. I’m really glad you have decided to become an instructor. Over the last few years there has been an incredible amount of growth of new gun owners. As an instructor I want to make sure that they are well informed, well trained, well mentored and capable of becoming safe and responsible firearms owners and users.

2 Likes

An early congrats to you.

1 Like

I had an incident that came close. But I didn’t hesitate or fumble around. It seemed everything happened at a slower speed as I reacted to an incident that was inside Tueller drill distance. I completely believed I was in danger of grievous bodily harm or even death.

I truly believe that due to the practice, drill, mindset, and practicing (mental scenario’s). That was what caused my body to move almost like I was on wires. I can remember while I palmed a blade in one hand, prepared my draw with the other. To get off the X and move to where my cars engine was, so that I would have cover and not just concealment. It also allowed me to turn it off when I could see that the event that precipitated the incident was now stopped by my actions.

So I put everything, back in place. Chatted with a lady and left.

2 Likes

@Luddite_Vic
Congratulations! :muscle: :handshake:

2 Likes

@Garand4Life Congratulations on taking that next step to become a USCCA Certified Instructor.

1 Like

@David237 thanks!

1 Like

You were experiencing the fight or flight response. Glad your training was onboard to provide for you. You referred to the slow speed; I used to refer to it as “the matrix moment.” Before the matrix moment, I referred to it as “the long second.” lol. Now that I’m aware of the fight or flight syndrome, I’m better able to recognize what’s going on physiologically and psychologically. As you are and have so aptly described. Many people are not aware of what’s going on and respond poorly to the body’s alarm system. Anybody that has ever been frightened or scared have experienced some physiological effect, i.e., the slow motion or long second. Often times we dismiss it because we don’t know what it is or how to describe it or what label to put on it. When I have told and described the “long second” to others, they gave me that look…you know that look that says, “he’s either making this up or he’s got friends that can’t nobody see but him.” But it’s real! Just another reason why I’m grateful for training.

“The body’s “fight or flight” defenses are coordinated by a variety of interconnected structures in our brain and sympathetic nervous system…” The amygdala (the “Fire Alarm”) is responsible for initiating the body’s “fight or flight” defenses whenever it receives sensory input that matches predefined alarm circuits. Sensory input reaches the amygdala from the thalamus (the “Switchboard”) along two paths. One path is a direct connection, while the second path is first routed through the sensory cortex (the “Thinker”). The route through the cortex is known as the long route or the higher brain, while the direct connection is known as the short route or the reptilian brain. To learn more about how these structures initiate and maintain our “fight or flight” defenses… " Get a copy of CCHDF Handbook and refer to pages 170-186. Get yours today if you don’t already have one.

There is no substitute for training and practicing that training. It all has a purpose which you have alluded to.

1 Like